Strength Or Scrawn To Fly?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 22, 2013
I know that when you fly it is very important to stay tight and hold up your weight. Since being tight requires squeezing your muscles and it is easier to fly someone who is tight, do muscles make you lighter? Of course weighing yourself you would see you are heavier with muscle rather than if you were smaller. But if one flyer was toned and had muscle and another was tiny, would they be able to weigh the same if the one with muscle stayed tight?

I hope that's understandable. Thanks!

I know that when you fly it is very important to stay tight and hold up your weight. Since being tight requires squeezing your muscles and it is easier to fly someone who is tight, do muscles make you lighter? Of course weighing yourself you would see you are heavier with muscle rather than if you were smaller. But if one flyer was toned and had muscle and another was tiny, would they be able to weigh the same if the one with muscle stayed tight?

I hope that's understandable. Thanks!
In past experience, I would prefer the heavier but stronger one. They give the bases/backspot an easier time. A loose but light flier is harder to stunt in my opinion because they can't stay tight and you have to move around to keep her from falling. :)

In past experience, I would prefer the heavier but stronger one. They give the bases/backspot an easier time. A loose but light flier is harder to stunt in my opinion because they can't stay tight and you have to move around to keep her from falling. :)

I agree. Flyers need muscle tone to better be able to pull up and stay tight. I'd take a heavier flyer with muscle tone over a skinny flyer that's loose any day!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have based itty bitty little kids (as a coach) and some of them are heavier to put up than stronger but "heavier" kids. I'd put them up anyway. I also prefer stronger tops as they're better at holding the tiny tops in 2 1/2 high pyramids. Your mids have to be beasts too

I know that for me, I would want to stunt with someone that is toned vs. someone that is tiny. Your toned top person is going to know how to control their body. As for someone that is tiny, they will not know how to control their body.

Joseph Moore
Cheer coach/future personal trainer

Back