All-Star Slowing Progression?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What about the coaches that don't spot though and keep allowing the kids to eat mat? You know, the keep chucking it till you figure out how to land and if you get hurt your doing it wrong?

Our coaches will spot you all day long for years and encourage you to throw it without ever making you do it until you say you are ready!!

My personal kid decided (and a lot of people on FIerceboard have already commented on it so I'm bringing it up here because I feel like my kid is being singled out) maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyways Jaylen thought doing a full out of a round off and a BHS should be the same thing. So she thought it would be no different and she could throw it ... She attempted it never having done it and fell. She got up smiling!

After being spotted on her full for a year getting it then being spotted on and off for the next year before ever being confident enough to finally decide she can do it consistently even if a coach isn't around (Ro BHS full). she told me a few weeks ago after she got it back consistent tumbling is easy when you are not scared.

She said she is not going to be scared anymore because that's why she couldn't do it.

At open gym they do spot if you need it. It was like the last couple of mins of open gym she got out of line then told a coach to watch her and I videoed. She attempted the round off full. She fell. She got up happy and did it again with corrections about her feet and her set/spin and she did it a second time it was better making it almost all the way around and only landing on her butt. The 3rd and last time she did it she used another correction he gave her and this time she found her feet although she balled it up and didn't make it around. She was satisfied in 3trys she found her feet. He gave her more corrections and unfortunately she has to wait till open gym tomorrow to use them. She was so happy last night. No she is not scared but she also said she doesn't want to be spotted like she use to on her full because then she will think she needs them there and she doesn't want them. If my kid wanted a spot they would give it to her in a second, if they didn't think she could apply any corrections after they seen her first one they would put a stop to it. They realized with Jaylen it just clicked and they are ok with her doing a trial and error thing till she gets it right because she can take their corrections and apply them. I promise she won't be doing anything new until they are comfortable with that.

However if my kid can realize that she would become dependent on a spot if she got one on it then that's what works for her. It doesn't matter how perfect your kid can do it with a spot when a coach steps awY if your kid is still scared they can make mistakes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the coaches that don't spot though and keep allowing the kids to eat mat? You know, the keep chucking it till you figure out how to land and if you get hurt your doing it wrong?
Well there's where I'm lucky and I know it. We don't have those coaches and really never have. Ours have always been sticklers for technique and safe progress. The one that raised him primarily as a tumbler was a gymnast for 14 years. He also raised my carpool/Navarro/sot baby from a jank backyard handspring, but he was meticulous about it.

Omg so just say the coaches are ridiculous for allowing Jaylen to attempt it by herself and no one there should be coaching. ::banghead::

I think as the kids get older they are their own worst enemy with progressing in tumbling because there is a greater fear of getting hurt, especially for those who have already been hurt working on a certain skill. No matter what a coach says to them - even that they are 100% ready - it does not matter one bit until they are ready to own that skill. And I agree, that's when they've truly got it.

For the younger kids, there might not be any fear yet. Or there may be the desire to please a coach or a parent. But I do think particularly with the younger kids it is tantamount for a coach to make sure a kid is truly ready to try it on their own, and not allow them to try it just because they really want to. The trade off of getting seriously injured versus possibly jankily landing a new skill to me is not worth it.
I totally agree here. For whatever trick of the mind cp14 has associated her two to full with her broken arm last year. We're not exactly sure when she broke it, or how, we realized two weeks later (this weekend actually a year ago) that she was tumbling on it broken and during that time she'd been working on no two to full so I guess that's where it comes from. But until she's ready to face that demon and throw it herself, she'll stay a where she is. And that's fine. The comforting thing is that when she is ready and she does decide to own it, she's got it. I think even she believes that, she's just terrified of that particular pass for some reason.

But you're completely right about age. Younger kids just seem to chuck stuff even when they crash and the desire to make coaches and mom happy they will go right back to it. Not so much with teenagers. Something about puberty (at least with girls) it's like they start realizing "this could be tragic" and the mental blocks come. I've seen kids with level 5 skills never able to go backwards ever again (literally) or lose two levels of tumbling all over blocks when they were fearless as pre-teens.

Omg so just say the coaches are ridiculous for allowing Jaylen to attempt it by herself and no one there should be coaching. ::banghead::

???
I don't see how this is about your kid. This started as a question about parents wanting to SLOW progression then evolved into a general discussion about coaches pushing to get higher level teams.

???
I don't see how this is about your kid. This started as a question about parents wanting to SLOW progression then evolved into a general discussion about coaches pushing to get higher level teams.
Read @Cheer dad and @cheermommaRN post about people just throwing it which is obviously the discussion on my video that I posted late last night

???
I'm joining you in the confused department.

I totally agree here. For whatever trick of the mind cp14 has associated her two to full with her broken arm last year. We're not exactly sure when she broke it, or how, we realized two weeks later (this weekend actually a year ago) that she was tumbling on it broken and during that time she'd been working on no two to full so I guess that's where it comes from. But until she's ready to face that demon and throw it herself, she'll stay a where she is. And that's fine. The comforting thing is that when she is ready and she does decide to own it, she's got it. I think even she believes that, she's just terrified of that particular pass for some reason.

