All-Star Slowing Progression?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Last night she threw it in a full out (surprised me I just sort of expect to see a layout these days) and hit it big! Her flyer wasn't there so when she turned around and stepped to her group (she lands it with her back to the judges) the look on her face was absolute, clear ecstatic joy. I thought her face would break. They mocked their stunt with her group all laughing and congratulating each other :D

I might see that on the floor a LOT earlier than NCA. I'm sortof thinking my demonhunter will throw it at our first competition next month. She's got some time to get comfortable. Well see!

Back to your regularly scheduled...non brag thread....post.

Sorry 'bout that.
Yayyyyyyy

*Negative ratings aren't bad, just means you can wear your hater shades mores often*

Saw this on Chalk Bucket and found it interesting.
Unqualified Coaches? | ChalkBucket
Can any of our gymnastics friends elaborate? This type of thing is bad enough in cheer, but hearing about it in gymnastics scares me. Especially when you consider the fact that they use apparatuses.

I know we all want to see skill progression in the athletes but as parents, and athletes, at what point do we look at our athlete throwing a jank a$$ skill and say STOP you are going to kill yourself because it is obvious they need a stronger foundation to build upon?

I'm talking of the kids throwing back head springs because the elbows are so bent there is no support, ROBHS to a full where the feet on the 2nd BHS are landing apart and one or both feet land on the quarter turn so they can attempt to spin a full, back tucks where knees are barely clearing the floor.

You get the idea. Coaches, I know you all will have a different perspective but have you ever had a parent come to you scared for their child's safety and if so did you listen to them or just blow them off?
In my experience it's the parents encouraging the jank skills, although I have seen some coaches refuse to give corrections or use proper progressions. Either the parents aren't educated enough to know it's jank or are so proud of Suzie for her new 'skill'.

In my experience it's the parents encouraging the jank skills, although I have seen some coaches refuse to give corrections or use proper progressions. Either the parents aren't educated enough to know it's jank or are so proud of Suzie for her new 'skill'.
I will agree parents can be responsible for pushing jank skills so they can say Susie has it but the coaches are still liable for allowing that athlete to develop bad habits.
What will happen when that athlete cannot correct those jank tumbling skills? I can see it now that the kid is thought to be uncoachable and left to the wayside because they cannot contribute to the team any longer.

**Wingardium Leviosa...Susies tryout mantra**

I agree the coach should stop it. However, I've also seen serious push back when another coach approaches another coach about technique (specifically lack of). I mean he's a big tall coach who can chuck everyone. Who cares if they're throwing their head and not setting or bhs are froglegged headsprings. And letting other moms coach and spot outside the gym makes it legit, right?

I wholeheartedly agree with you but until technique matters more than difficulty it won't change.

I will agree parents can be responsible for pushing jank skills so they can say Susie has it but the coaches are still liable for allowing that athlete to develop bad habits.
What will happen when that athlete cannot correct those jank tumbling skills? I can see it now that the kid is thought to be uncoachable and left to the wayside because they cannot contribute to the team any longer.

Coming from someone who has a jank back handspring...
I can't work on anything higher than level 3. I have standing three back handsprings, but they are super slow and painful. I can't do round off handspring tucks, just round off tucks. My back handsprings got worse when I broke my hand, but it still slows my tumbling down if I do ANYTHING with a back handspring.
NEVER RUSH SKILLS JUST TO GET THEM. YOULL RUIN YOUR LIFE. well not really but you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say I really appreciate my daughters coach. She is little, 5, and has a back handspring but in privates he works with her still on her bwo's first each lesson to make she she has beautiful straight legs then he works on the BHS and getting her arms straighter and then running ro bhs's. So reading all this hopefully she will have a good foundation.

I wouldn't say the coaches are liable. Some kids will go to open gyms and work skills they aren't ready for (that we've told them they aren't ready for) and develop their bad habits there. And Susie's mom doesn't care because Susie has her backhandspring now. I recently had to tell a parent her daughter isn't allowed to work tucks or multiple backhandsprings until we fix her backhandspring that she learned at a gymnastics facility close to their home. It is more of a back limber and she turns her hands all the way out when she does it. I've honestly never seen anything like it but I know it's going to take quite some time to fix.

I have one cp that can take a correction and immediately fix the issue. I have another cp, however, that it can take months to correct an issue and frustration and boredom take over. The one that doesn't correct well has an auditory processing issue. Auditory processing meaning that someone is giving verbal instructions but, only part of those instructions are being processed in the brain. Auditory processing is worse in loud environments, it is very common and it is very important in things such as classroom learning, and in the gym with stunting and tumbling. My oldest issue is not too severe and she has developed coping skills. These kids often are the ones that learn by doing but, unfortunately in tumbling, muscle memory often takes hold first which makes it even harder to correct the issues. My oldest spent a year and a half working on correcting her set for a running tuck but, couldn't stop throwing herself back. I often wonder how many of these kids with poor technique have processing issues.
Auditory Processing Disorder

I wouldn't say the coaches are liable. Some kids will go to open gyms and work skills they aren't ready for (that we've told them they aren't ready for) and develop their bad habits there. And Susie's mom doesn't care because Susie has her backhandspring now. I recently had to tell a parent her daughter isn't allowed to work tucks or multiple backhandsprings until we fix her backhandspring that she learned at a gymnastics facility close to their home. It is more of a back limber and she turns her hands all the way out when she does it. I've honestly never seen anything like it but I know it's going to take quite some time to fix.

Was not fair for me to include all coaches in that but I know there are quite few coaches with the 'f#%£ it just chuck it' attitude and don't care how some skills are learned as long as the kid throws it. What those kids block because they can no longer progress due to bad technique I feel they have some fault for allowing it.

**Lets see if loyalty is a 2 way street. Stop paying for your gyms services and see if they are loyal to you**

Back