All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wouldn't be too hung up on team placement per se, but I have run into situations where I'd be reluctant to sign a contract without knowing ahead of time if my children were placed on teams that had practice times I could arrange transportation for.

I can see transportation being an issue but I took it as if they weren't happy with placement they'd leave.

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
Thank you! I think there are about 5 more great white vets on the team so I'm super excited to have an amazing year!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

You're going to be hard to beat if you've got Great White vets plus Grey Reefs coming back too. I can't wait to see what you guys do this year

My CP has been at the same gym for 4 years. She tried out the end of April, hoping a level 4 would make. It didn't, however, and she was placed on a J3 for what would be the third year. (Started as a M1, J2, J3, J3). As much as she loves her gym and her team, she was really hoping for a level 4 so she could use the skills she has worked so hard to get (she has a full, whip, specialty passes, standing tuck, standing 3 to full and will soon start working on her double and standing full according to her tumbling coach) Her dream gym is a mega gym in Dallas area which is 2.5 hours away. So we made a compromise with her and her current gym and decided to let her tryout at dream gym, if she makes a 4 she can go there and she understands the time/drive commitment for both of us. If she makes a level 3 at dream gym, then we will stay at the gym we have been at for one more year. She is used to a Jr team, so a J4 is ideally what she wants...but a Y4 (as long as she can fly) will make her just as happy. Honestly, I'm just ready for tryouts to be over and know the results. I'm so excited for and proud of her for chasing her dreams. I know many will think I've lost my mind for driving her so far. But I've never seen a kid work so hard and be so passionate so I will support her as long as she loves it.

Yes and No, I don't have kids but I know my parents carted my butt to 3 practices, and 3 games per week for hockey, and baseball and tournaments hours a way. However you can look at it multiple ways sometimes a dream gym is the best stepping stone to get into bigger college programs like University of Kentucky and stuff. I've never done the AllStar route. I may consider it after college on an Open 4.2 in Canada where I can pre-dominantly just stunt.

I think the workout groups could be very beneficial, especially for gyms that have multiple teams that are the same level. If you are planning on fielding a small senior 5, medium senior 5, small coed 5 and a large coed 5 it might be useful to see all the athletes as a group so the talent can be divided in a way that will be best for all the teams. I think it also helps build that "family" feeling among the athletes since they'll get to know each other before being separated.
that's great if you are keeping everyone, not so great if you intend to cut from that pool after you establish a "family". That is the biggest thing that sets people on edge about workout groups I think, the idea that this isn't permanent and you can be cut at any time.

I wouldn't be too hung up on team placement per se, but I have run into situations where I'd be reluctant to sign a contract without knowing ahead of time if my children were placed on teams that had practice times I could arrange transportation for.
Or getting a team at all. As one PP said, kids are sometimes cut outright from these workout groups and sent to prep. I wouldn't be happy if I signed up and paid deposits for a full season and ended up sent to prep a month or 2 after other gyms in the area had set their teams.

Waiting for the call is pure torture!! Didn't happen yesterday. Praying it happens today, but could be as late as 8:55 pm on Thursday!! She started tryouts on the 4th of May...that seems like a lifetime ago, lol. But...the anticipation and excitement have certainly had time to kick into overdrive!!

Waiting for the call is pure torture!! Didn't happen yesterday. Praying it happens today, but could be as late as 8:55 pm on Thursday!! She started tryouts on the 4th of May...that seems like a lifetime ago, lol. But...the anticipation and excitement have certainly had time to kick into overdrive!!
We are in the same predicament!! I am going to start drinking at work. I am already nervous enough and then my daughter is freaking out. She is done with her freshman year at college so is home all day freaking out, haha.

A coach friend of mine does calls with school cheer.

Some of them are as late as 10 pm on the last day of the window (due to time constraints.)

Crazy.

Back