All-Star Tough Times Paying For Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Obviously you can't do this now, but does it snow a lot where you live? Because next winter you could offer to shovel snow off your neighbours driveways and charge them.

Babysitting is always a good idea, try to make some connections with the kids and parents of the younger teams at your gym. Also, is there a subject that you are particularly good at? You could think about tutoring, too.

Have you talked to your gym about this? A LOT of gyms I know do this (actually most of the ones I know do it). Maybe you could get it started for your gym? Famous is a brand new gym, and we're already booked for concerts all summer (I think about 20 concerts?) and a few races as well. We also have a way to work providing security services for a security company (our first assignment was directing traffic/parking at the auditions for the TV show X Factor!). Talk to your gym owner and see if they have anyone else that's interested in getting it started.

I would have no idea how to start something like this....
I know the soccer clubs work at every major venue in the DFW area but I'm sure there is room for other groups. I don't think any of the cheer gyms out here do fundraising...don't know why...it would increase participation immensely!

Try getting a summer job. I wanted to help my parents pay for cheer so I just got a job and if I did my math correctly I should be able to pay for about half of my season.

money is one of the reasons i'm not going to cheer this year. it is alot and compared to the other activity i enjoy, going to concerts. concerts are much cheaper than cheerleading.

If you can't make enough money to cheer full year definitely consider half year! I know your gym has a strong program all around so half year would be great also.. and cheaper!

I would love to see more gyms do what soccer teams do and that is have parents work concession stands at local venues and then a portion of the money made goes into your child's cheer account. My youngest's club soccer team offered that and I paid for all of her expenses by working at Dallas Cowboys Stadium and Texas Rangers ballfield. Our old gym in AZ also had a agreement with ASU, we would work as ushers or in concessions, some families paid for their whole season that way. Or at least offer some kind of fundraising.....

Our gym does a TON of this, we basically own the concessions for the arena and baseball stadium around here. Between that and my refereeing soccer, we're going to be able to cover roughly 50% of our gym fees this season. Cool bonus is that we've gotten to know a lot of the other veteran parents through working these games.

We also have a scrip program with is great for things that we already buy, like gas and grocery store gift cards. And of course there's the paper fundraisers as well.

Unfortunately this year we had to leave allstar cheer for school cheer only. After 8 years its a hard resolution to make, especially since it's my daughter's senior year. People talk about the $4,000 plus per year tuition and comp fees. That's only the beginning if you're on a higher ranked level 5 team. Then there's all the traveling to out of state comps - our gym did 4 last year, only one of which was driving distance! And this past year she did it all without my accompaniment just so she could continue. But with the economy the way it is now at some point you get tapped out. I wish allstar cheer could implement some of the fundraising that schools do. For instance the booster club just made $2500 on a 4-hour car wash which the girls worked. Selling "community cards" and things like that are hard, especially if you live in a smallish community where all your friends are cheering or doing scouts or something. I buy from my neighbor's boy scout so she will buy a car wash ticket. Kinda evens out if ya know what I mean. Gas and grocery scrip things work but you'd have to get a LOT of people using your account for it to add up...

Wish everyone the best of luck this year! We'll be watching and cheering and hopefully at some of the same comps with our school:)

I unfortunately have had to deal with this the past two years. My dad lost his job and my parents are going through a divorce and money for cheer was no where near possible... but i've been saving all my money from birthdays, holidays, graduation etc and have come up with quite a lot here lately. I sell bows, and I think i'm going to get hired at a local sports bar as a hostess. I will do anything to cheer, I miss it soo much. Our house is also up for sale, because the economy being soo horrible and we just can't afford it anymore... its been on the housing market for about a year and a half with noo luck. But we got a contract on it a few days ago. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm getting really excited, because once we do sell it I think my family will be able to be above water again. :) that was the best graduation present I could have gotten because now I think i'm going to be able to cheer :) :) :)

Find corporate sponsors :) People are often amazed how many companies will give out sponsorship money. If your gym has a 501(c)(3) number, ask them if they have a letter for potential sponsors.

I would love to see more gyms do what soccer teams do and that is have parents work concession stands at local venues and then a portion of the money made goes into your child's cheer account. My youngest's club soccer team offered that and I paid for all of her expenses by working at Dallas Cowboys Stadium and Texas Rangers ballfield. Our old gym in AZ also had a agreement with ASU, we would work as ushers or in concessions, some families paid for their whole season that way. Or at least offer some kind of fundraising.....

My gym has two concession stands: one at the minor league baseball stadium and one at the Carrier Dome on the Syracuse University campus. I worked there a lot. I would say if this is a possibility for you (or anyone reading this) then do it as much as you can. During the last few years of my cheer career, I knew if I wanted to cheer, I needed to help out my parents with the cost. I would sign up to work the events I could and my parents would rop me off to work. I fundraised more than 3/4 of the cost of me cheering for my senior year there. My parents paid less than $500 my last year. If your gym doesnt have a concession stand, I would suggest talking to the owner about getting one. It has helped out so many parents in my gym and it's a great way to get to know the other people in your gym way better :)

@foundmyway2SC - I wish you the best of luck with your mission. If all else fails, maybe you could make a deal with your parents that if they work overtime to pay for cheer, you'll do the laundry, clean, and cook dinner. That way after working for so long, they can come home and relax and you'll get to cheer... or maybe just take privates/tumbling classes. :)

Back