Tips For New Base

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
I searched the forum, but didn't see any threads specifically for secondary bases. I just became a secondary base. I was wondering if anyone had any drills/workouts/etc because I'm one of the weakest girls on the team, and I'm afraid I'm going to give out in a stunt. That actually happened to me the second day I started basing. The flyer was fine, but I still felt bad. Any tips?

Weak or strong, basing is all about using your legs! If you try to rely on your arms or back to pull a stunt up, it's going to crumble once you do anything harder than a prep. Make sure that your arms get locked out and squeezed by your temples in extended stunts (Never bend your arms in an extended stunt....if you need to stabilize or adjust then bend your knees but keep the arms locked out). Make sure that you and your main base are so close that you are touching for extended one leg stunts (NCA and UCA teach different ways to secondary, so I'm not sure which way your team is using, but UCA would be chest to chest, NCA would be right shoulder in between the main base's chest) and are not stepping back away from the stunt as you try and go up. The main base and back spot should have a good chunk of the weight, and you are there to stabilize and help give the flyer a more solid foundation for her to stand on realistically, so even if you are a 90 pound willow as long as you are locked out and right up on your main base using your legs during dips to get up/down then you will be able to do it.

Leg conditioning (squats, lunges, etc.) can help a good deal, as well as arm toning (to help you lock out, squeeze your shoulders up, and have your arms up in stunts for extended periods of time). I've always found that core conditioning helps all aspects of cheer, also (abs, etc) if you've got the time.

Really watch how the other secondary bases on your team stand when they have a stunt up. There are different ways to teach secondary so you will have to watch and learn basically. What works best for me is to pretend I am the Eiffel Tower (standing straight up, chest nearly squared to the front, arms completely over my head) and my flyer is the flag on top. My right leg is basically almost in between my main base's legs. Again, most people don't do it like that but that is what works for me. Make sure almost 100% of your flyer's weight is in your legs, NOT YOUR BACK. You can really really really hurt your back, even permanently if you have bad lifting technique! A secondary base can't be timid. Never be afraid to step right under the stunt, and if you're doing more elite tricks, be ready to take a bit of a beating. No pain no gain!! Good luck!

The above posts offer very good technique guidelines. Here is a simple drill that will improve your strength and stamina. I'd perform this drill as part of a full conditioning program, but if you can't do that this is a great drill to start with to improve your strength. I recommend a kettlebell but a dumbell will work also. I would this for 3 sets of ten reps on each arm. Select a weight were the last two reps are a challenge to complete. Good luck in your new role. Let me know if I can help. This video isn't me but it's a simple demo.
The Clean and Press
Step 1
Stand over the kettlebell with you feet placed slightly wider than shoulder width apart. Make sure the kettlebell is centered between your legs.
Step 2
Squat down slowly as you keep your upper back straight and a “C” curve in your lower back (lumbar spine). Grab the handle of the weight with one hand and allow your other arm to rest towards your side in a neutral position.
Step 3
Stand up in the motion of a dead lift, being sure to keep your back straight. Swing the weight up towards your shoulder and allow it to turn so the ball of the weight swings around your hand and comes to rest on the top of your forearm. Bend your elbow completely, ending with your knuckles next to your outer chest and shoulder. As you clean the kettlebell, dip into the swing so your body lowers in order to catch the kettlebell in the up position.
Step 4
Straighten up into a standing position. Dip down again and push back up with your glutes, hamstrings and thighs. Press the kettlebell up to the sky as you push up. Get the weight to a fully raised position with your elbow locked. Keep it there for 1 second.
Step 5
Lower the kettlebell back to the up position that you started the press from. Dip down as you lower the weight so you’re in a lowered position when you catch the weight by your shoulder. Then, stand up straight.
Step 6
Lower the weight to the floor, again paying attention so that your back remains straight with an inward curve in your lower back.

NEVER drop a flyer. ask if you have any questions. everyone else was very good at helping. i found that right shoulder to chest works waayyyyyy better than chest to chest, just make sure you have a tight grip and always under her. trust is big with stunting. let her hit the floor once, she wont trust you that much and cant do her best.

Back