All-Star Tryouts And Financial Agreements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When my CPs tryouts, my decision to stay or not in not based solely on what team they are placed on. In fact, it places a small role in my decision. It mostly has to to with how large or small the team is and how qualified their new teammates are to be on that team. (If they are placed on a team full of low range tumblers, we're not interested.) in addition, if my CP gets a coach that is barely out of HS and is now coaching a level 3 team when she maxed out at level 3/4, we're not interested.

Gyms are evaluating the CPs' skills, but we are evaluating their choices of how they put together the teams, who will be their coaches, what days/times their practices will be at, how the schedule matches up with a sibling's new team, etc. Gyms want our financial and time commitment for a year. We deserve some time to make sure it is the right fit before commiting without being penalized. (It makes matters worse when the locals gyms run Tryouts over a three week span. The first one wants you commited for the year financially and practicing before 2/3 of the local teams have even held their Tryouts. It's maddening.)

Further, my son is in Kindergarten.

If I went to have him try out for Rec Football and they told me A $250 DEPOSIT ON THE SEASON was due, I'd ask to have some of whatever they were drinking when they came up with that.

He's subject to WALK OFF THE FIELD THE FIRST DAY IN TEARS BECAUSE "I WANT CUPCAKES." OR SOMETHING ELSE.

You'd be robbing me without a gun.

my cp's gym is $100 and last year another gym in our area was charging $500 up front before they would even issue a tryout number (I do not know their policy this year though) but honestly- I'll pay the $100 because I can't see myself bringing my cp anywhere else. They are simply the best in the area and have the best coaching, hands down.

Guess what? I am also interviewing you...sorry I wasted your time. This is not just your time to see whether an athlete is a good fit or not. It is a parent and athletes chance to see if this is the gym they want to be part of.
Absolutely. I do not disagree with that. But as a parent I have also done my homework before tryouts. I have gone to observe practices. I have spoken with the coaches at potential gym. If possible, cp has taken part in a tumbling class so she can get a feel for the place. Before tryouts. I don't think as a parent or athlete you can get a true feel for a place based solely on tryouts.
A gym is a business. They should want to put together the best teams possible based on who tries out. If Susie is trying out at 5 gyms and will only go to the highest level offered to her, I have no problem with gym owners charging her (and everyone else) a tryout fee. Especially since it has been mentioned that that fee is then rolled over as "athlete registration" or part of tuition in more than one post.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It seems that a few gyms around here are requiring a parent to sign a financial agreement when the child goes to team placements. One gym states that by trying out you agree to be placed on a team and if you decide not to continue on with the gym then you have to notify them in writing by a certain date and you have pay 1/12 of the tuition and etc. (about $350) Another gym has you sign a statement that states you will pay the tuition and etc and if you decide not to stay at that gym you have to pay a buy out fee. ($500).

All these financial agreements and signed and due before your child can tryout.

This seems to be new here. Does anyone else have to commit before you even know what team you are being placed on?

I understand that gyms want to stop people from going from one gym to another to see what teams they will be placed on but there seems something wrong with this.

What is others experience with this?
As for someone that deals with contracts, I suggest you mark through the provisions you don't agree with, initial them and get someone at the gym to initial as well and make sure you get their name.
Make the agreement in your favor. Unless it's taxes, nearly everything is negotiable.
Let them know what you think of this. If the gym gets enough backlash, they may be more apt to change.

We see this often in gyms: Girls will tryout at 2-5 different gyms. Those gyms believe the girls are truly interested. For example gym A will place the girl on a competitive level 3 team, but gym B offers the girl to be a flyer on their restricted 5 team without the proper tumbling skills. The girl will choose the higher level team and go all summer practicing on their level 5 team. Then right before choreo guess what… gym B says girl is not cutting it on level 5 but they have a spot for her on level 3. All the other gyms already have their choreo set and flyers in place. The game is played both ways where gyms offer higher level teams at tryouts then later move them to lower level. This season I see gyms in the local area all setting their tryouts for the same weeks and saying girls MUST attend every tryout date. I think it’s another way to make girls choose a gym up front and not waste the gyms time putting together a team with a girl who has no intentions on staying. I also see this when gyms offer free tumbling the weeks leading up to tryouts. They will hit all the gyms free tumbling sessions but not show up to tryouts. It’s disappointing on both ends if a gym selects a small junior 3 team based on the girls that tryout then 3 flyers never return and the gym then has to reconfigure the teams.

Further, my son is in Kindergarten.

If I went to have him try out for Rec Football and they told me A $250 DEPOSIT ON THE SEASON was due, I'd ask to have some of whatever they were drinking when they came up with that.

He's subject to WALK OFF THE FIELD THE FIRST DAY IN TEARS BECAUSE "I WANT CUPCAKES." OR SOMETHING ELSE.

You'd be robbing me without a gun.
Our city rec league plays in the fall and is $35, iirc. They provide uniform, helmet, and pads. The player needs own mouth guard and cleats.

The cheerleaders have the same fee. They get a tee shirt, shorts, and a bow. They don't compete. They cheer for games.

wasn't this discussed before? I'm pretty sure this wouldn't hold up in court would it? isn't there something about them not being able to charge you for services you didn't receive?

I pay $15, new people pay $25 at tryouts.
The least I've paid is $0 and that was at Heat. The most I've paid is $250 at Spirit.

$250 for a tryout?! That's more than half of my rent! I totally understand having a tryout fee, but anything over $100 is just way too much money.

OMG I need to move to wherever you live LOL...downside of living in the DC area, rent is an arm and a leg.....no actually, both arms and both legs :(
Haha, one of the benefits to living in the Midwest I suppose! Yeah, a lot of my family lives in the DC area and I've been thinking about moving there after graduation, but it is SO expensive!!

At my CP's old gym, it was $150 per cheerleader to try out. I justified it because it has to be quite time consuming to try to place 350 kids on 13 different squads. It was a bit of a sting to my wallet because I knew that her placement was quite simple...youth level 1.

Lucky for us, there are no tryouts at our new gym, so no fees. They will be lucky to get 25 girls who want to cheer for them.

Back