Transferring My Bhs Onto The Ground?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 27, 2013
So I've had my BHS on the trampoline basically perfect for about 4-5 months, and the other day I decided to do it on the ground... I live on a hill, so I decided to try it on a slope so it would be kind of like a cheese mat. My mom was watching and she said I went over really good, but I didn't land on my feet, I landed on my knees/belly. Apparently I didn't lock my arms good enough.. I was just wanting some tips for executing a BHS on the ground ! Thanks.

And ps. I used to go to a gym and my coach told me I need to work on snapping my legs down and executing it faster.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

The problem with trampolines is that you are probably using the spring way more than you think. At ACE, we would put part of the cheer floor on the tramp to lessen that spring. It helps you transition to a spring floor.

I don't recommend tumbling on the ground.

The Fierce Board App! || If you're not on Fierce Board, I question your commitment.

Thanks. I know you don't recommend it but I cheer and everyone on my team has a BHS but me. I really want this skill, so advice would help.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you should really be doing this at a cheerleading or gymnastics facility with a qualified spotter to help bridge the gap between the trampoline to the floor. The trampoline can allow for flaws in technique that when transferred to the floor result in damages ranging from minor aches and pains to broken bones and serious injury. From your description, it sounds as if you don't have proper blocking so your arms are caving and additionally need work to strengthen the snap down.

What you CAN DO at home is practice drills such as the BHS drills on fortheloveoftumbling.com however! The more conditioned you are (especially your core), the easier it will be to learn and execute tumbling skills. Leave the backhandspring throwing for spotted sessions with a tumbling coach ;) Trust me. It's a million times better to get a BHS with proper technique through certified coaching .......even if it takes a bit longer.....rather than try and teach yourself with improper technique. It makes everything so much harder in the long run, as you can't build off of that skill plus continuous performance of skills with improper technique often result in long term injuries.

Thanks. I know you don't recommend it but I cheer and everyone on my team has a BHS but me. I really want this skill, so advice would help.

What I really meant is that I don't recommend tumbling on the ground when you can't tumble safely. You need a coach/spotter to help you with this transition.

And I gave you advice.

The Fierce Board App! || If you're not on Fierce Board, I question your commitment.

I'd go to a cheese mat next, then either a crash mat or the floor. The mat will take some of your push off the floor, but I found it easier to try on my own cos the ground hurt less if I didn't make it. It also made me push a lot harder to get over, giving you more strength in your legs. Please make sure you have a coach to spot you. Trampolines give you tons of power, so you don't really have to work to get over. Don't forget to keep strengthening your core, legs and shoulders to give you the strength and power that you lose in moving from the tramp to the floor

What I really meant is that I don't recommend tumbling on the ground when you can't tumble safely. You need a coach/spotter to help you with this transition.

And I gave you advice.

I'm sorry that I may have sounded rude. And my mom has spotted me. Like I said, I have the strength to hold myself up and get over with out hitting my head or getting hurt, I just need advice on getting the landing.

I'm probably going to go back to a gym in August. It's just that I'm so close to getting it.

The negatives of "chunking it" at home far outweigh the positives. What experienced people are recommending to you is that you get off the trampoline and get in a gym where educated professionals can help you. If you are truly that close one or two days in a gym can help a lot! Please be safe bc one "slip" or landing wrong could set you back months of progress.

try putting a piece of mat over the trampoline so you won't be able to use much spring. Trying it on the slanted ground isn't a bad idea but if you can get your mom to spot you or something that'd be best...nothing sets you back like an injury.
When you're able to get back into the gym try a tumble track (less springy trampoline alternative) & wedge mats. Once you're good on your own on those try it with a spot from a coach on the regular floor. Sounds like you've got most of the technique down you just need more repetition!
Good Luck!!

Back