All-Star Taking Cps Out Of School Early For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlockHead

Cheer Parent
Sep 20, 2013
I know I have seen posts on here in the past, but I can't seem to find them.

What do you tell your CPs school when you pull them out of school early for travel for cheer competitions?

For local comps, I may sign CP out for an appointment and not elaborated. For UCA & Summit, I was upfront in order to get assignments.

From reading multiple threads on this every school district is different. It also depends on the age of the CP. my CP just started HS and we haven't had to deal with this yet, however in elementary and middle school I typically just told the truth. One time I said we took a family day, basically because we decided to go to the comp a day early to check into the hotel and have some time as a family before crazy comp time kicked in. Most people on here know my position on this, but I will throw it out just for fun...lol CP is my kid, therefore I will decide when she can miss school and for what reason. She gets good grades, is respectful to all and a leader in the school. If you think the number of days she is or is not at school changes that, then I will tell you that you are wrong.

From reading multiple threads on this every school district is different. It also depends on the age of the CP. my CP just started HS and we haven't had to deal with this yet, however in elementary and middle school I typically just told the truth. One time I said we took a family day, basically because we decided to go to the comp a day early to check into the hotel and have some time as a family before crazy comp time kicked in. Most people on here know my position on this, but I will throw it out just for fun...lol CP is my kid, therefore I will decide when she can miss school and for what reason. She gets good grades, is respectful to all and a leader in the school. If you think the number of days she is or is not at school changes that, then I will tell you that you are wrong.
My CP is the same way. Straight A's at an IB high school and luckily her teachers already know about UCA and possibly Summit and have no problem with it. As for local comps, we just say she has an appointment and she leaves. No questions asked by her school which is great and she misses anywhere from 6-10 days of school a year for cheer..... I find honesty is normally the best policy. However our first year at our current program her elementary school told me they refused to allow her to leave to go to UCA- I pulled the "I am her parent, you are not, and she WILL be gone these days" I did then proceed to tell them that I could have lied and said that she was sick but that I was telling them the truth and they were going to excuse her..... they very quickly saw my point of view lol

I just say she has an appointment and leave it at that. For Worlds last year I said she was participating in a competitive sporting event in Florida, but she had told all her teachers in advance she would not be there those days and they gave her the work to make up. This year she has honors math last period and I refuse to pull her out early (nor does she want to miss it) so we will be leaving for all driveable comps after rush hour and getting in late this season.

I know I have seen posts on here in the past, but I can't seem to find them.

What do you tell your CPs school when you pull them out of school early for travel for cheer competitions?

I schedule an appt in the morning so that it's an excused absent. We don't have any extended absents this year so we don't need to be upfront about it but CP's teacher knows she cheers and knows comp season is about to start for us.

CP was always honest with her teachers and got assignments/ took tests in advance. I would then call her in "sick" to admin as that was the only allowable excuse.

As an aside...in elementary school when I was pulling the kiddos out for an extra day at Disney, the Secretary said "oh, they've got the Anaheim flu" and we laughed and that stuck!

Ours are not excused unless they are sick. So, I make an appointment in the morning if possible (dentist, chiropractor, physical, etc.) so that I have a note to turn in when she comes back. I also call in sick on the longer comps. I still got a letter from my school last year because they were concerned about how often she is 'sick' and they wanted to know if I needed help getting her to a doctor...OMG!!!

It seems like a lot of PA School districts (specifically HS) are cracking down on "unexcused abscenses". My CP only has a certain number of days from school that she can miss before I have to meet the guidance counselor regarding the "excessive" missed days from school. Needless to say she is normally "sick" on the Friday before an away comp.. #sorrynotsorry

They are forsure not as strict on this in ontario (canada). my mom just had to call and tell them i was absent. In high school i often just told my teachers i was missing class, and they would give me work. And then id get an automated phone call to my parents saying was absent from school on days xyz.
Same in Quebec.

At CP's previous school, we were always up front with them. She wasn't even the only allstar cheerleader in her class last year (from a different program but traveled just as much). We never had any issues.
This year, in a new district and in middle school, I was up front with them about the dates she'd be missing (Atlanta and Dallas in Feb being the biggest issue), and they just wanted notification in writing so that we can get assignments in advance. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue at the new district. I've never really needed her to miss school for any local competitions because they're typically less than 2 hours away for us.

Unfortunately, I have to do this not just for school but for CP's varsity cheer coach. Although there are no rules saying CP can't participate in school cheer and allstar cheer, the coach thinks allstar cheer is a waste of time (which I find hilarious considering quite a few cheerleaders get skills/experience there). Anyway, if games/practices happen on the same nights as we need to be out of town, she's usually sick. Luckily, it looks like it will only happen once during basketball season. A few I have to drive late on Friday so she can attend the game, but I would rather do that than listen to threats about demerits.

CPs teachers have never had a problem-I just tell them we are going out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back