All-Star Thoughts On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2014
This is my first year in cheer but been following the sport for close to 3 years. Something that really bothers me is cheerlebrities. Cheer is a TEAM sport so instead of have an INDIVIDUAL ATHLETE you admire how about a team or a gym or the coach.

I am going to be honest I love top gun, world cup shooting stars and cja do I know who are on those teams no I dont but admire the gyms.
I admire cja more then most though and the main reason is the coach Patty Ann I got interested in cheer by watching cheer! online and love her values when coaching.

So my question is what do you think about cheerlebrities should it be more about the team because without the team or the gym they wouldnt be who they are today?

Also who is your favourite team/gym?

Yes it's definitely a team sport, but there will always be those who stand out weather its for skills, looks, or the team they're on. For me I have several favorite teams/gyms, but to name athletes I probably can't do that. I also know teams based on their cheerlebrities or just enjoy their routine. When I first saw SE 2010 routine I was wow with them then found out about their cheerlebs. I probably wouldn't know or pick out cheerlebs unless someone else points them out or they've been talked about a lot

I don't mine cheerlebs as long as they are good role models, displays good sportsmanship, and are hard working for their team. I think that's what comes with the whole package of being a cheerleb!

I admire tons of gyms as a whole and not individually. I hate to single out any but I suppose top gun is a good one. For me I always watched them and I've been on all girl teams and a few co ed I was always fascinated by co ed.

But that's just me idk! Some people hate the whole cheerleb thing.

My concerns come from a place of safety.

Ex: Chelsea Cheerlebrity takes a pic of her and her best friend at a local mall.

200 comments:

"Omg I know where that mall is!"
"I AM THERE RIGHT NOW!"
"Ahhhhh let's go find them!"

That's no good. It's easy to assume that those commenters are all teenaged girls, but you never know.

My concerns come from a place of safety.

Ex: Chelsea Cheerlebrity takes a pic of her and her best friend at a local mall.

200 comments:

"Omg I know where that mall is!"
"I AM THERE RIGHT NOW!"
"Ahhhhh let's go find them!"

That's no good. It's easy to assume that those commenters are all teenaged girls, but you never know.

its so true also I want to repsect peoples privacy so thats why im not big on the cheerleb culture

Well, it's kind of against human nature to ignore each individual. Human nature sees that one person barely has a full, and this person has a double, so...what are you going to prefer? It's like natural selection. Good-looking/more skilled people have a better chance of surviving, or in this case, being more popular. It's human nature to pick out and admire certain people. What really annoys me is when people have to hate on 'cheerlebrities'. Is it their fault people like them? What logical athlete says, "Wow, people will admire me if I work hard. That's terrible. I'm going to sit on the couch and eat chips now."
No. It's not their fault, and frankly, it doesn't matter.
Why the hate? It's human nature. There's no changing it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well, it's kind of against human nature to ignore each individual. Human nature sees that one person barely has a full, and this person has a double, so...what are you going to prefer? It's like natural selection. Good-looking/more skilled people have a better chance of surviving, or in this case, being more popular. It's human nature to pick out and admire certain people. What really annoys me is when people have to hate on 'cheerlebrities'. Is it their fault people like them? What logical athlete says, "Wow, people will admire me if I work hard. That's terrible. I'm going to sit on the couch and eat chips now."
No. It's not their fault, and frankly, it doesn't matter.
Why the hate? It's human nature. There's no changing it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
But 9 times out of 10 they aren't singled out for their talent. Cheerlebrities used to be singled out for their talent back in the days of no social media. Point flyers, last pass, etc. Now with the explosion of social media, people aren't electing the cheerlebs based off talent, they are "choosing" them partially for their looks and partially through their "marketing" of themselves. (webshows, social media, clinics, sponsorship etc.)

I also don't completely agree that it's "not their fault". The ones who complain about their new-found cheerleb stardom, I'd venture to say they facilitated it in some way. Signings at events, promotions, public social media platforms, posing in magazines. That to me, is their "fault".

I don't even like to call them cheerlebs. are they known? sure. But, not necessarily by everybody. They are honestly just average people who are recognized for tumbling, flexibility, stunting, hair, etc. Having 15k followers on instagram doesn't make you famous and it's not going to matter in 5-10 years when applying for college or a job. Honestly there are so many amazing athletes that no one knows about from small gyms and large gyms. I don't mind if you are known for great reasons (nice, great sportsmanship, hardworking, etc. and then the great tumbling is just an added bonus) but being known for irrelevant reasons and having so many kids stalking you just doesn't sound like something I would want to be part of.

Yes I have no idea who is on TGLC or Orange but I really like their team. So I too don't know how people know each or several members of a team.
I personally think it's about "looks". If you're pretty, skinny, good at what you do, and you're on a idolized team. BAM you're qualified to be the next cheerleb. It mean I may be wrong. But, I noticed that's how that goes.

Comments:
"OMG you're so pretty why can I be you".

That's my 1 issue with cheerlebs. It makes other hard working girls and not so much guys but girls feel bad they aren't good enough.

I personally think it's about "looks". If you're pretty, skinny, good at what you do, and you're on a idolized team. BAM you're qualified to be the next cheerleb. It mean I may be wrong. But, I noticed that's how that goes.

With the expansion of social media that's exactly how it goes. It also helps to post a lot of selfies.

With the expansion of social media that's exactly how it goes. It also helps to post a lot of selfies.

My one disclaimer though is that some do have some amazing skills and do represent themselves well. But, all at the same rate i just feel half and half about this whole "cheerleb" thing.

Back