But you're completely right about age. Younger kids just seem to chuck stuff even when they crash and the desire to make coaches and mom happy they will go right back to it. Not so much with teenagers. Something about puberty (at least with girls) it's like they start realizing "this could be tragic" and the mental blocks come. I've seen kids with level 5 skills never able to go backwards ever again (literally) or lose two levels of tumbling all over blocks when they were fearless as pre-teens.
ONE time, when I was doing a spotted BHS with my Open team I panicked just after jumping.. I ended up whipping right with my head/shoulders and kicked my spotter in the face.

The rest of the year, no matter how strong/ready I was to do it by myself, it wasn't going anywhere. EVERY single time I tried, I'd whip right, no matter how many drills I did with myself perfectly going back..no matter how the coach was barely touching me with a spot- wasn't happening.

Read @Cheer dad and @cheermommaRN post about people just throwing it which is obviously the discussion on my video that I posted late last night

Maybe. Maybe not. We've seen tons of examples of this. Plus, who knows when facebook posts are seen. I just saw the video pop up on my feed in the last half hour or so. If you feel so strongly about it, though, you may want stop and consider why you feel that way. You mentioned paranoia but maybe it's your subconscious;). (Kidding there!)

There's a huge difference between crash and burn coaches allowing progression to skills the athlete is not ready for (I just got my round off handspring tuck, time to attempt a full) and a coach that isn't spotting a kid on a skill that they are capable of and ready to be working on, or moving to the floor. (I got my RO HS Full, I'm going to work on RO Fulls)

If you're not a coach, I wouldn't get too crazy with pointing fingers on what's good or bad, or proper or improper. Every single coach has probably learned things differently. Are there bad coaches? Absolutely. But are coaches that don't do things the way you agree with bad coaches? No, and I'd be careful of getting too deep into that conversation.

ONE time, when I was doing a spotted BHS with my Open team I panicked just after jumping.. I ended up whipping right with my head/shoulders and kicked my spotter in the face.

The rest of the year, no matter how strong/ready I was to do it by myself, it wasn't going anywhere. EVERY single time I tried, I'd whip right, no matter how many drills I did with myself perfectly going back..no matter how the coach was barely touching me with a spot- wasn't happening.
That's where she is. No one can slay that demon but her. I'm hoping for her sake it's sooner as opposed to later but as I've said even on this forum before, when it becomes more important to her to throw it then to be afraid of it, it will happen. But no one can choose that for her. We just have to rep with a spot and give lots of encouragement until she decides because it will be the most terrifying thing ever for her when she decides it's time to go for it.

She'll hit it though....and I will cry.

One of her teammates just had this moment last week at practice. Several kids on her team had her experience and this one hasn't thrown a running full in two years. Doesn't even need a spot just has to have them standing there. Technically it's probably the best full on the team. It's gorgeous. They played with her for months...she'd set and they'd seat roll out from under her and stand up. Everyone would laugh but it was not happening without that presence on the mat. Then she just decided.....in a full out....maybe she forgot she was supposed to have someone stand there but she threw it. Killed it. The place went crazy! The parent section exploded, her mom burst out in tears. They ran it again. She did it again. She's done it every time since. Coaches cried, her mom ran onto the mat (it was okay, this was a huge moment and the coaches we all waving her over) and they hugged and cried while the team pummeled her. It was such a special moment. Love those ReignCats.

One day that will happen for my kid. When she's ready.

Last edited:
That's where she is. No one can slay that demon but her. I'm hoping for her sake it's sooner as opposed to later but as I've said even on this forum before, when it becomes more important to her to throw it then to be afraid of it, it will happen. But no one can choose that for her. We just have to rep with a spot and give lots of encouragement until she decides because it will be the most terrifying thing ever for her when she decides it's time to go for it.

She'll hit it though....and I will cry.

One of her teammates just had this moment last week at practice. Several kids on her team had her experience and this one hasn't thrown a running full in two years. Doesn't even need a spot just has to have them standing there. Technically it's probably the best full on the team. It's gorgeous. They played with her for months...she'd set and they'd seat roll out from under her and stand up. Everyone would laugh but it was not happening without that presence on the mat. Then she just decided.....in a full out....maybe she forgot she was supposed to have someone stand there but she threw it. Killed it. The place went crazy! The parent section exploded, her mom burst out in tears. They ran it again. She did it again. She's done it every time since. Coaches cried, her mom ran onto the mat (it was okay, this was a huge moment and the coaches we all waving her over) and they hugged and cried while the team pummeled her. It was such a special moment. Love those ReignCats.

One day that will happen for my kid. When she's ready.
Why am I tearing?

Why am I tearing?
We get those moments a lot on that team. Such a special group of people. I'm trying to savor every minute because there's no way well ever get a team like this again. I can't believe this one actually exists in nature. And I don't mean it like "OMG they're going to be undefeated," I think they'll do really well, they're very talented....But that's just gravy for what makes me love them so much. From coaches to kids they're all just very special people, with the biggest heart I've ever seen.

Lol I think my son is progressing slower than anyone in the world .. Heck he can't even land a cartwheel

Back