All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

(amen to affording pearls...)

OK, this is long, because it's hard to explain.

Elite CPS high schools need to reconsider race as factor - Chicago Sun-Times

This article is an opinion piece. If you Google Chicago public schools, and race, and selective enrollment you will get more. I picked this because it's short, and flat out states that up until 2010 race was a factor in determining entrance to these schools, as opposed to just scores. And that based on a supreme Court ruling, that system was done away with.

Facts to keep in mind:
-The new system has increased the number of white students in these schools. Obviously this benefits my family, so my bias is clear.
-The new system is awful, unfair, and just as race based and corrupt as the old one. I don't know how to fix it - but I do know it's still unfair.
-These schools are selective enrollment, which means you have to test into them. They are still, however, PUBLIC SCHOOLS. There is supposed to be fair and equal access to them. Up until 2010, if you were black you could score up to 100 points lower on the tests and get in, over a white child that scored higher. Under the new system, the same is true, except instead of black/white, they've divided it by socioeconomic factors and neighborhood. This is more in alignment with how all of the US segregates schools, but is no less race based. This system is obviously flawed, but I'm not sure how to make it fair. The desirable schools are not in bad neighborhoods, and those kids are coming from cr@ppy schools - so it is more difficult for them to score well on these tests (think SATs on a smaller scale). I don't know that a score only system would give them fair access, so I see why we have a system - I just don't like the system we have.

The only reason I brought it up is because it is a very clear example of non-white people in a position of power deciding to intentionally withhold a right from white people. I don't see how this is not racist (*the majority of people in power in Chicago - the city leaders and the people who make decisions, policies, and laws - are non-white. Less than 50% of the population of the city is white, making whites not the majority here. Not offensive, regardless of how people take it - this is an actual statistic. There are more minorities in Chicago than white people. Again, oxymoron. However, the point is, the power for THIS decision was not solely in the hands of rich white people)

I'm not asking if the system is right or fair, or anything else. All I asked is how is this NOT RACISM. People in power choosing to deny someone something based on their race, and no other factors.

I don't even know that I think it's not OK - I want all kids in Chicago to have access to good schools, and I spend a lot of time and effort fighting for free, fair, and equal education for every kid in this city. I see that the setup of schools is garbage, meant to intentionally deny access to poor minority children (geographically). What I don't see is how denying white children access is any less racist. So, only in response to "black people can't be racist," I think this is ONE example of they can.
Wow Just-a-Mom! You threw a lot out there to read over and think about... brb, I need to do some research and think a bit...Oh who am I kidding, I be back, I am going to the little Girl's room, I do most of my best thinking in there! ;)

Last edited:
It was 100% smart@$$, I agree.

But also a very good example of how ridiculous the entire "only the offended get to determine what is offensive" mindset can get to.
I have never posted or said anything to that nonsense because I dont believe it myself. The comment was insensitive just like the original picture. You can justify will the slick comments you find necessary to do so, but its obvious that comment wasn't coming from a positive place.

You want to know what I love about cheer? I love the fact when my kids walk through those doors all races are represented from the lightest to the darkest. I love there are many religions and people of different sexual orientation. I love the fact that when those kids are on that floor they come together and work as a team, nothing else matters. Peace, love and granola my Fierce Board friends.:kiss:

You want to know what I love about cheer? I love the fact when my kids walk through those doors all races are represented from the lightest to the darkest. I love there are many religions and people of different sexual orientation. I love the fact that when those kids are on that floor they come together and work as a team, nothing else matters. Peace, love and granola my Fierce Board friends.:kiss:
Thank you! Something I actually want to chime in on. We've worked very hard (deliberately) to raise our kids so they don't see color (as much as is humanely possible). When they were little it was a teachable moment to say "let's describe the little boy on the playground as the one in the red shirt, or with the blond hair, or with the blue bike. Let's not describe them by their skin color."

Later when they did start noticing kids were different we always have the same answer, "of course they are. Your friend x has pretty oval eyes and your friend x has beautiful dark skin etc because this planet would be terribly boring if we all looked the same. What's a rainbow with only one color?" That worked for them.

I'm not saying were perfect parents but we made a conscious decision to raise them in as race, gender, orientation, culture neutral as possible.

Because that's all I CAN do. I can't change a historical past that happened long before my family came here (3rd generation born in the US). I can't change how others think or feel or what they say. But I can change my own offspring for the next generation with the hope they'll do the same with their own kids and every generation might have less of these discussions.

It's why I've pretty much stayed out of this because it has been a conscious effort on our part to make a difference even if were just the "privileged white class" that doesn't get it.

Contemplating witty signatures since 2011

Thank you! Something I actually want to chime in on. We've worked very hard (deliberately) to raise our kids so they don't see color (as much as is humanely possible). When they were little it was a teachable moment to say "let's describe the little boy on the playground as the one in the red shirt, or with the blond hair, or with the blue bike. Let's not describe them by their skin color."

Later when they did start noticing kids were different we always have the same answer, "of course they are. Your friend x has pretty oval eyes and your friend x has beautiful dark skin etc because this planet would be terribly boring if we all looked the same. What's a rainbow with only one color?" That worked for them.

I'm not saying were perfect parents but we made a conscious decision to raise them in as race, gender, orientation, culture neutral as possible.

