All-Star Talk To Me About Kick Up Scorpions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
Cp wants to be able to do this, but doesn't get how. Other than just practicing, are there any tricks/tips?

Lol idk if we're talking about the same thing, but jaylen has a decent scorpion on the ground that is so pretty and in the air it is, just normal! So if she could just kick it up like that instead of pulling it that way then we would be a lot better off.

CP can do it really well while other flyers are struggling... It may be a back flexibility thing. If you like I can ask her to do one and post it.

our flyers practice in the mirror to help them know where to catch their foot/ankle. we also sometimes use the stretching bands , like the ones you get from physio. wrap middle round your ankle and one end round each hand. pull foot up back to scorpion, drop, wrap once more round hands pull up scorpion, drop - repeat until you have worked all the way to your foot

Lol idk if we're talking about the same thing, but jaylen has a decent scorpion on the ground that is so pretty and in the air it is, just normal! So if she could just kick it up like that instead of pulling it that way then we would be a lot better off.

Lately she has been really obsessed with scorpions in general and trying to make hers straight-legged. i don't know if hers is different on the ground or in the air or not! she tends to have better body positions in the air than on the ground, though. I know if she grabs lower, she definitely can pull higher, so what you say may be true! LOL

CP can do it really well while other flyers are struggling... It may be a back flexibility thing. If you like I can ask her to do one and post it.

it is more than likely a flexibility thing....that's where she "suffers" for sure. If she has a "how-to" type of video, that'd be cool to see!

I think it is really easy if you have a really good scorpian. If your scorpian isn"t very strong, then its really hard to kick it up. I would just really work on making it really good, like a needle, cause if you can do a needle or a really good scorpian, then it is easier doing a kick up one.

It may be a shoulder flexibility thing as well.

Very true! From personal experience I would argue that it is 90% shoulder flexibility. Sure, your back needs to be flexible enough to pull a nice, non-Dorito chip scorpion to begin with. But if you can't throw your arms back and grab your foot you're not going to be able to hit it. Also, I agree that watching yourself in the mirror really helps!

Just a little update: CP had given up on the kick up (it was just "too hard") and decided to focus on the straight leg instead. But just for fun, she tried it today and just did it! and consistently. It's like she's never been unable to do it! she's pretty darn excited.

Like I tell my kids......."If it was easy, everybody would be able to do it. It's the hard that makes it great!!!" Good for her!!! Congratulations!!!

Like I tell my kids......."If it was easy, everybody would be able to do it. It's the hard that makes it great!!!" Good for her!!! Congratulations!!!

That's funny because that's exactly what I told her!!! Lol. Thanks :)

Back