Smallest Flyers = Biggest Bases?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 2, 2011
Does this really happen often? My daughter has flown with two different programs and it seems that her bases are always smaller than the smaller flyers. Why...I would think that the smallest bases would put up the smallest flyers???

It may just be the way they work together. My daughter is the smallest flyer and has the biggest bases on her team. The smaller group bases actually have someone who is close in size to them so you think it would be harder but they do great basing the girl they do. So I don't have the answer your looking for besides it does happen else where. My daughters older bigger bases love her to death and when my daughter stunts with them I don't cringe and it goes smoothly but when they swap her around it's just so bad and I'm a nervous wreck! Haha

Also something else I observed, my cp is on a youth 2 team and they worked barrel rolls. That's the only thing twisting they have even tried. Anyways my cp isn't that good at getting all the way around. When she does it with her bases she does but when she does it with others she makes it like half way. Now Im not saying it's those other bases because there flyer can do it with them. However, I do think that with the bigger bases she might get a little more height enough to get around. The other flyer can do it with the smaller bases because she is probably more skilled and can rotate faster so don't need as much height!

My cp is 6 and is inexperienced in flying as this is her first season doing so to where everyone else who flys and bases on the team are 2 and more years older then her. So at first to give her the security she needed it worked out that way and have been doing great ever since!

Sometimes the most expeirenced flyer gets the weakest bases beczuse she can hold her weight, and the new flyer needs the bigger bases. It all depends on the situation.

its because sometimes the littlest flyer on the team isn't the best flyer on the team so they have to put bigger bases under her:)

It's all about the skill of the bases/flyer. Bigger flyers tend to be more muscular, so they tend to have better body control. Since they tend to have better body control, they usually don't need the beast bases that can make anything stay in the air. Smaller flyers (at least the ones I have experience with) generally have less body awareness and control and are often loose and unbalanced in the air, so they require bases that can keep her completely stable.

I agree, it is all about the skill set of the base and flyer. After the coach makes an assessment of everyone's skills, the flyer, small or large, will have the appropriate bases to spot him/her.

I will agree with everyone previously. As a general rule our coaches try to put the smaller bases with the smaller flyers so it's not so "easy" looking. but what it will eventually come down to is getting the group that works the best together.

sometimes it's the people that are able to control the flyer in the air..not the smallest or strongest bases

Back