All-Star This Is A Situation I Feel That I Know More Than The Coach. What Do I Do...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 12, 2010
i cant make it to my teams camp...i have to work and besides that i was not trying to go anyway (im not a bad or lazy teammate, ill explain later). This camp, i will not expose the name of the company, comes in every year for my team and they do absolutely nothing for us, the teams used the same pyramid and such for the last 3 seasons, and if anything its been down graded.

I'm doing music and choreo for most of our routine this year, so i see why attending camp would be important, but i would have no conrtol, this camp is led by the staff and staff only and my coach. its more of an instructional camp.

my problem is my coach is giving me hell for missing it, when its not a camp that would do anything but take away from my skills. for example, last season, when i wasnt on the team, they wanted to do tic tocs, so said company tried teaching them and they could not figure it out ( and they would switch hand grips and do something funky with it...). after the season was over we had a mini camp, and i took a group to the side to try to teach them a REAL tic toc, and they hit consistently after about 15 minutes of practicing it. that alone made me understand that this camp is not worth the time or money.

my coach has threatened me that i could possibly lose my spot on the team if i skip camp, even though im a huge factor on the team and im taking this team to the next level with skills and choreo...and coaching, our coaches philosophy is that we are adults so its up to us how many full outs we do and such, so she is basically an over-exaggerated chaperon that presses play for us. the team isnt amazing...yet, but i like it and i wanna stay to really make a difference to show i can pull something off like this.

What do i say to this. i want to say your barely a coach and the team would vote to keep me over you, and this camp and company she used to work for is a waste of our time and money. do i be completely honest with her so i can set her straight?( i know good coaches, ive been around courtney smith pope and cheer extreme for a couple years so i know what real coaches are...this is not a "coach")

FYI im not stubbern or rude or think im above people, ive put up with her long enough and i feel like not opening my mouth is hold me and the team back. has anyone else had a coach that didnt push them? this is a serious problem and its basically all us athletes talking behind and making decisions behind our coaches back.

All i'm going to say is that when you join a team, you have to understand to an extent that the coach is in charge. Like any athlete, look at the situation another way...what if Kobe Bryant kepy undermining the coach and refused to go to a camp, how would it look, to outsiders, the team? If its that much of a struggle, maybe you should find another team.

at this point if you're not happy with the program/team/coaches i would just suggest leave.. if people dont the coaching, COACHING then theres an obvious problem.. but dont stick around if this is the sport you love then you want to be in a program that will better your skills & you get what you pay for.. my only question to you is the tuition youre paying.. is it going to good use, do you think youre getting your moneys worth?

Underestimated said:
at this point if you're not happy with the program/team/coaches i would just suggest leave.. if people dont the coaching, COACHING then theres an obvious problem.. but dont stick around if this is the sport you love then you want to be in a program that will better your skills & you get what you pay for.. my only question to you is the tuition youre paying.. is it going to good use, do you think youre getting your moneys worth?

What?

This is basically the situation with my hisgh school team. I AM the coach basically smh. I'd think you said ask (in the most respectful way possible) what has our team gained through the years we have attended this camp, then tell her about some other camps for the same or cheaper price.

I think you need to be at camp. Yall are a team, adults or not. Sounds like you're getting opportunities and experience on this team (or with this program) that you might not get at another program, so I can see why you wouldn't want to leave.
I agree with @FamousxMindset that respectfully asking what the value is could help. Offer to do an in-house camp or come prepared with other options.

I think this is his college team. I had similar situations with my college team. Coaches weren't knowledgeable. All they ever seemed to do was look to us for guidance and punish us if they didn't like our behavior or attitude.

If you can't make it because of prior commitments then tell her. If you're just skipping because you don't want to go then thats wrong. I feel the reason she wants you there is because you play a big role on the team and need to set an example. You can't be leading a team then not go to a camp because you don't like how its run. You should go to the camp and be able to tell your team when they are doing something incorrectly and help them out. It may make it easier in the long run instead of reteaching them the week after.

I was thinking it was an open team, and you were being asked to take off from your full time job for cheer camp!!!! That would be a no.

If it's your college team, I agree 100% with @imrichhowboutu
My college team was really talented (every person was UCA or NCA staff), but the most difficulty we were allowed at games (didn't compete) were libs/cupies for partner stunting and 2-2-1s, on occasion we'd be allowed a tuck toss. Granted, it was the late 90s, but everything was done in a ripple. No full ups, no heel stretches, no fun. But, we just went with it and would meet up outside of practice to do fun stunting.

So this camp is basically a stunt camp. I feel like the only way to get around this is to offer the coaches something better whether that be another company or yourself. It seems to me you're doing a lot more coaching than the coaches, so why not teach stunts too? You'd have to do it for free but that might sway them in your favor. Otherwise, go to the darn camp. Show up the instructors when every other group hits the floor and yours hits cause you know what you're doing

Ineverstopcheering said:
I feel like the only way to get around this is to offer the coaches something better whether that be another company or yourself.

I agree 100%. If you are going to complain, come up with a solution or stop complaining.

Yes, go to the camp and deal with it up for the time being. Just because you are choreographing and doing music doesn't mean you can skip camp. That appears to the team you do not care. I would talk to the coach and explain how you feel about these instructors. Maybe the following year you can change the company and try someone else. You also have to think that the company that came to instruct came at the beginning of the season and you worked with the group at the end of the season. That group was able to work together all season, become stronger, and more knowledgeable too.

I think this is his college team. I had similar situations with my college team. Coaches weren't knowledgeable. All they ever seemed to do was look to us for guidance and punish us if they didn't like our behavior or attitude.

If you can't make it because of prior commitments then tell her. If you're just skipping because you don't want to go then thats wrong. I feel the reason she wants you there is because you play a big role on the team and need to set an example. You can't be leading a team then not go to a camp because you don't like how its run. You should go to the camp and be able to tell your team when they are doing something incorrectly and help them out. It may make it easier in the long run instead of reteaching them the week after.
I have to do music and choreo for other teams that weekend. thats my future job and i dont want to cancel and have angry coaches and a bad name just starting out. If i didn't have work I would def go to camp, even if it isn't a good camp i would go thats not the issue, eveb if i did dislike the camp. the problem is i have no support from my parents anymore and this job is whats giving me gas money and such to survive college. the fact that i could lose my spot for missing a crumby camp is the problem when i have something that will benefit my future career to do first. The only thing my coach is bringing up is that i new about the camp since april, i didnt get this job till about a month ago...

Back