College The Most Difficult College To Try Out For Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know this is an old thread, but was curious if the answer is still the same or has changed. If it has changed, which teams are now the most difficult to make/be a part of?
For NCSU, the hardest part may be just getting accepted into the school. In NC it is one of the hardest schools to get in. Each year is different in terms of how many people tryout. We have two teams of about 50 athletes total. They are the only D1 school in NC that competes at the level of being Top 5 at NCA.

IIRC HPU no longer has competitive teams.

Also man this thread is a blast from the past....

@gofriars610 "Also man this thread is a blast from the past...." Yeah, I never know if I should start a new thread when an old one already exist.

@gofriars610 "Also man this thread is a blast from the past...." Yeah, I never know if I should start a new thread when an old one already exist.

I'm not blaming you!

That was more referring to the posters in here / the fact that one of the blonde mafia was inquiring about the U haha.

Things change!

So for a high school/all star level 5 cheerleader, would you recommend attending a college prospect clinic offered by many programs? Or are these a waste of money better spent on more tumbling classes?

So for a high school/all star level 5 cheerleader, would you recommend attending a college prospect clinic offered by many programs? Or are these a waste of money better spent on more tumbling classes?
If the college you are interested in offers camps/clinics they might be worth your time. It will give you the chance to meet the cheer staff, cheerleaders already on the squad, and give you a great idea on how they do this and if you think they are a fit for you.

**please raise your hand if you're related to Jocelyn**

I would definitely attend clinics offered by any school you're interested in.

One thing is that it gives you an idea of the skills the talent pool has vs. what the program's materials say that the tryout requirements are.

Ex: A program's site may say tumbling requirement is standing tuck and running passes ending in fulls. However, when you get to the clinic, you'll see not only what current athletes can do but what other candidates are throwing as well. It is possible that the materials say standing tucks, but you arrive and you see everyone has a two to full/standing full/tons of specialty passes. Not to panic you, but it's best to know that going in.

I would recommend it, but it isn't absolutely necessary. There was no way my college CP could attend each of her top school's clinic given the expense and also the fact that most clinics are during competition season. She ended up not attending any because she had competitions that conflicted with the clinics. If you do attend a clinic, I recommend also going on a campus tour, meeting with admissions and spending time in the town or city the campus is located in.
I am going to start sounding like a broken record, but I can't stress enough about not choosing your college strictly based on the cheer program. The coaches and athletes have these clinics to recruit you, and they are going to treat you like you are a superstar and their college is the perfect place for you to cheer, but chances are not everything is how they say it is.

^^^^^Yes!

It's part of my job to talk kids through college decisions and I always tell kids:

"Yes, the football/soccer/track program is amazing but imagine that you blew out your knee in the middle of freshman year. Would you still want to go there?"

See also, it's not just your school, but where you'll LIVE a significant number of months per year for four years. You need to like it for more than just one feature.

I'm not blaming you!

That was more referring to the posters in here / the fact that one of the blonde mafia was inquiring about the U haha.

Things change!
100% did not realize this was an old thread. I was kinda confused why @BuegeSmalls was asking about UofM tryouts since 1. She's a graduating senior 2. She know plenty people on the team currently that she could just ask lol .... awkward.

^^^^^Yes!

It's part of my job to talk kids through college decisions and I always tell kids:

"Yes, the football/soccer/track program is amazing but imagine that you blew out your knee in the middle of freshman year. Would you still want to go there?"

See also, it's not just your school, but where you'll LIVE a significant number of months per year for four years. You need to like it for more than just one feature.

Not the first time it's been said but YES! Especially if you're at a school that is academically intense. While you may have the academics to get into a school, you need to be able to survive at the academic pace set by the school. In addition you need to love your school. My program is amazing but I know that if I had to quit cheer, I can say I'm here because it's the best school for my major, and it's close to home. Cheer should be the cherry on top when picking schools.

IMO school research should start with- Academics-distance-price-cheer. I looked at schools I liked academically and while cheering was a slight factor (in fact a reason why i was apprehensive in applying), it was not the driving force.

I am going to start sounding like a broken record, but I can't stress enough about not choosing your college strictly based on the cheer program. The coaches and athletes have these clinics to recruit you, and they are going to treat you like you are a superstar and their college is the perfect place for you to cheer, but chances are not everything is how they say it is.
These are colleges that are on her top 5 list anyway and she wants to visit to gather some feedback on her skills and hopefully gain some constructive criticism from an outside source, other than her all-star and high school coaches. You are definitely right, I wouldn't want her to attend a college for the wrong reasons.

Back