Team Size Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2010
The only proposal I found was for getting rid of small and just have everyone at 36.
With all the talk of universal 24 and small 20 and large 30, I would think that an actual proposal had been made but I cannot find it on there. Am I just overlooking it?

My vote is for 20 and 30 if there is a proposal to vote on

I dont think Tegan (that is who runs the blog) has everything up to date on there. She has been busy (last I heard) and was going to catch up soon. Anyone who knows for sure, fill us in.

The only proposal I found was for getting rid of small and just have everyone at 36.
With all the talk of universal 24 and small 20 and large 30, I would think that an actual proposal had been made but I cannot find it on there. Am I just overlooking it?

My vote is for 20 and 30 if there is a proposal to vote on

I plan on sending in a proposal for 24, unless someone beats me to it. I still have over a month.

I plan on sending in a proposal for 24 people and .01. (that or $1.. yall might be over bidding)

24 will be bad for small gyms and big gyms.

Smaller gyms will have to decide whether to bump minis up to Jr teams or have two teams of 10 to 14 a piece and trying to compete with 24

With all of the smaller gyms that will end up combining small teams to make team of 24, there will actually be fewer teams.

I have a question in to Teagan about this and a few other items. There are many good suggestions brought up in the discussions at these meetings, but to be considered they should be presented in a rules change request form.

I'm not sure who is doing those or when they are going to be included. I'll let you know what I find out.

i think the board should be allowed to propose rule changes... like a gym :)

That's a scary suggestion, unless you added a "common sense" filter to the suggestion making process.
I will say that if anyone on the boards has an issue or proposal they want to be heard, they can contact me, ACEDAD, or anyone else on the Parent Action Committee and we can present it for them or ask the question and get an answer.

I have been told we may even get a vote at the final rules change meetings, but have not been able to confirm that yet.

Hahaha. Ever notice common sense is not that common?

I think of this board as a 'think tank' that does come up with some good suggestions. All I would like is is to get some of the most reasonable (and more popular ones) proposed to be voted on. We talk about so many issues on here that do have some reasonable solutions I wonder if they get any traction enough to vote on.

The things that come up here do get discussed.

ACEDAD attends the National Advisory Board meetings and we are trying to have a PAC member at each of the Regional meetings

I have spoken to a couple of USASF reps in the last few weeks about things in the rules change process and a few other things I have gotten either from conversations directly with people on the board or things we have discussed within the Parent Action Committee. I haven't considered submitting rules changes on behalf of non-gym owners (i.e. athletes and even maybe a spectator or two) but remember that the rules changes process should allow for gym owners to voice the opinions of their gyms and coaches. If anyone really wants to do this and thinks they have a valid rules change submission, let me know and I'll ask.

I didn't mean to make it sound like ACEDAD and myself are the only PAC reps on the boards, but I didn't have the list in front of me earlier. McLovin, CharlotteASMom, Level5Mom, Cheerfanatic, Bonnie, mousemom, cheermeup, and cheerfanatic are all members.

PM me anytime with questions you need answered, but I am sure any of the other members would be happy to help as well.

I talked to Justin Carrier last night and he's going to help get the number from NCA for sure, but hopefully many of the Varsity events.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Kevin Brubaker or Cheersport, Dan Kessler of JAMfest, and Lisa Saline of UPA & IEP. I copied Justin Carrier of Varsity All Star and NCA, but already talked to him. Hopefully some of them will share their data.

Good morning,
This is Andre Carter from Spirit Post. I'm writing hoping to get some more information about team sizes and division sizes so people will be informed as they talk about changing team sizes in hopes of increasing the average number of teams in a division. Would you guys be willing to provide the following information:

1. Average number of teams in a division across all (or as many as possible) of your competitions.
2. Average number of participants on large team across all (or as many as possible) of your competitions.
3. Average number of participants on small teams across all (or as many as possible) of your competitions.

Lisa - Would you be willing and able to help collect this information from the IEP members?

If you have any concerns about providing this information please let me know so we can attempt to address them.

Thank you,
Andre

hey thats my proposal :) I really would rather the division go to thirty, but someone else at the meeting wa putting a suggestion to go to thirty (don't know if it happened) and i was honestly thinking of all girl and not coed when I put it in. however, i would like there to be several options to choose from in atlanta, to weigh it out.

How about proposing a medium division? I know the last thing we want is to create more divisions out of this but if you had small up to 16, medium up to 28 and large up to 36, I think it would help both small and large gyms. Plus, when you go to a place like Cheersport, your divisions are getting split up into 2 or 3 smaller groups anyway. It'd kind of be the same thing.

For instance, I'm at a small gym where money is a big issue. I started my junior team with 32 this year, and now I'm at 22. I'm certainly not going to tell 2 girls who have been there all season and paying on time that they can't compete. So now, here I am with only 22 in large. This happens alot, not just at our gym. If there was a medium, it would allow for fair competition for this team. If we were a larger gym, it would still benefit us because we wouldn't trying to fill in those 18, 19, 20th or 34, 35, 36 spots with kids who aren't ready to be there. I'm sure a lot of gyms could field a competitive 24-28 member team.

Or, not sure how this would play out, but just to throw it out there- how about changing sizes according to level? The divisions that don't get alot of teams- senior 1 for example- wouldn't have any split. The divisions that are ok as is could stay, but the majorly populated divisions- Junior 2, Senior 3 for example- could create a medium division.

Back