Toe Touch Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 16, 2020
Hi everyone, I am a first year cheerleader for my high school and I am having trouble with my jumps. My posture is hunched and I don’t hit a full straddle in the air. I’m a competitive dancer so my flexibility is pretty good, I have all my splits down so I don’t think it’s a flexibility problem. My abs and core strength are average, could use some work, but I think the biggest problem is leg strength. I never really focused on leg strength so if any of you have any jump exercises (mostly focused on legs) please let me know!

-Jump squats
-Switch lunges
-Kicks on both sides and both legs foward(fast AND slow)
-Leg lifts in a straddle and pike position
-T-jumps(focus on motions here!!)

I was center jumps in middle school and there were a few things that I think really helped with my toe touches:

1. Leg lifts with ankle weights. I don't really see people use these anymore, but my mum had some from the 80's and they were really helpful for me!
2. As mentioned above, kicks on both sides. I liked to watch the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders for inspiration!
3. Also mentioned above, leg lifts in a straddle position. These can be really painful but they are great for building muscle!
4. Just repeatedly doing toe touches. I would practice on the floor in front of a mirror and critique myself over and over again. I also worked on the trampoline a lot.

Hope this helps!

Back