Tumbling Roadblock

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 8, 2010
I am beyond frustrated right now and am at a complete loss of what to do. I have not been able to land a good round off bhs tuck or layout in so so long. Rewind 2 months ago, I was progressing so well. My layout was getting prettier, more consistent, and I was throwing it during every full out. One day of practice I simply could not do it. I was landing on my knees or touching down every time and they were scary. Like my-head-almost-touching-the-ground scary. I thought it was just a bad day and didn't worry about it too much. But that is how it has gone since. The worst part is I know exactly everything i'm doing wrong, and it's not a fear thing because I throw it every time I need to, I just never land it. These past 2 weeks I went back to basics and fixed everything from my cartwheel to my back handsprings. Making sure everything technique wise was a perfect as possible. Nothing is helping. Here's what I know my issues are:
  • I don't set up. I set back. It literally looks like i'm going for another back handspring.
  • My arms don't stay by my ears in the roundoff bhs
  • I'm not tight at all. I'm literally just flopping my body over.
  • I don't straighten out my legs in a layout and I don't tuck in a tuck.
I am frustrated because I know all of this but no matter what I do I can't seem to fix it. It's making me hate cheerleading. I dread practice everyday because of tumbling. I need to get over this hump because i'm going to lose my tumbling pass in the routine soon and college tryouts are coming up. If someone has gone through this please give me any tips. I am so desperate.

I know you said that you've gone back to basics, but have you tried maybe having a coach "reteach" the skill? Round off back handspring high rebound making sure your body is in the correct position to set. Then having them basically perform the skill for you to get the right feeling back. Tumbling is extremely mental, you need to be sure to relax and get back into the right mindset. Don't worry, you'll get through this! Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Drills and conditioning! Reteach your body exactly what it's supposed to do and make it strong enough to do that.

How old are you? Is your body still growing and changing? I have seen my CP have many tumbling blocks/regressions and I notice it happens when her body changes. The "muscle mem0ry" seems to be affected as the body changes. DON'T GIVE UP! Know that this type of road block is very, very common. Just keep practicing to get back to where you were and then move forward. Tumbling progression often seems like, "One step forward, two steps back"

Back