All-Star Summit Bid Reveal Discrepancy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 1, 2017
I keep my own records who gets summit bids based off the summit bid reveals, and I was recently updating it based off the official list on varisty's website. When one of my teams got their summit bid, it wasn't announced on the summit bid reveal and they accidently announced the second place team. I was very frustrated and annoyed because I felt like we were being cheated out of some sort of recognition. Anyways, the company was really nice and we got our bid. But back to my question: how does this happen and why does it happen so much? I don't get it.

I keep my own records who gets summit bids based off the summit bid reveals, and I was recently updating it based off the official list on varisty's website. When one of my teams got their summit bid, it wasn't announced on the summit bid reveal and they accidently announced the second place team. I was very frustrated and annoyed because I felt like we were being cheated out of some sort of recognition. Anyways, the company was really nice and we got our bid. But back to my question: how does this happen and why does it happen so much? I don't get it.

It happened to us, we have two small senior 4s.
At one competition at the beginning of the season. They were both 1st and 2nd in their division. So they both beat all the other senior 4s.

Well we are having a bid reveal for the winning senior 4 because we knew they were the highest ... and what chaos happened was insane. They awarded the AL to our second place team, we immediately told the second place team it was a mistake and to not get excited until it got sorted out. However upon contacting the competition to figure out what happened so they they decided to award both senior 4s a bid. They both scored very high, and the second place senior 4 of ours was actually going to get a bid at another competition we went to later on so it’s not like they were undeserving or wouldn’t have got one later on. They just got it prematurely and basically allowed another team to get a bid since they had one. It was nice of the competition company to do that because it saved some hard feelings between the teams I’m sure. They are both so talented.

I think whoever was submitting the thing for summit probably just was like oh the level 4 bid goes to Stars senior 4.. the person probably didn’t realize there was 2 in the same division so probably just put the second place team name not seeing the other one. So the first place team never made it on the video screen but they were given one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve noticed several discrepancies. They have the wrong team listed in our division. They are coed, our division is not. I’ve seen other people post about the same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve noticed several discrepancies. They have the wrong team listed in our division. They are coed, our division is not. I’ve seen other people post about the same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly feel like no list out there is truly accurate and that we won't know who really has a bid and what division they are in until the performance order is released. I've tried going through the videos and the list on Varsity to try and keep the wiki list on here accurate, but I'm sure there are quite a few errors because of issues like ones mentioned here.

So far this season I have seen...
Teams with wildcard bids get awarded at large bids
Teams with paid bids get awarded at large bids
Teams who lost by 5 points get awarded bids (accidentally, but they were able to keep it)
Teams that have come in last at every competition get bids (because of the universal bid declaration)
Gyms sweep all the bids because they were the only D1 or D2 gym at the competition

So, I think there are definitely some issues...

All the bids are being distributed the same way based on the competition type this season, where as in the past it was up to each individual EP to decide who got the bids.

we were at a comp with only 2 4.2 teams and no restricted 5s. One of the 4.2 teams had a bid. So the other 4.2 got the bid by default, though their score was 4 points lower than level 2 and 3 teams that did not get bid. There has to be some qualifying parameters

we were at a comp with only 2 4.2 teams and no restricted 5s. One of the 4.2 teams had a bid. So the other 4.2 got the bid by default, though their score was 4 points lower than level 2 and 3 teams that did not get bid. There has to be some qualifying parameters

The qualifying parameter is that you don't already have a bid at that level(at large paid)/age group(wildcard). It is very clearly laid out in the bid declaration that if an eligible team exists at that level they get the bid. They had to eliminate EP discretion from the equation as there were too many accusations of favoritism and foul play.

I agree that the next step is to have a minimum qualifying score to be eligible for a bid, and then a way of more equally distributing bids across age group and levels based on some kind of formula of teams declared to that division. As an example not every youth 2 D2 team in the world needs a bid. It is over 10% of all D2 bids roughly 120 out of a little under 1000 bids for you math majors.

The truth though is it has come a long way in the last 2 years in terms of having a transparent process, and yes a few human error mistakes are going to be made and that is a shame for the girls and teams that get cheated out of that "moment".

I honestly feel like no list out there is truly accurate and that we won't know who really has a bid and what division they are in until the performance order is released. I've tried going through the videos and the list on Varsity to try and keep the wiki list on here accurate, but I'm sure there are quite a few errors because of issues like ones mentioned here.

Don't forget that the varsity list is just bids awarded, if they follow the same procedure as last year it will change soon to teams that actually "Registered" and accepted their bids. Last year quite a few did not, a casual estimate based on my memory is that is was around 5-7% in D1 and 10-12% in D2.

So far this season I have seen...
Teams with wildcard bids get awarded at large bids
Teams with paid bids get awarded at large bids
Teams who lost by 5 points get awarded bids (accidentally, but they were able to keep it)
Teams that have come in last at every competition get bids (because of the universal bid declaration)

Gyms sweep all the bids because they were the only D1 or D2 gym at the competition

So, I think there are definitely some issues...

THIS is what has frustrated me all year long. We have scored well, most competitions we have been less than 0.5 away from a summit bid. Last weekend, a 4.2 team with a 84 score got a bid simply because of the bid declarations - It wasn't our greatest weekend but we did still score in the 93s, so its frustrating to see a team 10 points below going to summit!

Don't forget that the varsity list is just bids awarded, if they follow the same procedure as last year it will change soon to teams that actually "Registered" and accepted their bids. Last year quite a few did not, a casual estimate based on my memory is that is was around 5-7% in D1 and 10-12% in D2.
Yes, I recall there being a fair few each of the past years. It's just that there are teams that are listed in the wrong divisions as well as teams that were announced in videos as being awarded a bid that are not on their list. That's more of what I was referring to as being "off".

In previous years Varsity had a list of bid winners by division on their website. This year, the list looks like it is in alphabetical order by gym which is totally useless, lol. Am I just being a moron and missing it? Help a struggling cheermom out here! :)

The qualifying parameter is that you don't already have a bid at that level(at large paid)/age group(wildcard). It is very clearly laid out in the bid declaration that if an eligible team exists at that level they get the bid. They had to eliminate EP discretion from the equation as there were too many accusations of favoritism and foul play.

I agree that the next step is to have a minimum qualifying score to be eligible for a bid, and then a way of more equally distributing bids across age group and levels based on some kind of formula of teams declared to that division. As an example not every youth 2 D2 team in the world needs a bid. It is over 10% of all D2 bids roughly 120 out of a little under 1000 bids for you math majors.

The truth though is it has come a long way in the last 2 years in terms of having a transparent process, and yes a few human error mistakes are going to be made and that is a shame for the girls and teams that get cheated out of that "moment".

i understand the bid declaration. But i strongly disagree that the only team without a bid at a certain level should get a summit bid by default, simply for showing up.

Agreed. While there are certainly improvements that can be made, I definitely think the bid distribution process this season is better and more fair than it has been any other year.
We'll see if it actually happens, but next season I plan on tracking how many total teams there are that compete at bid comps to help determine percentages for each division. I think the percentages will be a lot closer than some people think.

Back