All-Star U Of Md Cuts Cheer Program..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

State services across the board are upside down. I have no clue what they're doing with the money. I haven't seen a state trooper run radar in months, likely because stations that used to run 5 officers on duty, now average 2 on duty. I don't see things getting easier for UMd any time soon... I imagine they have not even hit bottom yet.

State services across the board are upside down. I have no clue what they're doing with the money. I haven't seen a state trooper run radar in months, likely because stations that used to run 5 officers on duty, now average 2 on duty. I don't see things getting easier for UMd any time soon... I imagine they have not even hit bottom yet.
Yeah it is a shame that the money trouble is going to hurt so many. I hope that the University still keeps them as a team just not under varsity sport status. I am afraid though that it will hurt any recruitment because many go there for the scholarships.

It seems UofM could get many millions donated for the presidents new home though...7.2 to be exact.
If it's one of those things..I pity ANY student at that school. My alma mater's former president was charged with some crime and is still involved with the school in SOME capacity. Good ol' American Education at it's finest :rolleyes:

'I am a big supporter of women's sports -- season ticket holder for Md. Women basketball for years - but I have to say that competitive cheer is about the dumbest excuse for a college sport ever. Cheerleading itself is, I think, not the best role model for our daughters.'

I just wanted to reach through my computer screen and hit her when I read this...

It seems UofM could get many millions donated for the presidents new home though...7.2 to be exact.

To be honest it would be easier to get money donated to something like that then it would to save the cheer program. There are more alumni that would donate to building a new frat house, building on campus, or presidents house then there are cheer alumni. Not saying it is right, but it is reality. Where I went to school for my first year of school 3 sororities got new houses while the dance team had no backing from the school at all (they place in top 5 every year at nationals and 2nd place the year I was there) and paid for their own everything. They got new houses because the alumni donated the money to allow it. Alumni donations can get a lot done, it just seems cheer doesn't have that many that have enough that have the money to donate what they need.

To be honest it would be easier to get money donated to something like that then it would to save the cheer program. There are more alumni that would donate to building a new frat house, building on campus, or presidents house then there are cheer alumni. Not saying it is right, but it is reality. Where I went to school for my first year of school 3 sororities got new houses while the dance team had no backing from the school at all (they place in top 5 every year at nationals and 2nd place the year I was there) and paid for their own everything. They got new houses because the alumni donated the money to allow it. Alumni donations can get a lot done, it just seems cheer doesn't have that many that have enough that have the money to donate what they need.
I'm sure you're right, it just comes at such a bad time for UofMd. Cutting multiple sports programs due to money, but then build a multi-million $ new home for the pres. The priorities just seem a little screwed up for those "alumni" when so many things are being taken away because the money isn't there, supposedly.

WHY though? Not an attack/question necessarily for you, but I'm just curious as to why it seems so much more likely that alumni are willing to donate towards BUILDINGS (which are kinda useless 'for' students in comparison to other things) but not academics or athletics??

WHY though? Not an attack/question necessarily for you, but I'm just curious as to why it seems so much more likely that alumni are willing to donate towards BUILDINGS (which are kinda useless 'for' students in comparison to other things) but not academics or athletics??

I don't know if it is like this at all schools, but if those alumni donate towards a building where I went to school then their name is attatched to that building somehow, whether it just be on the records or a plaque inside.
The sorority and fraternity houses, have alumni that build them new houses because they are lifetime members of that fraternity and it builds it up not only on the campus but with the national board.

Where I went alumni of certain things wouldn donate to certain groups, unless it was an academic on building then it wouldn'd matter what group you belonged in you would still donate. I am sure lots of alumni will donate to certain athletic programs that need it, but with cheer it is not a long standing program at UMD (not as long as most other sports) so either they don't have the alumni to back it or the other alumni are taking their money elsewhere and putting it to a program they support.

It is crappy, but it is the way many things work on a college campus. I have gotten letters since I graduated in August to donate specifically to the Law School and the Political Science department, not the Science department who needs to update their building because it is still circa 1970s or the underappreciated art department. They target certain alumni to donate to certain things.

"Oh, by the way, my child plays NCAA D-I sports, and she is quite sure she could do cheer with minimal practice"

I'd like to see this persons child try and fail at this...why don't you actually see how hard it is before you make a statement like that.

pretty sure she'd fall on her face the second she tried to do anything.

'I am a big supporter of women's sports -- season ticket holder for Md. Women basketball for years - but I have to say that competitive cheer is about the dumbest excuse for a college sport ever. Cheerleading itself is, I think, not the best role model for our daughters.'

I just wanted to reach through my computer screen and hit her when I read this...
I want nothing more than for this person to have a few daughters who want nothing more in life than to cheer. And that they beg every day to be able to until mom/dad finally cave in and eat there words when they realize how completely ignorant they were before.

Back