Starting To Cheer At Age 21

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yessiree!

I'm going to look in to joining an open team with a local all star gym in my area. I've only ever cheered in middle school for about a year, and I was a back spot and base at the time. Now that I'm all old and grey, I figured it would be nice to try cheering again. I can't tumble, haven't done any stunts in ages, and have mediocre jumps at best. Ill be going to next Thursday to sit in/ participate in a practice, so I was wondering what I should expect! It's a level 4.2 team ( the gym owner assured me there was no tumbleing requirement ) and I'm really nervose about going because I'll be joining late and will probably stick out like a sore thumb :(

I was also wondering what you would recommend as far as training/ practicing outside of team practices. (drills, workouts, ect). I haven't really been physically active in ages and I really want to get back up and feeling better, plus I don't know vary many people in my area so I figured I could make a few friends too.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Any advice?

I'm 30 and Thinking about going back (after I get back in shape of course) and seriously cannot wait to get back on the mat as a cheerleader in stead of a coach!! GOOD LUCK!

BowCat It was your amazing encouragement that helped us hit those stunts! Team Pink loves you and will always bake you cupcakes and make you bows! :D
photo.php

I'm SO glad I found this thread! I am 19 and want to do an open 4 team but with little experience I wasn't sure if it'd work out. I wish I had a gym near me with a O4 but the closest one I know of is Top Gun in Miami. I hope I am able to find one and join!

KEEP LOOKING! I've only been doing this for 3 weeks and I can tell you that it's worth the search effort to find a team :)

I just got back from practice and I'm pretty much smitten as a kitten =) All the girls are really nice/ tolerant of my newness and are never annoyed/ irritated about helping me to understand things or slowing things down. I feel like I'm getting better each practice ( whether I really am or not is up for debate =P). I'm considering singing up for tumbling lessons as well and I've started running again ( I usually did about 5 km, but lately I've gotten back up to the 12-15km mark! Gotta love the motivation!) but tumbling might have to wait until I figure out my school schedule for college.

Back