All-Star Starting A Squad!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2011
After my next competition I'm leaving the squad I'm currently with due to various reasons, and setting up my own squad- Atomic Allstars, at a gym in my town in the UK. It's all quite daunting and a little scary as Im only 17 and its a lot of responsibility, but very exciting at the same time! Does anyone have any advice or tips they think might be useful to me? I'd love to here some :)

make sure you get to know the companies FC, BCA, Jamfest, UKCA, ICC who ever it is you want to compete with eventually - they are normally more than happy to help with camps, they run coaches courses etc
even use the UK forum as a source of help and we may be in glasgow but i work for ACDC and we are always helping new teams starting out with either advice, ordering kit, sourcing music, even just helping with grips for stunts etc call us anytime or message me any time i will help any way i can!

ohhhh and obv make sure you have all your bases covered :

qualifications, insurance, correct staffing ratios, first aid, a set of rules etc etc

start as you mean to go on

We added cheer to my gym last September - well we inherited a squad whose head coach was emigrating. By far the worst thing we experienced was the parents; I've had nothing but grief and headaches since we started. Make sure you have a strong rules/constitution document and stand by it. Once I had got rid of all the nasty parents things have been so much nicer in training, I am actually enjoying it. ;) Go to local printers for tshirts and use regular shorts to cut down on cost. Ebay is invaluable for second hand shoes, I'm constantly scouring it and have so far kitted out half my squad with second hand shoes. We had a lot to pay out on uniform and comp fees all in one go and I didn't want even more expense for the parents.

Good luck!

Be brave. You're doing something very few people do, and less do at your age. Don't be afraid to ask for help, guidance, or even just a hug when the going gets tough.
You will need it. I'm practically double your age and teach high school and I still need that from time to time ;)

Believe in yourself. I know you can make it happen. You are fantastic with what you have already taught me now and you know SO much about cheer and rules etc.
Also don't think it has been mentioned, but maybe see if you could get a sponser to help with a) promoting your new venture and b) helping to offset some cost, be it more training for yourself or costs for your new cheerleaders :)

Ps you better get First Aid trained - those monkey plasters just don't cut it :p xx

Back