High School Usa Cheer/varsity Music Announcement

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not exactly. I think signing a contract they are aware of the requirements, who owns the music right once broadcasted ls, and possibly getting insurance in case something happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing some type of fee paid as well

It's listed on the USA cheer web page
It just says they have written verification. Not what the verifications are. I totally get that this issue is separate from Varsity. But am curious as to who is actually verifying compliance. I feel like there will be big liability issues along the way.

Just hate the idea of cover songs... Just my own thoughts though. And more work for us and more money

I'll be honest, I like the idea because I am hoping not everyone will find the same cover of the same song to be aesthetically pleasing. I can only listen to "world stop.....carry on" and "I think I found myself a cheer lead er" so many times before all cheer music makes me want to shove a bic ballpoint pen through my left tympanic membrane into my midbrain...

I'll be honest, I like the idea because I am hoping not everyone will find the same cover of the same song to be aesthetically pleasing. I can only listen to "world stop.....carry on" and "I think I found myself a cheer lead er" so many times before all cheer music makes me want to shove a bic ballpoint pen through my left tympanic membrane into my midbrain...
I love your medical references.

Who Varsity certifies may not be for everyone. They just have a LOT of customers that have to be helped. Well known gyms in the know and who have resources might find someone else to use and be able to take the risk or save money. Smaller programs who dont have time to figure all this out this is a way to help them. No one is forcing anyone to use a certain vendor, they are just letting them know that music that is illegal (aka music you dont own the rights to) is not allowed to be played at a competition.

Who Varsity certifies may not be for everyone. They just have a LOT of customers that have to be helped. Well known gyms in the know and who have resources might find someone else to use and be able to take the risk or save money. Smaller programs who dont have time to figure all this out this is a way to help them. No one is forcing anyone to use a certain vendor, they are just letting them know that music that is illegal (aka music you dont own the rights to) is not allowed to be played at a competition.
So is it Varsity that is doing the certifications?

Yes, I think verification is a good idea on a lot of levels. Those fines are hefty and would certainly be too much for small gyms to weather.

And it's a good idea for the cheer industry to take steps to show the music industry that they are taking this seriously.

I'm not sure I love the idea of Varsity being part of the music too, but I can see where if the certifying agency is also taking on an assumption of the potential liability that this is actually a service to gyms, which I like.

Please don't be Mutual of Omaha... because if so, that'll only make me more suspicious.
I must be missing something because I have no idea what you are referring to?

Please don't be Mutual of Omaha... because if so, that'll only make me more suspicious.

I found this on a small business website, apparently this isn't as rare at it might seem.

"Insurance coverage policies help to protect a business when they are sued for copyright infringement. There are many different actions that can lead to potential liability including: removing copyright management information, intentionally facilitating infringement, contributing to copyright infringement by making materials available and vicariously contributing to copyright infringement through financial benefit. A copyright infringement insurance policy will provide you with a legal defense attorney if you are charged with copyright infringement and it will assume all costs of the defense if your insurance coverage is applicable"

ETA: Given the nature of this discussion, and the fact that I'm not insured, I thought I should probably cite my source

Insurance Coverage & Copyright Infringement | Chron.com

So is it Varsity that is doing the certifications?

Yes, I think verification is a good idea on a lot of levels. Those fines are hefty and would certainly be too much for small gyms to weather.

And it's a good idea for the cheer industry to take steps to show the music industry that they are taking this seriously.

I'm not sure I love the idea of Varsity being part of the music too, but I can see where if the certifying agency is also taking on an assumption of the potential liability that this is actually a service to gyms, which I like.

I must be missing something because I have no idea what you are referring to?
I was thinking the same thing. Glad you asked.
Rebel Takes On Goliath | Page 5 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Back