High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it's great people have the opportunity to do both!!
As I mentioned, it is definitely good for those who have competitive school teams. The problems we have seen are that kids are exhausted from double practices (school then all star), 6-7 weeks straight of weekend school competitions (which means athletes basically can attend all-star or school competitions in December and January, not both, and are at the mercy of their gym scheduling them), UCA in February and now States in March. Plus I'm now seeing many parents with an attitude of "whatever" for the rest of the all-star season since their kids just came back from Disney and it is fine by them if they do not need to make another trip.

As I mentioned, it is definitely good for those who have competitive school teams. The problems we have seen are that kids are exhausted from double practices (school then all star), 6-7 weeks straight of weekend school competitions (which means athletes basically can attend all-star or school competitions in December and January, not both, and are at the mercy of their gym scheduling them), UCA in February and now States in March. Plus I'm now seeing many parents with an attitude of "whatever" for the rest of the all-star season since their kids just came back from Disney and it is fine by them if they do not need to make another trip.
That sucks. They need to try to pull through.

Would it be easier to make a rule that school team kids can't do allstars?

I am not a fan of these types of rules.

*It hurts kids who genuinely want to do both.

*Doing both creates well-rounded cheerleaders with game day skills for college and such.

*It hurts gyms AND schools because kids will need to choose.

*I think schools lose more in those situations because the talent tends to stay with all stars.

*Doing both creates well-rounded cheerleaders with game day skills for college and such.

*I think schools lose more in those situations because the talent tends to stay with all stars.
Thank you for your insight. I just said that because I thought not having enough time for both practices and comps was becoming a problem with the lengthening of the school season.

I honestly think they should have states the weekend before UCA so the season ends after nationals. Would be so much easier than dragging the arson it another 2 weeks

Is this every gym in your area or just yours? Since your kid doesn't do school cheer, could y'all move to a gym that doesn't cater so heavily to the school schedule? I can understand the frustration, but if there are other gyms that don't cater to school squads so much, it may be a better fit.

Around here we don't have those rules, but very few do both just bc the school squads are a full time commitment. We live in UCA country, the all star teams here suffer bc many kids prefer school cheer.

Is this every gym in your area or just yours? Since your kid doesn't do school cheer, could y'all move to a gym that doesn't cater so heavily to the school schedule? I can understand the frustration, but if there are other gyms that don't cater to school squads so much, it may be a better fit.
Cp actually does school cheer; her team is just not that good and they do not even try to attend UCA (which is fine with us), so she does it for the social aspect. I wish changing gyms was that simple. All the gyms in our area have their own issues - if it is not school cheer, then it is something else. This is cp's 11th season in AS and my 12th as an AS mom (and we did town league before that) and we have already made the rounds. I feel the same sense of frustration around this time every year, especially leading up to UCA weekend. It will pass in a week or two.

During the Fall season, yes. It's great to be able to experience all star and high school cheer, but for me it is an absolute no during the all star competition season. There is too much conflict, too much risk of injury, etc. It's not fair to either team.

I've never understood why people feel there has to be conflict. We only have one all-star gym in our area, and three of my current high school cheerleaders participate in all stars. I have an understanding with the all-star gym owner and the rule on both teams is that if there is a conflict, WE get to decide the priorities. We communicate regularly, and if it's my last practice leading up to Region, State, or UCA, then I get the girls. If it's their last practice leading up to a competition, they get the girls. In both cases, we generally work out some sort of compromise where we only lose the kids for 15-20 minutes a piece.

As far as injury...

We both place a high priority on safety in our programs, and perfection before progression. I've had more kids injured in high school gym class, than I have all star cheer.

I've never understood why people feel there has to be conflict. We only have one all-star gym in our area, and three of my current high school cheerleaders participate in all stars. I have an understanding with the all-star gym owner and the rule on both teams is that if there is a conflict, WE get to decide the priorities. We communicate regularly, and if it's my last practice leading up to Region, State, or UCA, then I get the girls. If it's their last practice leading up to a competition, they get the girls. In both cases, we generally work out some sort of compromise where we only lose the kids for 15-20 minutes a piece.

As far as injury...

We both place a high priority on safety in our programs, and perfection before progression. I've had more kids injured in high school gym class, than I have all star cheer.
Around here the conflict isn't as much HS competitions as basketball games. They are played 7 days a week at all hours. There is NO way to plan around it. Either the girls miss half the games or half the practices which is unfair to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here the conflict isn't as much HS competitions as basketball games. They are played 7 days a week at all hours. There is NO way to plan around it. Either the girls miss half the games or half the practices which is unfair to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's interesting. We have a pretty set pattern in Kentucky. You can count on Wednesdays and Sundays being free from games. Admittedly, this may not be true statewide, but it's been the case in this region and the region from where I grew up. Sometimes if inclement weather or a tournament schedule dictates, there will be a game on those nights, but it is extremely rare. In either case, I still wouldn't have a problem with one of my kids missing a single game for their all star practice.

Wow, that's interesting. We have a pretty set pattern in Kentucky. You can count on Wednesdays and Sundays being free from games. Admittedly, this may not be true statewide, but it's been the case in this region and the region from where I grew up. Sometimes if inclement weather or a tournament schedule dictates, there will be a game on those nights, but it is extremely rare. In either case, I still wouldn't have a problem with one of my kids missing a single game for their all star practice.
Tennessee is the same. We never have Wednesday or Sunday games. Lawd almighty, that would not go over well at all!

Back