Try Outs And Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 11, 2012
I'm curious how other gyms run try outs.
1. Is there a fee?
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels?
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2?
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice?

1. Is there a fee? Yes, it's $25-$50 in our area
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? We have 9 teams--Mini 2, Youth 2, Allstar Prep level 2, Youth 3, Senior 3, Junior 4, Senior 4, Junior Restricted 5, Senior 5
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? Everyone is placed on age and level appropriate teams. No one crosses over unless we have an injury mid-season and need a fill in.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? All of our teams practice 2 days a week for 2 hours and have one tumbling block for 2 hours. During comp season, teams may practice more than 2 days per week.

Last edited:
We came after tryouts last season, so I'm going off of the information packet and what I have observed this year.
1. Is there a fee? Yes, $35
We are a D1 gym with 10 teams; Tiny Prep Level 1, Tiny Level 1, Mini Level 1, Youth Level 1, Youth Level 2, Sr. Level 2, Sr. Level 3, Sr. Level 4, Sr. Level 4 Co-Ed, and Sr. Level 5 Large Co-Ed (all of our teams are in the "large category"
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2?
From what I have observed, we do not have crossovers unless of injury or to fill a spot. We have a level 4 girl cross to the co-ed level 4, and I think we have two level 2 youth fliers cross to level 2 sr. to fly as well. Our gym is all about perfection before progression, so you don't really see many seven year olds with a bhs. And even if they do, that does not mean they are ready for a level 2 team stunting/jumps wise. Our owner is very much about age/level appropriate and not rushing skills.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice?
My daughter is 6 (will be 7 in April) and is on the tiny team. Our tiny prep and tiny all-star only practice one day a week, for an hour and 15 minutes. All other teams practice two times a week. Minis two times for an hour and 15 minutes and it looks like the rest range from 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. We also have one tumbling class a week; tinys is an hour long and I'm not sure about the others.

1. Is there a fee? Yes. We have "open workouts" where you pay $100 and come to current team practices for April in their appropriate level and age group. Our placement fee is like $25 or 30 I think and then to start practicing you have to pay a $250 deposit (practice wear, insurance, etc).

2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? We have approximately 200 athletes. Tiny Prep 1, Mini Prep 1, Junior Prep 1, Mini 1, Youth 3, Junior 1, Junior 2, Senior 1, Senior 2, Senior Coed 3, Senior 4, and Senior 5.

3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? Mini aged athletes are only allowed to be on mini's or youth. Our bottom age for Junior's is 9 and our youngest senior aged athletes this year are 11 (last year I believe we had 10 year olds). After these age groups, then they are placed in to their level appropriate groups. There are only a few junior aged athletes on the Senior 1 and Senior 2 team.

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? I am a coach for Mini 1 and Junior 1. Levels 1-4 practice 2x a week. Mini's practice 3 hours/wk, Youth 4 hrs/wk, juniors and seniors 5 hrs/wk.

@JocelynsMama1 I believe there is a similar thread with some kf the info you are asking about that may help you as well.

1. Is there a fee?
Yes, cp paid $300 and that include practice wear among other items.

Large program with multiple locations and teams at all levels but not necessarily all age groups.

Primary attempt at placement is age and skill appropriate based on what you have at evaluations. Younger kids can be moved to older teams if skills allow for it. No athlete would be placed on a team they are not age eligible for. Crossing over is not required.

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? Senior L5 and practice is normally 2 days a week for about 5-6 hrs.

**we can be friends if you like dogs**

1. Is there a fee?
Yes- I don't remember what it was though. Lol it was a long time and a lot of other fees ago
I want to say at our location maybe 250? We have tiny 1, a large youth 2, small youth 3, large youth 5, large jr restricted 5, large jr coed 5, large Sr coed 3, large Sr coed 4, two large Sr 5s and a large Sr coed 5.
They definitely stay on an age appropriate team but may also cross up
She is 10 and a y3/y5 crossover and practices 1 day per week per team, 2 hours each practice.

1. Is there a fee? Yes, $40 for returning athletes and I think $60 for new, can't remember.

Large gym that just added a second location this year. 17 at original gym and 4 at new, ranging from tiny prep 1 to IOC 6.

Idk a whole lot about this yet. Generally I think they try to put athletes on an age and level appropriate teams, not hard being a large program. I know of a few crossovers but I think it's mainly an as needed thing.

Mine is 5 and on tiny prep 1. She practices 1.75 hours a week with a 1 hour tumbling class, not required.
This is the general schedule for prep, AS I think is 2 2 hour practices and a required 1 hour tumbling class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

at our gym

1. Yes, fee is $35 to try out, $150 if you want the month of clinics 2x a week before tryouts
2. A D2 gym with T1, Y1, Y2, J3, S2, S3, and SR5 this year.
3. Generally they try not to, but because we are a small gym they sometimes have to. This year kids with all their level 2 skills AND some stunting experience generally went Y2, and those with beginning level 2 skills(just a standing BHS or ROBHS that wasn't comp ready) or who were brand new to cheer went on Y1. There were a couple of new ones on Y2, but they had been coming into the gym for a while working technique before tryouts.
4. 12 year old in her last year of Y2. Two 2 hour practices per week, a tumbling class, and 2 30 min private lessons a week. That is pretty typical of athletes in our gym. Flyers add a flyer class and most do 1 30 min private rather than 2.

1. Is there a fee? Yes $65 for returning athletes $85 for new athletes $55 for separate flyer tryouts

2. How large is your cheer gym? Large How many teams are there and what levels? 33 teams with at least one at every skill level and at least one at every age group

3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? Athletes are placed on age appropriate/skill appropriate teams. Crossovers are generally used due to illness/injury. For your example, that athlete would most likely be placed on a mini or youth level 1. He/she would need to have all required standing and running level 2 tumbling to be placed on level 2.

