Tips For 360's

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 7, 2011
Does anyone have any tips for teaching 360's? Every year my squad has trouble learning and perfecting them. We were lucky to have 2 by Nationals last year, but we want to have them in our routine again this year (and of course the 2 that we has last year were senior flyers :confused:). So if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know! :)

:) what did you need help with?
hitting? or just getting it off the ground and spinning above your head?

This is something I notice a lot that can kill a 360. The fliers are actually trying too hard. Theyre twisting their shoulders so hard they're pulling themselves out of the stunt or can't stop spinning and fall. They need to let the bases do the work. All it takes is a look over the shoulders, you don't have to pull like you do in a single down.

My girls are working them now, and I've noticed my bases are thinking about it too much. The secondary keeps trying somhard tongrab the flyers foot after the 360 is complete, she's literally pulling the flyer out of the air. I found today that if I stood behind her and guided her hands a few times, she got more used to where her hands needed to be and now they hit it fine!

as a main base, my coach always told me to execute it like I was weightlifting. get the flyer to about eye level before you stand all the way up.

Thanks for all the tips! Usually the hardest part for them is getting it all the way to the top and spinning the complete 360. We are missing 2 girls this week (from 2 different groups, of course), so we will start working on them again next week. HOPEFULLY it will be an easier process than it has been in the past!

hey,
if it helps, have them do a regular show and go with their flyer with the twisting grib but don't twist! just so they drive it through there chest and reach it all the way up! Then when they actually finish the wrist spin then they know when to do it (at the top lol). Only problem with this drill is if you do it alot then the bases wrists will hurt! But it also teches the flyer to wait and remind her not to try so hard. Alot of flyers through their shoulders and lead with their head (I call it fishing!). Just make sure they rotate with their hips and whole body at the same time and watch for their bases when they come back around. But make sure their chest stays up when they come back down in the squish. Tell them to kinda look down their nose to see where there bases are instead of dropping their whole head and chest! Hope this helps:)

^^^ good idea.
i think the downfall to most problems with full ups.. is the group isnt trying hard enough. every one needs to explode up. do some conditioning.. where you do show n go after show n go without a backspot.. this teaches the flier to really push off her bases and for the bases to just get the feel of pushing all the way up.
tell the main to extend fully, then flick her wrist at the top as hard as she can. and don't start spinning the flier before then.
tell the secondary to also extendfully, and watch the foot untill it comes all the way around.. don't throw the foot towards the main... because that could be disasterious. just push it up there.
tell the backspot to give it all she's got.. like everything, a lot of power from the butt, or ankles.. whichever she prefers.
and the flier needs to squeeze everything. expecially her ankles and legs together and don't force the spin.

most important i think though is the power.
also, practice makes perfect. it took me almost a year before i started hitting them constantly.. you really have to be aware of your body (as the main) be patient and don't give up on them.

Back