All-Star The Transition Of Lower To Upper Level Coed Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
I’m sorry this isn’t as well-researched as it should be, but lately I was wondering why a gym like CEA that is brimming with talented male athletes in the lower divisions doesn’t have as much of a presence in the coed divisions at Worlds. I know Coed Elite got third in the medium division last year, but you really don’t hear as much about them as you do other coed teams. Which is weird to me because it stands to reason that a gym that wins Summit in the coed divisions repeatedly should be able to transition that talent into Worlds pretty effortlessly. A + B = C. I know it’s not THAT cut and dry, but there does seem to be a hiccup there. Any explanation why?

CEA had coed teams place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at Worlds last year. So I would say that is pretty successful.

I meant more in the non-open divisions where you’d see the most kids transitioning their skills from lower levels to upper levels.

I’m not saying they’re not successful, but I’d assume that a gym with a solid younger coed contingent would make a stronger showing in senior coed. But instead, they seem to get lost amongst TGLC and Cheetahs (when they were in large) and both Blops teams (when they were in medium). Obviously all of these teams are incredible and finishing behind them is nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s a bit of any anomaly to me. It’s like they’ve got great young athletes and — now that you mention it — great adult athletes (although Cougar Coed is in a different location than Coed Elite and the Summit teams that feed into it, which are the teams I’m thinking of). But the typically teen-heavy division gets lost in the shuffle. Does it just come down to coaching? I’m not trying to knock anyone; I’m just genuinely interested in the factors that contribute to this and how they fit into cheer theory/strategy. Maybe it’s just that Coed Elite’s main competitors have been doing it for longer (I haven’t looked that far back into the standings). Maybe it’s just that other senior coed teams draw more teenage male athletes because they’re so successful. I really don’t know, but am curious.

One thing I did notice though is that WE, Cali, and TG — the gyms that CEA competes against in senior coed or has competed against in the recent past — all have teams in restricted 5 at Summit whereas CEA sees their Summit success in level 4. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited:
I would not say they're not doing well. I googled a little and a Summit-winning Coed 4 and a Majors-winning JCoed 6 is pretty successful (same Junior Coed 6 also came in 2nd at Summit) is pretty successful. Coed going bronze first year in a new division is pretty great as well.

The big things that I think play into doing well in senior coed divisions:

*Strong Junior Coed 6s, Coed 5.
*Building male talent from the ground up (like from Level 1-4 and really getting boys in young.) Not counting on already talented boys walking in your door wanting to cheer.

I think CEA does both pretty well.

I don't think the placement of teams like Coed = a talent issue. They have a decent pool of males who have been there for quite some time it seems. It is a choreo/coaching thing. They tend to play it safe - which you could argue worked well for them because they DID make the podium/medal for first time in a while.

Sidenote: It's crazy that cheer defines success so much by gold medals now. A team could literally (example) win NCA, Cheersport, and Majors, but if they don't get that Worlds ring, the season is not necessarily considered a success. But that is a topic for another day. lol.

I would not say they're not doing well. I googled a little and a Summit-winning Coed 4 and a Majors-winning JCoed 6 is pretty successful (same Junior Coed 6 also came in 2nd at Summit) is pretty successful. Coed going bronze first year in a new division is pretty great as well.

The big things that I think play into doing well in senior coed divisions:

*Strong Junior Coed 6s, Coed 5.
*Building male talent from the ground up (like from Level 1-4 and really getting boys in young.) Not counting on already talented boys walking in your door wanting to cheer.

I think CEA does both pretty well.

I don't think the placement of teams like Coed = a talent issue. They have a decent pool of males who have been there for quite some time it seems. It is a choreo/coaching thing. They tend to play it safe - which you could argue worked well for them because they DID make the podium/medal for first time in a while.

Sidenote: It's crazy that cheer defines success so much by gold medals now. A team could literally (example) win NCA, Cheersport, and Majors, but if they don't get that Worlds ring, the season is not necessarily considered a success. But that is a topic for another day. lol.

No, I’d never say Coed Elite was unsuccessful by any means. I’d never call any Worlds team unsuccessful. Coed Elite is strong, just not as strong as I would’ve hoped given how dominant the CEA feeder teams are in other coed divisions. Their lower level coed teams routinely finish in first place, while Coed Elite is rarely considered to even be in the running for first place at Worlds (finals yes, first place no). Last year at least, it was all about the Black Ops showdown. And when Coed Elite was in large, it was (and usually always has been) about TG and CA. Their third place finish during their inaugural year in medium last year was impressive, but this was after they moved down from large... a move that suggests — admittedly in my HS cheer brain — that it’s time to cut your losses and streamline your athletes (I’m not saying that was the case, I’m just saying that’s how I read it). So I’m just wondering where the discrepancy lies.

But on the other hand, that’s a good point about how success is measured. Worlds is not necessarily the live-and-die arbiter of who is first place material and who isn’t. It does have a competitive turnout, but more than that I think it’s just marketed really well.

ETA: NVM, my question has been answered via DM.

CEA has several different gyms. It has nothing to do with the coaches or anything. They utilize the age eligible guys that they have. Kernersville is where coed elite is located. It is a small gym with exceptional coaches and staff. They only have one coed worlds team. They also have senior elite and lady lux. Three excellent worlds teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEA CoEd Elite won first place in the large division at worlds in 2015. They don’t have enough male athletes to field a large team now but I bet they place top 3 again this year. They definitely have the talent this year! I’m not going to jinx them by saying they will take the gold in 2020 but I will say that all three of the worlds teams from Kernersville are going to be fierce this year. My granddaughter cheers at CEA Kernersville and will be on a worlds team when she is age eligible. I can honestly say that this gym has excellent staff and they put their heart and soul into working with every athlete at the gym. They are incredible and I wouldn’t have her cheering there if I didn’t think otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back