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? 11 year old on a level 3 team. Practice is twice a week for 2 hours each time. Once comp season starts, it is not unusual to add Saturday practices.

1. There is a tryout fee, I believe it's $35 for new members. And then May's tuition which is practice in "color" (level) groups. This is what we have done in the past, I believe it is changing this year.

2. We were D1 this year, with 8 teams. M1, Y2, J1, J2, J3, J4, S4.2, SR5. Not sure of exact numbers but it was over 125.

4.2 and R5 are coed.

3. In the past it depended on the kid. Sometimes we needed a top girl or a base on a team that didn't have all their level appropriate tumbling skills, in that case, we would have them crossover from their level appropriate team to another team where we also needed their tumbling skills. Crossing over is never required and is looked at on a kid by kid basis. How teams are made up is also changing for this coming season.

4. I'm not a parent, I'm a coach.

-Mini 1 practices 4 hours a week
-Y2/J2/J3/J4 practice 5 hours a week
-J1 regular season team practices 5 hours a week but the summit team (some athletes couldn't afford it and since the summit wasn't a goal at the start of the season, we brought in alternates to replace a few athletes for the summit) practices an extra 2 hours so 7 hours total
-R5 practices 7 hours a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Is there a fee?

Yes, our gym has a try-out fee; it's normally equal to the registration for the year. If you make the team and stay, you don't pay the yearly registration fee again. If you leave, the gym keeps the money.

Our gym is fairly big, we normally have 2 Tiny Team's and it goes up from there. This year I want to say there were 10 or 11 total.

TBH, I'm not 100% sure but just from observation the child would be on M1. Crossovers are used in our gym, but not in any quantity. The biggest use of cross over is from the junior's and seniors and whether or not they want to be on a travel team or not. The gym has 2 or 3 teams that go out of state multiple times, the rest of the gym stays within our state.

My CP's cheer age is 6 (7), she is on a M1 and they practice 3 hours a week with the occasional extra practice.

1. Is there a fee? Not positive, but I don't think so. If there is, it is minimal.
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? We have 19 teams -2 half year, Tiny Prep 1, Tiny 1, mini 1, mini 2, youth 1, youth 2, youth 3, junior 2, junior 3, junior 4, senior 1, senior 2, senior 3, senior 4, senior 4.2, senior restricted 5, and senior coed 5. Possibly adding more for next season.
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? They crossover when it is necessary, but it is definitely not something they openly seek out to do.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? Youth 1 (aging out this year). Squad practice twice a week for 2 hours a day. One hour of tumbling each week.

1. Is there a fee?

Yes, our gym has a try-out fee; it's normally equal to the registration for the year. If you make the team and stay, you don't pay the yearly registration fee again. If you leave, the gym keeps the money.

Our gym is fairly big, we normally have 2 Tiny Team's and it goes up from there. This year I want to say there were 10 or 11 total.

TBH, I'm not 100% sure but just from observation the child would be on M1. Crossovers are used in our gym, but not in any quantity. The biggest use of cross over is from the junior's and seniors and whether or not they want to be on a travel team or not. The gym has 2 or 3 teams that go out of state multiple times, the rest of the gym stays within our state.

My CP's cheer age is 6 (7), she is on a M1 and they practice 3 hours a week with the occasional extra practice.
Shimmied you just for the pink font. ;)

1. Is there a fee? There is a tryout fee and a separate registration fee. The tryout fee was $40 last year- I am not sure I paid attention to this year's email to know if it is the same or increasing this year. I believe the registration fee remains $250
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? Our current gym is a nice size- I guess medium sized. There are 2 half year teams, 2 quarter year teams, 1 full year non travel, and I think 18 full year travel teams. We have 4 tiny teams and go up from there. There are also 6 or 7 dance teams and a cheer special needs and a dance special needs.
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? The main full tiny team has robhs and bhs series minimum despite not being able to use it in a routine. Our mini team has minimum through tuck- most have through layout 2 have fulls. They place first by age, and then if there are levels within your age level, by level (so for youth, if you are youth aged you will be placed on a 2,3 or next year 4). Flyers are the only exceptions to the age placement. They will be placed where needed/skill first (as long as they meet the minimum ages). Typically this means our mini flyers are tiny age, youth flyers are mini age, etc.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? My daughter is 11. She is new to the gym this year (our gym closed at the end of last season). She is level 3 this year again(which as you can see from the above explanation means she is a flyer- she weighs 55 pounds) and tumbles solid level 4 working lvl 5 skills (so some good , some wonky). There is no rush to me. I have told anyone who listens she would be happy for another year on lvl 3 (I am not sure they care what parents think, but I mention it anyway). She loves cheer...she says she would like to continue until she graduates. If there is some rush to higher level teams what will be left to carry her through to the end of her career? What will there be to accomplish? She is happy, so I am happy.
Her current practice schedule is 3 times per week for 2 hours each. One of those sessions is purely tumble. They also have an additional tumble class included in their tuition which she tries to catch weekly (it is 1 hour, and after practice). As a flyer she takes a stretch type class. She would like to take a jump class but the times don't work for us.

1. Is there a fee? Yes, if I remember correctly, you pay the yearly registration and 1st month fee at try outs.
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? Not sure number of athletes- we have 16 teams.
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? If she was completely solid as a level 2- including all standing, running, stunting, jumps, etc I think they would age her up to keep her on two if needed, but they would have to be solid- working on level 3 skills, otherwise she would do mini or youth 1.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? cp is 9, youth 1- team practice is two, 2 hour practices plus an additional 2 hours during comp season.

Back