All-Star Summit 2022

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Sorry, it’s a little late! Share anything and everything Summit 2022!

The number of divisions is out of control. Why is there "International Open" in Level 4 and in Level 4 only? This is in addition to Open 4, U17 Level 4, U19 Level 4... There are hardly any actual international teams, so why is "International Open 4" needed, why can't they just enter one of the other divisions? If the reasoning is because they are behind on tumbling, they are placing at the bottom of the division regardless, so why not just merge International Open 4 with Open 4 and encourage them to tumble. Maybe more countries would develop an interest in cheer if it wasn't so confusing. Whatever, I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
The number of divisions is out of control. Why is there "International Open" in Level 4 and in Level 4 only? This is in addition to Open 4, U17 Level 4, U19 Level 4... There are hardly any actual international teams, so why is "International Open 4" needed, why can't they just enter one of the other divisions? If the reasoning is because they are behind on tumbling, they are placing at the bottom of the division regardless, so why not just merge International Open 4 with Open 4 and encourage them to tumble. Maybe more countries would develop an interest in cheer if it wasn't so confusing. Whatever, I'm preaching to the choir.
This was the first year they offered SO4 at Summit. Previously it was only IO4. In my opinion, most US teams don't want to compete on the International scoresheet--literally one time a year at Summit. It also wasn't a division where you could earn a paid bid or even a wildcard bid. USASF Open 4 divisions can earn Wildcards, at larges, partials or paids. Just two of the reasons I personally would choose SO4 over IO4.

This was the first year they offered SO4 at Summit. Previously it was only IO4. In my opinion, most US teams don't want to compete on the International scoresheet--literally one time a year at Summit. It also wasn't a division where you could earn a paid bid or even a wildcard bid. USASF Open 4 divisions can earn Wildcards, at larges, partials or paids. Just two of the reasons I personally would choose SO4 over IO4.

That makes total sense. I’d do away with Intl Open and make any international teams compete in regular Sr Open 4. If they’re not really competitive under either scoresheet, then it wouldn’t make much of a difference. The Summit is a US based event, so it makes sense to use the US scoresheet. At some point everyone should try to get on the same page with a scoresheet. If you keep providing foreign teams with a scoresheet with less emphasis on tumbling, there’s less incentive to adapt to US tumbling standards. I watched the winner of U17 Level 3 who is from Japan out of curiosity and they were just as advanced as any US team, no reason why they couldn’t do well under the US scoresheet.

If there are hardly any teams in Intl Open at Summit, imagine what it must be like competing in this division throughout the season, I’m sure it’s a lot of competing against yourself.

Countries look at safety and training resources first when looking at a sport. Gym owners look at the score sheet for fairness because that's important to the consumer. A governing body recognizes having ample training resources is an imperative first step towards fairness. More long term athletes, more future training resources. More divisions, more opportunity for long term athletes, and faster resource growth.

Cheer is still lacking in coaching resources in many areas of the US, and definitely Internationally. Kudos to a governing body that recognizes you don't have to be an expert in everything to be a great coach in something, and provides avenues.

Okay, what are the U divisions again? Like U17 and U19? They've been around for a minute, I just forget what differentiates them from other divisions.

Okay, what are the U divisions again? Like U17 and U19? They've been around for a minute, I just forget what differentiates them from other divisions.

As I understand it:

So teams international teams used to compete in IJ4, IJ2, etc. (stands for International Junior Whatever Level.)

A few years ago, IASF/USASF went to U17 or U19 because that is what international cheer comps use. That replaced the I-labeled divisions.

Example: So U17 level 4 replaces IJ4.

Those are the divisions in which international teams can compete at Summit.

They also use a different age grid I think.

Back