Tumbling, Why Is It So Hard.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2012
I've posted something on here the other day about tumbling, but I am just curious, some people pick up tumbling quickly, some don't. It's like with anything in life I guess. My question is: if your the type who doesn't pick it up and really struggles (not with knowing how to do it, but getting your body to do it) how do you overcome this?

I look at gymnasts tumbling while I am training and there technique is spotless, when I tumble it feels like a hit or miss. I never know if I will pull it off or if it will be a complete disaster. I have 0 confidence, which is in a little way due to injuring myself whilst tumbling.

Is there anything I can do at home? Or anyway of just making it easier? I'm not the type to give up, but it's really not my forte and I'd love to at least get to a level of tumbling that I am proud off.

I love this forum because everyone is so supportive, no matter what skill you have.

Twins! Hahaha but really I feel the exact same way. Tumbling is a struggle for me. I'm tall, leggy, and the least flexible person in the world. We have had a new coach come to the gym from gymnastics I believe, and he's been talking a lot about the strength it takes to tumble.

Gymnasts are conditioned from the time they are little to be strong and flexible in all the right places they need to tumble. When the time comes for them to do a new skill, they have the strength to do it, they just need to learn the technique. We kind of go backwards in cheerleading. One source that has really helped me is Debbie Love's For the "Love" of Tumbling to learn stretches and conditioning I can do outside of the gym

You're problem is the 0 confidence. That's why it's a hit or miss for you. Forget about the injury, it's in the past. Just focus on the skills your doing now and work on technique. Don't move on to a new skill until you feel confident in yourself while doing that skill.

Twins! Hahaha but really I feel the exact same way. Tumbling is a struggle for me. I'm tall, leggy, and the least flexible person in the world. We have had a new coach come to the gym from gymnastics I believe, and he's been talking a lot about the strength it takes to tumble.

Gymnasts are conditioned from the time they are little to be strong and flexible in all the right places they need to tumble. When the time comes for them to do a new skill, they have the strength to do it, they just need to learn the technique. We kind of go backwards in cheerleading. One source that has really helped me is Debbie Love's For the "Love" of Tumbling to learn stretches and conditioning I can do outside of the gym

Glad someone else is in the same page as me! It's so frustrating. True, and the gymnasts I was watching were the junior international squad so amazing! They train 4 times a week for 4-5 hours each time.

My arms are like weeds, I'm a ballet dancer and look like one! So flipping onto my hands was never a concept that was drilled into me. Flexibility and control was though. So I have go body awareness but tumbling awareness, 0.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but acceptance is key. Accept that God didn't make this an easy path for you, but it's a beautiful road that you chose to walk down. It really is ok that it takes you longer than others to get a skill, what matters the most is that you don't give up!
Apply that to every difficult situation in your life and living becomes a lot more pleasant! Good luck, sweet pea!

I pick up tumbling really fast. But throwing it on my own is another story... I can pick up tumbling to the point where Im ready to throw it by myself really fast but I have the worst mental block.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but acceptance is key. Accept that God didn't make this an easy path for you, but it's a beautiful road that you chose to walk down. It really is ok that it takes you longer than others to get a skill, what matters the most is that you don't give up!
Apply that to every difficult situation in your life and living becomes a lot more pleasant! Good luck, sweet pea!

You just gave me hope. Really, that's very well said.

Back