All-Star Team Usa

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well were in the same boat on that one! That's my division too and obviously ill be a bit more focused on that then ICU at that moment.Ugh not wanting to compete that early on Saturday or whenever is the early day!
All i was really saying though is just because one person (or thousands) doesn't see it to be prestigious does not mean it does not mean everything and the world to some others. Some people value competitions and styles of routines differently.
You're right - I still think that if winning wasn't guaranteed to happen, it would be a bigger deal. Just like I applaud HPU for winning again, but didn't pay much attention to them since it was obvious it was going to happen. But you're right, and I didn't mean to imply that it's not a big deal to make the team and represent the country.

And yes, Saturday morning will not be fun. I think prelims were that early last year though, so if I did it then I guess I can do it again, ha. But it's so different when you're used to level 6 being at the end of the day!

I have a strong college background before all-star so I do understand the other side of it. Let me add I don't wish or think badly of the Team USA concept. But like baseball in the Olympics I am not sure it has a strong international hold yet.

Why do people like Large Senior so much? Because, honestly, either 3 of those big teams could win. Medium has not gotten near the discussion as Small or Large this year because there seems to be one team that controls their own destiny. People like it when there are obstacles and winning is hard. No matter how amazing Team USA is if they can have a bad day and still win people get bored. That does not mean they aren't talented. That does not mean they aren't amazing. It just means its not very entertaining.

If Team USA was created to help push cheer into the Olympics then why do they hold the competition every year? Shouldn't they do like the Olympics does and hold it every few years? I know that there are a few International teams that don't go every year because of the price, so if they made it every other year then maybe those teams would be able to compete every time because they would have longer to save up the money. It would also give teams that much longer to come up with some amazing routines. Reminds me of Bangkok and when they said it took them over a year to get their routine perfected in order to compete it at ICU/Worlds.
Isn't the other International competition (that the USASF banned people from) only held every few years?

Again all im saying is while it might not be prestigious to one person it does not mean its not to another. I just think that you need to be happy with what you feel is a accomplishment rather then what others think.
Sorry if this gets a little off topic btw

I completely agree that for people who are watching cheerleading and all the different divisions and all the different competitions, its exciting to see teams battle it out going to see who will win. I personally like to think its about the people who are on the mat or on the team or at the gym or program and how they feel.

I know i have been the happiest and proud of my wins and losses, when we do the best they we can do. I feel that it is one of the more important things, rather then what i take home, or what people thought about me and my team.

No I did not win worlds last year but I was so happy and so proud of me and my teammates, as well as the entire program i was with, because i know that we all worked very hard and put our best effort out and got what we got.

Ive also competed against nobody and still felt that same way because, because again i know we did the best we could do and was very happy and just as proud at that moment.

In my mind its only up to the person to judge for themselves whats prestigious or not. I know my ring, nca jacket, worlds silver medal , u.s. spirit medals, and college medals all have the same meaning to me and i feel that they are all prestigious in some way or another. While they may be worthless to another person they mean something to me.

Basically in my mind, if a team wins their county fair and feel that that is prestigious award then it is.
While it might not mean anything to a lot of people it may be a very prestigious honor to another person.

I guess a better way to think of it to me is right now I consider making Team USA a bigger honor than winning ICU. I think making it is a lot harder. Kinda like how getting into Ivy League schools is incredibly hard, but they have a very high graduation rate.

If Team USA was created to help push cheer into the Olympics then why do they hold the competition every year? Shouldn't they do like the Olympics does and hold it every few years? I know that there are a few International teams that don't go every year because of the price, so if they made it every other year then maybe those teams would be able to compete every time because they would have longer to save up the money. It would also give teams that much longer to come up with some amazing routines. Reminds me of Bangkok and when they said it took them over a year to get their routine perfected in order to compete it at ICU/Worlds.
Isn't the other International competition (that the USASF banned people from) only held every few years?

I don't really think you could hold a person's interest on one routine for multiple years. Cheerleaders are used to a new routine, a new feel, everything like that year after year, I don't think many are going to stick around on a team that is practicing one routine for 3 years to perform at one competition.

I don't really think you could hold a person's interest on one routine for multiple years. Cheerleaders are used to a new routine, a new feel, everything like that year after year, I don't think many are going to stick around on a team that is practicing one routine for 3 years to perform at one competition.

I don't know how it works for the other countries do it, but the US teams only meet for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks to learn the routine and then compete it. If they only had the ICU every other year then in the US I would assume they would choose the team and then have the ability to get together more then just the week or so that they do to learn the routine. It could be a get together maybe 3 or 4 times to learn the practice the routine. Just speaking for the US teams, but I feel they could come up with much more difficult routines if they had more chances to practice and get together.

Because most of the other Olympics sports (gymnastics, figure skating) have year world championships. If we're not in the Olympics then why do we need to limit ourselves to every 4 years? The Olympics isn't the only global competition. It's just the biggest.

And the Cheerleading World Championships are held every two years. Could we do that with ICU? Sure. Would it change anything? Probably not.

That is what reminded me. I also saw they had to fundraise this year. My intuition says it won't last another 5 years if they are already having to fundraise to support it.
My daughter is on TEAM USA for a 2nd yr. They have always had to do some amount of fundraising. Flying, housing, feeding, clothing, coaching fees gets expensive!

Because most of the other Olympics sports (gymnastics, figure skating) have year world championships. If we're not in the Olympics then why do we need to limit ourselves to every 4 years? The Olympics isn't the only global competition. It's just the biggest.

And the Cheerleading World Championships are held every two years. Could we do that with ICU? Sure. Would it change anything? Probably not.
It might, at that. Most other sports that have World Championships (except, perhaps, soccer), there are only a few members per team. Unlike cheerleading, which can have 20 or so (not sure of exact numbers) for ICU. There's a lot less fundraising to worry about, and since the required numbers are smaller, there's also (hypothetically) a more streamlined supply of individuals moving through the ranks to that level. If it was held every other year, Teams could probably better prepare themselves for the following competition, knowing they have time to bring some members up. It's one thing to have the USA (who invented cheer as it stands today) with it's depth of cheer talent, having Worlds every year. It's another to expect Intl Teams to consistently fork over for the expense of coming here on a yearly basis. Especially considering some American cheerleaders actually, you know, LIVE in Florida..

wait a second, american universities and colleges are still in school :s ?

Finals for most US schools are either the week leading up to worlds or the week following worlds. Of course then there are the summer terms that students can take. It is always interesting to see what the different times for schools are in different places. When do you guys start classes?

damn canadian schools must be slacking then lol my last class was two weeks ago lol

It depends, I have a friend who is graduating college today, but my old school doesn't finish classes for another two weeks or so. Graduation isn't until mid may. High schools in Massachusetts/New England don't start until September and end at the end of June.

Gosh you guys have looooooooong holidays for the summer. Schools here in the UK run September - Middle/end July and Universities run mid September - end May/Beg June. This is why, being a high school teacher here, I can never make it for Worlds, ever :(

Back