Tryout Outfit/advice For Very Casual, New Sideline College Cheer Team.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 30, 2018
Hi!
I am new to the forum and have decided to try out for my college cheer team. The college is a very small, rural community college which is rebranding (as in dropped the "community" from the college name, changed the school colors and added basketball and cheer last fall).

The cheer team from last year began with 9 members who did not perform stunts, tumbling, or jumps, and any video I can find of them is about 4 of the team members standing on the sideline ruffling their poms. I have been contacting the director since January in an attempt to get info regarding the 2018-2019 tryouts, and all they said was they were attempting to recruit from local schools and would call me when they knew something.

Fall term begins the first week of August and there has been nothing posted, so I have no idea what to expect. I am used to dance and took tumbling for a short time, so I am going to work on getting my bhs and performing better jumps.

I have looked at what few pictures I could find of the team, and their shoes and use of bows is inconsistent, so I don't know what shoes to invest in or if I should wear a bow for tryouts, or what the etiquette is for college level bow placement (I've only seen them in one picture wearing a bow, and they all wore different types of shoes and socks, with traditional style, cheaper uniforms from Champion.)

I have wanted to be a cheerleader since I was a little girl but my parents said no, so I did dance and twirling to fill the void. This team seems unorganized, but I would love to tryout and am doing whatever I can to prepare myself.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give.

T-Shirt, Shorts, Socks, Tennis Shoes will be all you need for a tryout or first practice. Don't sweat bows or team style yet, that's on the coach to determine too.

Give them time, if sports were year 1 last year, it will be disorganized for sure. The upside is that you will get to help build something really awesome with some good friends you make/meet.

Skill wise, hit some open gyms or look for privates with tumbling instructors and get to work.

Thank you so much, ScottyB!

I don't mind the disorganization; I just want to be as prepared as possible and really want to see the team grow and succeed.

What are some good cheer shoes with support for jumps and tumbling? (I have a bad knee and right now just have my trusty old Asics from dance.)

It has been a while since I was in tumbling, but I will begin private instruction this week to get back to where I was and build from there.

Again, thank you so much for your reply!

Thank you so much, ScottyB!

I don't mind the disorganization; I just want to be as prepared as possible and really want to see the team grow and succeed.

What are some good cheer shoes with support for jumps and tumbling? (I have a bad knee and right now just have my trusty old Asics from dance.)

It has been a while since I was in tumbling, but I will begin private instruction this week to get back to where I was and build from there.

Again, thank you so much for your reply!
No prob! I would say to go with a Varsity Edge, that is my recommended all around shoe right now

Varsity Edge Cheer Shoes | Varsity Cheerleading Shoes

Hi!
I am new to the forum and have decided to try out for my college cheer team. The college is a very small, rural community college which is rebranding (as in dropped the "community" from the college name, changed the school colors and added basketball and cheer last fall).

The cheer team from last year began with 9 members who did not perform stunts, tumbling, or jumps, and any video I can find of them is about 4 of the team members standing on the sideline ruffling their poms. I have been contacting the director since January in an attempt to get info regarding the 2018-2019 tryouts, and all they said was they were attempting to recruit from local schools and would call me when they knew something.

Fall term begins the first week of August and there has been nothing posted, so I have no idea what to expect. I am used to dance and took tumbling for a short time, so I am going to work on getting my bhs and performing better jumps.

I have looked at what few pictures I could find of the team, and their shoes and use of bows is inconsistent, so I don't know what shoes to invest in or if I should wear a bow for tryouts, or what the etiquette is for college level bow placement (I've only seen them in one picture wearing a bow, and they all wore different types of shoes and socks, with traditional style, cheaper uniforms from Champion.)

I have wanted to be a cheerleader since I was a little girl but my parents said no, so I did dance and twirling to fill the void. This team seems unorganized, but I would love to tryout and am doing whatever I can to prepare myself.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give.

My college cheer coach posted a guide for how to dress at tryouts back in Spring, but a good rule is to look gameday ready! For my team that was red lips, false eyelashes, plain white bow, and the black sports bras and black spandex. If your team is more casual, there’s nothing wrong with going a little overboard! It’ll look more professional if you show up with a bow, clean cheer shoes (I reccomend Nfinity Vengeance or Varsity Last Pass), makeup done, hair curled if that’s how they wear it to games, etc. If you’re still not sure, find the insta of one of the girls on the team and DM them! Don’t be shy about it. If a girl trying out reached out to me I wouldn’t mind answering at all. Let me know if you have any questions!

Back