Taking A Team To Worlds With An At-large Bid That Really Isn’t Ready For Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Level 5 athletes want to go to Worlds. I believe some gyms feel they need to offer going just to keep their families happy, ready or not.

Sometimes it is also a business decision as to keeping families happy. For example say you have 4 gyms that pull from the same school systems and community. 3 of those teams get a bid. What happens to gym 4? They are marketed against business wise as not being good enough to have a level 5 Worlds team. "Our team went to Worlds and yours didn't because you suck" type of stuff. This then becomes a pull to get some of those Level 5 athletes out of gym 4 and dispersed to gyms 1, 2 and 3. So from a business perspective only some gyms feel it is necessary, even if they know they are not going to place well. For them it is a much longer journey than the actual competition itself.

Another perspective which was brought out in another thread. That unknown team that you think has not right to be there this year, just may end up being a powerhouse team in the future that if you see them in your division, you want to shift divisions. There is a value and appreciation in building a program up from the proverbial unknown to lofty heights, instead of just expecting it should be that way the first day the gym doors open. So that team that just barely got a bid, don't be so quick to dismiss them. The first cheer gym I worked with all the local competitors said we "sucked" cause we did not have a level 5 team. We "sucked" when we finally put a level 5 team together because they were only Level 4 with a couple of fulls. We "sucked" when we won a competition that offered a paid bid to the winner of our division but did not get the bid because as we were told by the EP we were a Level 4 team that only won because the Level 5 teams dropped. We "sucked" because we would not close down and merge with the big name gyms in the area. "sucked" because we did not go to the big competitions. We "sucked" because we did not get a Worlds bid when we were not even trying for one. We "sucked" when we finally got one - again not looking for it - because we had only one double and the bid was an At Large. We "sucked" when we did not make it to day 2, but the kids came back from Worlds determined to make it to day 2 the next time. We "sucked" when we got our first Full paid bid because it was early in the season and "all the good teams" weren't ready yet so somehow we cheated. We "sucked" when we made it to day 2 because the judges felt sorry for us. Last year they tied for 7th at Worlds.

And no one is saying they "suck" anymore. Are they fan favorites? No. But that does not negate their accomplishments either.

I think this should be a team decision. While it is expensive, I think there is value taking a young team to experience what it is like to compete on the big stage and stay to watch so they can all see what they are striving to become!! And, I think most know what Worlds really starts on Sunday!!

Back