Standing Back Handspring Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2013
I need to have my standing BHS to make varsity for high school cheer, I have a little over three weeks. I have it, my landing just isnt very good. :( My elbows bend, and my head touches the floor. But I land on my feet and end up not being able to pull my chest up fast. My instructor suggest pushing off the shoulders more, and jumping a little higher. How do I do that? Anymore advice?? :help:

Get a lot higher. What your coach is saying is right. Some drills that can help you with blocking are handstand pops (hard to explain look it up) and handstand snapdowns. As for height, do it on cheese mats. Your prime issue is height. You need to practice the skill a lot, maybe take a private lesson. I take privates and I've made a ton of progress from it.

Yes handstand snap downs help out a lot! They help you get your chest up a lot of your chest is really low. And what you instructor said about pushing through your shoulders more is very true because if you do that it will help your arms stay locked when you go over! If you spring out your toes instead of being flat footed on the ground when you go over it will help with your jump and sitting back in your back handspring.. It's really hard to explain how to do it! I am a more visual person to work on skills!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree with the people above about working on your snap-down to help with pulling your chest up. Having a good snap-down is largely dependent on your core (abs) and leg strength. Try some conditioning to help with building up strength - I'd recommend '300 Abs' for your core and Whitney Loves 'tuck' conditioning for your legs (you can google both).

Your coach is also right about pushing off your shoulders more. What they mean is that when you hit the handstand position in your backhandspring, you need to 'pop' with your shoulders, as if you are shrugging. This'll help with snapping down fast from the handstand position to a dish position/standing up.

With your elbows bending and your head touching the floor, this sounds to me like you are not 'locking out' your arms enough. Locking out is when you squeeze all of your muscles so that they are very taut. Try standing with your arms above your head with your palms spread out, and squeeze them. Get someone to push down on your palms - if your arms don't bend, they're locked. That's what you need to try and do in your back handspring.

Learn how to control adrenaline)))
Pretend that you are casting for a music video for your favorite boy band)))
They love everything about you, all you need to do now is nail your backhandspring)))

cheerbalance.com

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I also have a little problem with my BHS but I didn't want to open a new thread so I hope someone here can help me :)
Everything seems to be pretty good but I have one problem I just can't solve: I always bend my legs. It's not that I can't throw my bhs...it just doesn't look very good.
I really try to not bend my legs but it just doesn't work. Sometimes it looks really awful and sometimes I barely bend them but they're never completely straight. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Back