All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A teacher in my building once directed me to a mom ranting on FB after her daughter did not make one of the HS teams. This was after I told her flat out at the info meeting that girls with no/low level tumbling (daughter was very new to stunting and had a BHS. Would have been better fit for JV but tried out for Varsity anyway) generally have a harder time making it.

I don't have that phone anymore to post the screenshots (nor would I want to put her name out there) but it was basically "I love my baby girl so much! Too bad that the entire tryout process is completely rigged and the coaching staff is clueless!" Included comments to her co-signing friend's comments such "Haha. She is a joke! She only lets her friend's kids on the team!" (sidenote: I do not have friends with kids old enough to cheer for me. HOW.)

I never let on to this woman (who lives in the area and sees us from time to time) that her post was public and I saw it.

Irony: She signed her YOUNGER (elementary aged) DAUGHTERS up for our youth camp that same summer.

I never understood why. You know, with me/us being so clueless and all.

My favorite are the excuses

"My baby sunshine would have made Varsity if they didn't her stunting skills so badly on JV."
or
"My superstar only made level 2 instead of 5 because she has to attend marching dance band comedy student council club camp during Worlds."
or
"Too bad my princess popkin pie cut her pinkie throwing double fulls last week. She could only do a backhand spring at tryouts but she'll be on Level 5 by August!"

My favorite are the excuses

"My baby sunshine would have made Varsity if they didn't her stunting skills so badly on JV."
or
"My superstar only made level 2 instead of 5 because she has to attend marching dance band comedy student council club camp during Worlds."
or
"Too bad my princess popkin pie cut her pinkie throwing double fulls last week. She could only do a backhand spring at tryouts but she'll be on Level 5 by August!"

I've overheard kids doing the "I would have cheered this year but I wanted to play volleyball/soccer/etc. instead. Cheer is so lame now." thing.

...but they omit the part of the story in which they tried out, didn't make it, and THEN decided to play soccer.

I've overheard kids doing the "I would have cheered this year but I wanted to play volleyball/soccer/etc. instead. Cheer is so lame now." thing.

...but they omit the part of the story in which they tried out, didn't make it, and THEN decided to play soccer.

Since all summer sports start on the same day, girls would come to our tryouts in the summer, realize that cheer was more than shaking poms-were playing volleyball by the end of tryout week.

Our bball team is a state contender and everyone wants to get some of the glamour of that so girls would come in for basketball tryouts, less competitive, but you still need a bhs for varsity, realize that basic sideline cheering was hard and were basketball managers by the end of the week.

I was at the gym yesterday when an athlete and her parent came inquiring about trying out. The athlete said she wanted to tryout for the 4.2 team. They ask her have you cheered before (yes), what level tumbling skills do you have (none). Coach said we'll schedule a tryout if you want but you can't be on 4.2 if you have no tumbling. Athlete: but I've been on 4.2 for the last 2 years. Coach: sorry but no.

I don't think she's coming back.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

As HighPonyFTW said, they do and most of the time just don't know when to stop.

My favorite though is when they forget, or just don't care, when they are al Facebook friends with the gym coaches or owners. [emoji15]
Diarrhea of the keyboard.

I was at the gym yesterday when an athlete and her parent came inquiring about trying out. The athlete said she wanted to tryout for the 4.2 team. They ask her have you cheered before (yes), what level tumbling skills do you have (none). Coach said we'll schedule a tryout if you want but you can't be on 4.2 if you have no tumbling. Athlete: but I've been on 4.2 for the last 2 years. Coach: sorry but no.

I don't think she's coming back.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I like that coach haha

Waiting for the call is pure torture!! Didn't happen yesterday. Praying it happens today, but could be as late as 8:55 pm on Thursday!! She started tryouts on the 4th of May...that seems like a lifetime ago, lol. But...the anticipation and excitement have certainly had time to kick into overdrive!!

Did you get an answer back?

@Beans100 jeez, they have until 8:55 tonight, assuming PST, so what's the rush in asking? Lol.

**Slip n Slide. Official sponsor of Worlds 2016**

It has been a crazy last couple of days!! So we finally got the call...and with the call came practice times. Living so far away from mega gym and my CP going to school, it would be physically impossible for us to make it to the weekday practice without checking her out of school every week. School said that would be a no go. So we let her do a private tryout at another gym in the same area (same drive time). Same caliber gym imo but not a mega. She rocked the tryout and made a coed r5!!! She is happy, we are happy, and the practice times work great for our commute. Whew, I'm glad tryouts are over and ready to get this new season underway!!

It has been a crazy last couple of days!! So we finally got the call...and with the call came practice times. Living so far away from mega gym and my CP going to school, it would be physically impossible for us to make it to the weekday practice without checking her out of school every week. School said that would be a no go. So we let her do a private tryout at another gym in the same area (same drive time). Same caliber gym imo but not a mega. She rocked the tryout and made a coed r5!!! She is happy, we are happy, and the practice times work great for our commute. Whew, I'm glad tryouts are over and ready to get this new season underway!!

Well that was an unexpected twist.

How far are you driving and what is difference in practice times? I'm not used to anything junior and up beginning prior to around 7.

Congrats to your cp! That's awesome!

Congrats to her! Are there other kids on the team her age as well so she can have some teammates to bond with?

Back