High School UCA Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 25, 2022
I've re-read the UCA rules and it seems that there's some changes to the uniform requirement.

It says that bows have to "Be positioned in a manner to minimize risk for all participants. This is restricted to back of the head (below
the crown)".

Our school has traditionally worn bows Navarro-style on the top of our head. They are sooo cute, and I would love for them to be seen instead of hiding behind the ponytail. Would that be illegal now?

Based on the wording of that rule, yes that would be deemed illegal. You’ll have to put the bows above the ponytail on the back of your athletes’ heads.

Based on the wording of that rule, yes that would be deemed illegal. You’ll have to put the bows above the ponytail on the back of your athletes’ heads.
Wow. Just wow. Guess we'll have to do the plain bows at the back of the head for competition season then. Of all things, this is what UCA is going to consider a "safety issue"?

This is absolutely ludicrous. Has anyone actually been injured by a bow?

This is absolutely ludicrous. Has anyone actually been injured by a bow?
....now you know I had to Google the question. Nope. I couldn't find any tragic cheer bow accidents.

Since this rule doesn't apply to College or All Star, I have to believe some HS board members felt the need to insert their safety expertise into the rules. The next rule is about dangerous bow tails:

"If the bow has tails, they must be facing backwards and down to limit the ability to fall the forehead into the participants’ eyes or block the view of the participants while performing."

It's an aesthetic rule masquerading as a safety rule. Pop Warner used to have a bunch of them. Basically, they are looking for a particular "look" and will create these rules to ensure it is accomplished.

In addition, what is a traditional sideline uniform? It says that "A traditional sideline uniform (that covers the midriff when standing at attention and has an element that is identifiable to your school – colors, logos, letters, mascot, etc.) is required for all divisions." What if we had our school colors and one letter, midriff colored, but didn't wear something "traditional"? Would that still count? I'm thinking of our comp uniforms which are bodysuit + skirt and definitely not sideline-style.

This rule is a bummer and does not allow for much flexibility for different hair types. I always like when athletes who have short and/or textured hair that makes the traditional "cheer" ponytail less or just note feasible adapt the bow to their hair. Like Kiara Nowlin used to wear a cute bow on a headband.

Truly the end of an era. Gonna miss the high ponytail with the massive bow.

I would think for those with short hair, a headband or something similar isn't the same as a huge bow with a high ponytail. I still think the rule is really dumb, similar to the time when my state made a rule that you weren't allowed to wear ponytails and had to do a bun with the bow on top.

Truly the end of an era. Gonna miss the high ponytail with the massive bow.

I would think for those with short hair, a headband or something similar isn't the same as a huge bow with a high ponytail. I still think the rule is really dumb, similar to the time when my state made a rule that you weren't allowed to wear ponytails and had to do a bun with the bow on top.
Wait what?! The bun was a RULE?!

As someone who was a side-base AND a backspot in my cheerleading career.. a stiff bow worn at the top of a low pony would create SO. MUCH. MORE of a danger to bases and backs (uhhhh corneal abrasion anybody?)

Just another reason UCA and this sport sucks now.

ETA: I can genuinely picture the way both myself, and flyer turned our heads to avoid impact with a secure catch and it would ABSOLUTELY scrape faces.

As someone who was a side-base AND a backspot in my cheerleading career.. a stiff bow worn at the top of a low pony would create SO. MUCH. MORE of a danger to bases and backs (uhhhh corneal abrasion anybody?)

Just another reason UCA and this sport sucks now.

ETA: I can genuinely picture the way both myself, and flyer turned our heads to avoid impact with a secure catch and it would ABSOLUTELY scrape faces.
They want ribbon, not stiff "allstar type" bows.

Back