All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel as though it's being talked about for nothing.... hasn't Cali done chola-themed practices before? And didn't Baylor A&T do something like this as well?

I do agree that the pregnant stomachs are inappropriate.

I'm African-American, for the record. Perhaps I'm missing something, and I understand that the 'gangster' theme is usually attributed to us, but... I don't know. Perhaps it is harmful.

Last edited:
I'd encourage teams to REALLY THINK these themes over before using them.

I know that White people have the privilege to be able to think that Ghetto Girls is a completely harmless theme, but let me be the first to tell you that in many cases it translates to "Black girl themed practice" and is perceived offensively by us.

Also: Perceived harmlessness does not determine whether something is racist or offensive. Example: You might think as a non-Native American that your Cowboys & Indians practice theme is "harmless" and that you "meant to no harm" but that does not absolve peeps from any fallout from it. Because your intent is not what you're judged by!

So in summary, don't. Thanks!

I'm latin and I didn't find it racist, but they probably took it a bit to far with the pregnant bellies. Smoed just had their Thug theme practice this week, guess lots of gyms have gangster day. Wonder if people would get offended by gender bender theme practice?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thank you for the context onecoolcoachnowmom. To me, they looked like gang girls I see around here, who are not black. If that is the first thing that you think when you see them, I understand how that is offensive.

As a middle class white girl, I try not to pretend like I know what it's like to be any type of minority or that I somehow can be the authority on what is/is not offensive. Just because you don't mean harm, doesn't mean you are absolved of your stupidity. It may not offensive to 'you', but it might be offensive to others. Like the whole 'ratchet' thing- it ends up being a stereotype that negatively affects others.

To me, it's heading in a direction I don't like. Especially with the pregnant stomachs.

My team actually had this theme for a practice last season. It's all in good fun. I don't think any of us really thought about it in an offensive manner at all. I think the pregnant bellies may have been taking it a little too far though.

Let me put it another way:

I'm filming a series I've written. We had to adjust one of the characters because although I'd written it based off of a real-life person who acted a certain way, we were afraid that someone might take it as being derogatory toward a marginalized group. It was NEVER my intention for it to be malicious and, like I said, it was based off of a a true person's behavior (nothing over-the-top caricature). We still didn't want to risk it being taken in the wrong way, so we changed it.

I long for the day when 'Just being teens' goes the way of 'boys will be boys'. That's not a blanket excuse for everything.

What do you guys think about this article? I personally don't think the girls meant any harm

California High School Cheerleaders Pose as Gangsters for Team Photo - The Root

Hope the article shows up

To be honest, my first reaction to reading your comments and the gangster label, I did not relate it to Black Gangsters and Pregnant Black Teenagers, but the White gangsters, like Scarface and all the Italian mobsters...

As a Mom, my daughter would not walked out of the house representing any of these negative caricatures of subcultures... These things do not represent us and should never be glorify, especially in a school setting... Matter of fact, why not have the athletes come dress up like Nazi officers and Hitler, if we really want to go down this road...:mad: I am actually one of those insane Moms that will transfer my child out of that school, if they do not fire any and all involve for this foolishness! I am totally Serious and angry about this CRAP!
There are so many positive things that our cheerleaders should want to represent - but, but,but...
You know let me stop here, I have so much to say but I am too angry!:banghead:

PS: If you are under 18 years old, Please leave the room because it is getting ready to go down here...
Sorry back on Soapbox on this topic - If we are going dig into the bottom of the barrel for themes - Why leave any culture out-I am for equal opportunity insults-
1. Pimps (boys) and Hos(girls)
2. Blackface with huge Afro wigs
3. Klu Klux Klan
4. Trailer Park Trash
5. Massa(boys) and slaves

Last edited:
To be honest, my first reaction to reading your comments and the gangster label, I did not relate it to Black Gangsters and Pregnant Black Teenagers, but the White gangsters, like Scarface and all the Italian mobsters...

As a Mom, my daughter would not walked out of the house representing any of these negative caricatures of subculture... These things do not represent us and should never be glorify, especially in a school setting... Matter of fact, why not have the athletes come dress up like Nazi officers and Hitler, if we really want to go down this road...:mad: I am actually one of those insane Mom's that will transfer my child out of that school, if they do not fire any and all involve for this foolishness! I am totally Serious and angry about this CRAP!
There are so many positive things that our cheerleaders should want to represent - but, but,but...
You know let me stop here, I have so much to say but I am too angry!:banghead:

I can totally see a different side when you brought up the Nazi and Hitler reference. You are complete right when you say they more positive choices.

My daughter's teams have had theme days and thanks to the positivity of the program and the coaches it never even occurred to me that a theme could be negative- but I now I see a big example of it. I can't imagine picking a theme that focuses on a negative aspect of our culture. Why select a theme that is more closely aligned with the destruction of our youth than one that builds them up? I am happy our gym has stuck with decades (like the 80's), or neon...at least they are not instantly negative.

^^^^There are just so many other themes that don't involve potentially inflammatory or derogatory stereotypes that those mentioned upthread shouldn't even be an option.

Also, what sort of adult/coach allows these if suggested by athletes.

When I ask for theme suggestions, my kids know better than to say "Oh I know, let's make it Ghetto Girl day!"

Back