All-Star The Summit 2017 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Curious Question. If scores/breakdowns were released-to public-would you be satisfied with the judges (scores/deductions etc). Or would you be questioning it?

Sometimes the details frustrate me more, but usually seeing breakdowns helps explain why the results came out the way they did and I'm less frustrated.

Last edited:
I have heard from a very reliable source that Varsity did this at the request of the Gyms and didn't expect the backlash they received on not releasing scores to the public, especially the parents.. I was also told this will change in some still to be determined capacity next year.
That's odd, why would gyms ask for scores to remain secret?

IMO the placements are dependent on the scores. When you say the placements are all that matter you give yourself wiggle room for the scores to be off. Scoring can be off for numerous reasons....from the innocent wrong number keyed in, unable to decipher a judges writing to the possibility that scores were actually out of range and not consistent with what was put on the floor in that routine vs the rubric, esp when compared with others in that division. This then opens up major can of worms as to was it intentional or not, who should of really won or moved up if scores were correct, etc. Now add to that the nature of social media now, and you would have screenshots, zoom in's of every team to back up or dispute those results. Which is a PR nightmare, which they may be trying to avoid. (Not saying in this case, just as a general business practice)

My question is if you can't trust the scores to release them, why should we trust the placements? You could just say whomever you wanted to win was the winner and the rest are out of luck. That does not inspire confidence to keep returning to any event or sport. That again makes it not a sport, and makes it something less likely to be supported by the masses as such.

Not releasing scores shows varsity lacks confidence in the consistency if their scoring system/judging.
Bottom line cut and dry.
Agreed. It's hard to release scores when you can't defend the inconsistencies in them (we haven't been given an explanation, as far as I know; I read that as an inability to defend).

I can see both sides of the coin with the not releasing of scores. From a coaches perspective I am not often bothered by it. I am given a break down and know where we are winning and where we are being beat. I know that there are many parents on here that could easily read and understand a breakdown. However, for many parents they don't understand the scoring break down and what it entails in each category, so I could see where these parents with access to a score breakdown could cause a challenge for a coach. Our divsion at Summit was an example of where I am not sure whether a score break down would be beneficial or not.

Semi-finals my Large Senior 2 team was in first with CA Sabres right on our tail and SCV sitting a little lower due to a fall but with a raw score within a tenth of us. Seeing the break down I knew that the division was literally any of those three teams to take with a hit. Finals my Senior 2 goes last and hits one of their best performances of the season. Sabres and SCV both did the same. So I went to awards feeling there was a 33.3% chance we were winning and 66.6% chance we were not. My parents never got to see a score so all they saw was a hit that put us in first followed by a better hit that put us in 3rd. My kids and us coaches were over the moon. We wanted nothing more than to make finals, but to stand on that stage in the top 3 with Sabres and SCV as competitors and to finish within tenths (less than half a point of them) was a feeling I could never imagine recreating. Our parents didn't feel the same. They didn't get it. Three main categories that placed us

CA Sabres edged out stunt tech
SCV edged out tumbling tech
Fame Sirens edged out creativity

So it really was whatever the judges were looking for the most would take it. So while the scores released would have at least shown parents how close the division was and where each of the top three were winning (even though we told them this at our team meeting) I am not sure it would have changed the feelings at the awards ceremony as an uneducated (in cheer) parent isn't going to understand how SCV went up three tenths in stunt tech from day 1 to day 2 or pay attention enough to notice the three extra passes added into Sabres (hypothetical) that upped their tumbling difficulty score day 1 to day 2. So I totally get parents being frustrated not knowing, but I also get where a coach may argue in the favor of not having them revelaed to the general public as not to cause any further challenges with others who may not understand a score break down and how it works.

Last edited:
Back