Stretching For The Un-stretchable

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 21, 2010
Hi! I've been a base for about eight years now, but I am interested in flying in college. That's in about 2 years so I think now is the time to start stretching. Problem is...it doesn't work!

My jumps are slightly hyperextended and I can do decent heel stretches, but anything requiring backwards flexibility is a bust. I know my back and shoulders are not flexible and I have been given things to stretch those out and it's been working, but the main problem is my legs.

I can sit in a perfect right and left leg split and kiss my knee and everything, but when I try to lean back, it doesn't go! Like, I can barely sit with my torso perpendicular to the ground. I said, ok, just keep practicing, but it doesn't work. It doesn't even hurt and I can't get it to feel a stretch. It's stuck! I've tried the Gabi Butler stuff with the doorframe but I can't pull my chest up enough to keep balanced.

I used to have Dorito scorpion but I'm not even close anymore. My scale looks like a droopy number four. Do any of you have any stretching tips for level zero flexibility?

Just some ideas: if you can sign up for hot yoga/ pilates classes or get yoga/pilates dvd's. Stretch every morning & night. Google Debbie Loves for The Love of Tumbling site. It has a flexibility section. Also, lots of backbends, working on getting your feet and hands closer together.

Kris I would totally do the classes but I have no extra time on my hands! Perhaps this summer. I forgot Debbie had a stretching section so I'll check it out. I'm not flexible enough in my shoulders to do a backbend...maybe that's an issue too hehe! :p

cheerheart4life That's good news! Most of the colleges I'm looking at are UCA, but just in case it's not I should still probably get a scorpion. Maybe I'll fly on an international team, who knows!

Latest posts

Back