Because that's all I CAN do. I can't change a historical past that happened long before my family came here (3rd generation born in the US). I can't change how others think or feel or what they say. But I can change my own offspring for the next generation with the hope they'll do the same with their own kids and every generation might have less of these discussions.

It's why I've pretty much stayed out of this because it has been a conscious effort on our part to make a difference even if were just the "privileged white class" that doesn't get it.

Contemplating witty signatures since 2011

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy being a children's librarian so much. Little kids are so fun to interact with because for the most part they don't see color. When I do my two year old story time, I know that little Harper, Charlotte, Elijah, Jackson etc aren't like "Ms. Erin looks different from everyone else in the room". They're just excited to see Ms. Erin.

At our children's meeting this week another librarian (she was white) shared an article about the lack of black characters in children's literature and how upset and appalling it was (insert statistic about the number books featuring black characters here).

I said to her that growing up I never noticed that. I wasn't taught to notice that. One of the greatest qualities of a good book is that the reader can envision characters looking like anyone. The reason I enjoyed "Alexander and the Horrible No Good ...." Is because I could see myself in Alexander ( my bad day struggle was real). It never dawned on me that him being white should matter.

I also pointed out they the only books on the SC Book Award nominees for 14/15 with black characters are about slavery, the civil rights movement or the post reconstruction era. I only noticed this because over time I was taught to notice it.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why I enjoy being a children's librarian so much. Little kids are so fun to interact with because for the most part they don't see color. When I do my two year old story time, I know that little Harper, Charlotte, Elijah, Jackson etc aren't like "Ms. Erin looks different from everyone else in the room". They're just excited to see Ms. Erin.

At our children's meeting this week another librarian (she was white) shared an article about the lack of black characters in children's literature and how upset and appalling it was (insert statistic about the number books featuring black characters here).

I said to her that growing up I noticed that. I wasn't taught to notice that. One of the greatest qualities of a good book is that the reader can envision characters looking like anyone. The reason I enjoyed "Alexander and the Horrible No Good ...." Is because I could see myself in Alexander ( my bad day struggle was real). It never dawned on me that him being white should matter.

I also pointed out they the only books on the SC Book Award nominees for 14/15 with black characters are about slavery, the civil rights movement or the post reconstruction era. I only noticed this because over time I was taught to notice it.

Now THIS is something I can agree with wholeheartedly. When my daughter was younger, I wanted to raise her that color of skin didn't matter (as @12stepCheermom said - " let's try to describe the boy as 'the boy in the red shirt' - not as 'the black boy" etc) In my attempts to do this I bought her all races of dolls, etc. and never said a peep about "Oh let's buy the black doll. It's important to have every race of doll!" because I felt like that negated what I was trying to teach (not sure if I'm saying this right - I hope I am. Point being that by pointing out that the doll was black, I would be making race an issue even if I was trying to point out a positive.)

But good lord, when it comes to books? Nothing. Zero. Absolutely nada. Every book that has anyone of another race, THAT is the story. I wanted books that the main character was black, or Latina, or biracial, etc, but where that wasn't what the story was about. I could only find romances. Are there any books that are just a story, with the main character NOT a white female?

Now THIS is something I can agree with wholeheartedly. When my daughter was younger, I wanted to raise her that color of skin didn't matter (as @12stepCheermom said - " let's try to describe the boy as 'the boy in the red shirt' - not as 'the black boy" etc) In my attempts to do this I bought her all races of dolls, etc. and never said a peep about "Oh let's buy the black doll. It's important to have every race of doll!" because I felt like that negated what I was trying to teach (not sure if I'm saying this right - I hope I am. Point being that by pointing out that the doll was black, I would be making race an issue even if I was trying to point out a positive.)

But good lord, when it comes to books? Nothing. Zero. Absolutely nada. Every book that has anyone of another race, THAT is the story. I wanted books that the main character was black, or Latina, or biracial, etc, but where that wasn't what the story was about. I could only find romances. Are there any books that are just a story, with the main character NOT a white female?

As far as books, there's the Nikki and Deja series, Liberty Porter series, Sugar Plum Ballerinas, Sassy, there's a new book called the Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond...its about a mixed race girl dealing with being mixed race. None of those series were around when I was growing up

I often get moms that come in wanting books with characters that "look" like their child....but its never the child saying "Oh I only want books with black people in it!". On one hand I understand the parent, because in general as a parent of a child of any race, its difficult to teach your child to be accepting of things that the media teaches them are flaws....and that can be weight, skin color, height, eye color, eye shape, hair color, hair texture... so you want to find examples of characters that "look" like your child being happy and go lucky and all that jazz. So that I do get. But honestly that little girl can go read the Clementine series or Judy Moody and still be fine....for the most part reading and imagination allows you to imagine the character to look like whomever you wish.

Remember how shocked people were when Rue from the Hunger Games was black? The book never called her black but described her as having dark skin.... yet some people imagined her as being just white with a tan.

There's a picture book by Jacqueline Woodson called "The Other Side". I recommend that any and everyone of all ages read it.... Also "Each Kindness" by the same author is a good book to share with your child before school starts back

We must have different definitions of "came at her". Go back and actually read the post. It's not any kind of an attack; it's a question of a timeline.

I was born in 1962. I have a lot of memories from the late 60's, but I don't really see how I can say I "grew up" in the 60's.

We grew up in the 70's and boy was that FUN!

Back