All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Loved PBS I still remember when Barney and friends, wishbone, and where in the world is Carmen sandiego. I don't really remember ghostwriter. Oh and lamb chop.
I was an Arthur kid.... to this day it's my #1 favorite show and the only reason I ever drank Juicy Juice. I have the Carmen Sandiego computer game (SO. MUCH. FUN.) as well as Arthur's Thinking, Reading and Math Games and the Bionic Bunny Good Deeds Contest game. The show has gone downhill over the years... it's not as sophisticated and clever as it used to be, though the topics are still good.

I once had a Hispanic high school student tell me I was a white racist * who hated Hispanics. I picked up the picture from my desk of me with my Hispanic Husband and our 3 kids (I am divorced now). I also shared with him that I was 1/4 Jewish, a 1/4 Cherokee mixed with German, French, and some unknown. He responded it didn't matter because I looked white and acted white. By the end of the school year I had a positive relationship with that student, but I have never forgotten that comment and response.

Wow, you are just a baby... My oldest child is born in '87... Yes, Jaylen definitely rocking the Flashdance look from the movie... 80's in its highest glory!
Yep, that was my best decade- total freeloader!
Yeah I'm kind of young. Lol

But this outfit I didn't put much thought into.i don't even know what Flashdance is lol.

This is the same red leotard she wore for wonder woman but the WW was painted with gold so she had to wear the shirt to cover it up so no one would know. Lol
Admittedly I did try to make her reuse her Wonder Woman costume for Halloween dress up but she just wanted a bloody/bruised face instead. How original. Lol

I once had a Hispanic high school student tell me I was a white racist * who hated Hispanics. I picked up the picture from my desk of me with my Hispanic Husband and our 3 kids (I am divorced now). I also shared with him that I was 1/4 Jewish, a 1/4 Cherokee mixed with German, French, and some unknown. He responded it didn't matter because I looked white and acted white. By the end of the school year I had a positive relationship with that student, but I have never forgoteen that comment and response.
My experience isn't analogous, but other black kids used to claim that I acted "white" because I speak proper English.... they didn't even realize that they were insulting themselves.

But this outfit I didn't put much thought into.i don't even know what Flashdance is lol.

This is the same red leotard she wore for wonder woman but the WW was painted with gold so she had to wear the shirt to cover it up so no one would know. Lol
Admittedly I did try to make her reuse her Wonder Woman costume for Halloween dress up but she just wanted a bloody/bruised face instead. How original. Lol
Pretty fitting for cheer, if you think about it. :D

I once had a Hispanic high school student tell me I was a white racist * who hated Hispanics. I picked up the picture from my desk of me with my Hispanic Husband and our 3 kids (I am divorced now). I also shared with him that I was 1/4 Jewish, a 1/4 Cherokee mixed with German, French, and some unknown. He responded it didn't matter because I looked white and acted white. By the end of the school year I had a positive relationship with that student, but I have never forgoteen that comment and response.
I always get mistaken for being Hispanic. I get mail in Spanish because I have a Spanish last name. I'm native American.

Last edited:
Pretty fitting for cheer, if you think about it. :D
6a5uqaty.jpg

Ok ok last pic I promise. It's kind of hard to see but unfortunately she doesn't look as fierce as those Cali girls:( lol

I feel old

Aren't you around the same age as me? I'm 26! How long ago was this flashdance?
haha, I'm older than you, but thanks! Flashdance was early 80s. I was too young to see it in the movies, but I've seen it multiple times.

It's not a minority thing. No one knows what it's like to be anyone else of another race, period.

And I think your posts have been very indicative of your "I have nothing to learn" stance as well - so I'm not sure why you threw that in. You certainly have not been open to any other perspectives in this thread either.

I don't "know it all" - I know more than some people and less than others. But I've lived a lot of things that you haven't (as I'm sure you have as well - I'm not saying I know what it's like to be you). It's really frustrating when people assume that because I'm white I can't possibly understand anything.

Relating and understanding are two different things. I can't relate to your life and your struggles. But really... I can understand them.

I said minority group or race because a minority group is a group that is in the minority. It does not have to be a race. Gay people are a minority. I don't know what its like to be a gay person, there are things that gay people go through that I will never be able to understand. I can support them, but I will never understand.

My standpoint from this thread is not "I have nothing to learn" its "I don't want to discuss this too intricately because I know what happens when I do". My posts from a personal standpoint have been few and far between, when I was sharing something with Pebbles I cut myself off and said nevermind only to have someone else insult me because they felt I owed them an explanation for some unknown reason. I don't need to debate whether or not black people can be racist. I don't want to debate affirmative action and who it hurts or who it benefits....and for what its worth, I've been negatively impacted by affirmative action.

Nobody assumed that because you are white that you can't possibly understand anything, but you also cant assume that you know everything either.

My experience isn't analogous, but other black kids used to claim that I acted "white" because I speak proper English.... they didn't even realize that they were insulting themselves.
I get that a lot. It drives me nuts that some friends use "da" for "the". I'm like omg just add one more letter. Sometimes I'm like what did you just say. I use slang too but when writing something um no.

I said minority group or race because a minority group is a group that is in the minority. It does not have to be a race. Gay people are a minority. I don't know what its like to be a gay person, there are things that gay people go through that I will never be able to understand. I can support them, but I will never understand.

My standpoint from this thread is not "I have nothing to learn" its "I don't want to discuss this too intricately because I know what happens when I do". My posts from a personal standpoint have been few and far between, when I was sharing something with Pebbles I cut myself off and said nevermind only to have someone else insult me because they felt I owed them an explanation for some unknown reason. I don't need to debate whether or not black people can be racist. I don't want to debate affirmative action and who it hurts or who it benefits....and for what its worth, I've been negatively impacted by affirmative action.

Nobody assumed that because you are white that you can't possibly understand anything, but you also cant assume that you know everything either.

Oops. Reading it that way it makes more sense. Sorry - minority group clicked as a race thing because I've been reading and posting in this thread too long. But yes, I see what you were saying now.

I definitely don't know everything. I have actually learned things in this thread. I still don't agree that black people can't be racist, but after 41 years on this earth, this thread is the first place where that statement was even explained in a way I understood. So now, while I still disagree, it doesn't seem so crazy to me (I legitimately never understood where people were coming from on that.)

Back