All-Star Stunting- Just Not That Important?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Something I've been wondering about is..
Personally I've noticed gyms have been putting more attention into perfecting tumbling that's level appropriate. I've actually noticed this means more girls aging out on level 1/2, and even 3. With open 4 becoming a growing division, do you think you would see open level 2 or 3 eventually? Or would gyms defer to level 4.2?

I complained way less about tumbling at NCA than I typically do.

I noticed that a few teams typically known for tumbling technique getting a tad sloppy.

However, I noticed some serious improvement in execution across the board.

I am that person who is actually watching kids in running tumbling and noticing little things.

There were several teams that had 90% of the passes in running tumbling landed with STUCK/STAND perfection/chests up with not-totally copter/crossed feet.

Shout out to Diamonds, Obsession, Senior Elite, Gens, Cheetahs, CJA, Cheers and More and many others.

Something I've been wondering about is..
Personally I've noticed gyms have been putting more attention into perfecting tumbling that's level appropriate. I've actually noticed this means more girls aging out on level 1/2, and even 3. With open 4 becoming a growing division, do you think you would see open level 2 or 3 eventually? Or would gyms defer to level 4.2?

In eastern Canada (NB, PEI, NS for sure) we don't even have any IO 4's! Everyone over here is either IO 4.2 or Open 6. That being said, the Open 6's definitely do not have full team level 5/6 tumbling

I think that part of the stunting issue is that it's looked on as "easy" to teach stunt skills, and as a result not enough emphasis gets placed on stunt technique, particularly for bases. I watch it play out over and over that bases never really get the instruction they need for solid technique and end up just doing the best they can. I think that stunt technique could be improved dramatically if every base was required to go through progressions with stunting the way we require them for tumbling. Perfect a prep before attempting an extension. Half up before full ups. I think stunting is usually where progression gets rushed and technique suffers.

CP is still Level 1 so I'm kind of terrified to see her get to a level where they actually do tosses. I'm sure it's taught but those scare me the most because you really have to trust your bases. I don't think I could be the parent of a flyer who does that. At flyer clinics, we see them teaching the flyer how to do them, but that's usually with the older kids who have been doing it forever.
The fact that they do the really high basket tosses towards the back of the mat always freaks me out..

Also annoying, stunts that hit body positions for < 1 second, then popping down. So if they happen to come down early it's not apparent.
THIS. It's more and more prevalent due to tighter packed routines are harder stunts across the board. But it still irks me.

To get into high range and try to max out..
One interesting thing I noticed going through some of the NCA score breakdowns is that there are a good number of teams placing in the bottom half of their division with 4.8-4.9 stunt difficulty, yet 4.0-4.1 in execution (or even lower) getting beat by teams with 4.5-4.6 in difficulty and 4.7-4.8 in execution. I saw similar trends in tumbling. I wish more teams would realize that execution is just as, if not more important than maxing out difficulty.

Back