All-Star Summit Bid Reveal Discrepancy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

THIS is what has frustrated me all year long. We have scored well, most competitions we have been less than 0.5 away from a summit bid. Last weekend, a 4.2 team with a 84 score got a bid simply because of the bid declarations - It wasn't our greatest weekend but we did still score in the 93s, so its frustrating to see a team 10 points below going to summit!
Was it for an at large? So the 84 was the highest score out of 4.2, 5, 5R teams?

In previous years Varsity had a list of bid winners by division on their website. This year, the list looks like it is in alphabetical order by gym which is totally useless, lol. Am I just being a moron and missing it? Help a struggling cheermom out here! :)
Check out the ultimate climb.com. They have the list by division

In previous years Varsity had a list of bid winners by division on their website. This year, the list looks like it is in alphabetical order by gym which is totally useless, lol. Am I just being a moron and missing it? Help a struggling cheermom out here! :)
There is a list by division and by event in the Wiki on here.
If a team has an international bid can they still take an AL bid
A team can have a bid in an international division as well as an at-large (or paid, or wildcard) bid in a non-international division. They are seen as 2 completely separate teams when it comes to the Summit and regular crossover rules apply. So if they are the exact same roster, then those are the only 2 teams all of those athletes can be on.

Was it for an at large? So the 84 was the highest score out of 4.2, 5, 5R teams?

Well, yes. The 84 was the lowest in their division - of 3, but there were no 5 or r5 at the competition. The two teams who finished ahead of them already had at large bids. Just seems like a bad system in that instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A team in my area got 2 WC bids, and I haven't heard if someone else ended up getting that bid or not. I get that mistakes happen, but you'd think they'd just have a mega list and go off of that.

Can a team flip from D1 to D2 thru out the year? Like 1 week be D1 next week be D2?
Yes. There are also competitions where they will not be split due to numbers of teams. So even if you declare that you want to compete D2, you may still compete against D1 teams.

Now obviously you would have to qualify for D2 to switch back and forth. D1 gyms can't just decide to compete D2.

Yes. There are also competitions where they will not be split due to numbers of teams. So even if you declare that you want to compete D2, you may still compete against D1 teams.

Now obviously you would have to qualify for D2 to switch back and forth. D1 gyms can't just decide to compete D2.
So if you go against a D2 team how would it work for bid purpose. Also can half a team go D1 and other half go D2 for same comp.

So if you go against a D2 team how would it work for bid purpose. Also can half a team go D1 and other half go D2 for same comp.
You have to have competed (or declared) D2 at a comp to get a bid for D2 Summit. Same for D1. If you declare D2 and the division is combined with D1 due to numbers, then your score will just be compared to other D2 teams for bids. So if you go against D1 teams, but have the highest score in your level or age of all D2 teams (depending on the bid type that comp gives out), you will get the bid. If you decide that you want to compete D1, you can get a bid to D1 Summit, but you can't get a bid to D2 Summit.

And I'm assuming you meant gym, not team. Yes, a gym can have some teams compete D1 and some compete D2 at the same comp.

Agreed. While there are certainly improvements that can be made, I definitely think the bid distribution process this season is better and more fair than it has been any other year.
We'll see if it actually happens, but next season I plan on tracking how many total teams there are that compete at bid comps to help determine percentages for each division. I think the percentages will be a lot closer than some people think.

I would love get from Varsity the scores for each team that wins a bid, It would make for some interesting analytics as to how the average bid winning score moves and changes through a season and by level. Maybe it is something we can talk to Justin Carrier about and see if they would provide it as long as we didn't make the individual scores public.

Two seasons ago, my junior level 1 team was third in line for a D1 Summit bid (out of five bids) and first in line for the level 1 bid. We placed second in our division, but the team ahead of us would not accept any Summit bids according to their bid declaration. Unfortunately, this team was awarded the bid during the award ceremony, much to our (and their) confusion. Immediately following the award ceremony, we went to the check-in desk and asked what the deal was and it turns out they messed up our bid declaration and tried to tell me that we stated we would be declining all bids. They looked at the declaration, realized their mistake, and awarded us the bid. It really sucked to have that moment taken from our athletes, as they never got that incredible, over the top moment other teams got to experience.

The same thing happened the following season when my junior level 1 team won first was was second in line for level 1 grand champs. The grand champion team was a mini level 1 team and not eligible for a bid. They left our team off the the bid reveal video and our team AGAIN did not get to experience that moment. It was extremely disappointing as a coach to have that happen back-to-back years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back