All-Star Usasf Communications Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

On a personal note: CP's gym is still using group texts from the coach to send information about practice etc. Parents are not included on the group text. This bothers me more than my kid potentially following their coaches public instagram profile.

From a coaches point of view we still use the group chat with the team members and coaches. There is nothing there we are trying to hide from parents. It’s just info between the team and coaches. We just discuss info about practices and maybe reminders of meet times Or to discuss things we are working on. Or offer words of encouragement to each other. Or we put videos from practice and point out things on those like maybe things they need to fix. We also have a Facebook group with the parents included that we also put videos from practices so parents can see how we are progressing.

Since my 13 yr old can’t drive herself to practice or pay the bills, I need to be in the loop for any changes really early. I don’t care that the second base needs to step in to keep the stunt up, but I need to know that practice will be from 9:00-12, instead of 9:30-12:30, or that the team wants to order hairpieces.

Since my 13 yr old can’t drive herself to practice or pay the bills, I need to be in the loop for any changes really early. I don’t care that the second base needs to step in to keep the stunt up, but I need to know that practice will be from 9:00-12, instead of 9:30-12:30, or that the team wants to order hairpieces.
The team group chat covers things going on in Practices. We email parents separately regarding those other things.

Personally I still can’t believe an organization can tell you who u can and can’t be friends with on your personal social media accounts!

I can see why they would do the announcement on social media like this in a generalized public announcement. Suzy and her mom would have all sorts of hysterics if they were suddenly defriended and unfollowed on social media.

I know that this is hockey, but it is an interesting subject. I am sure that the USASF's legal team is looking at stories like this and having their knee jerk reaction to their social media policy. It is interesting that USAHockey is involved and helping the families.

What happens next with sexual misconduct investigation into hockey coach after his suicide? | 11alive.com

This is a very difficult situation. I don't know what the answers are.

So is there specific language or clarification regarding allowing coaches to be on the team group chats/messages/lists? I know of an asst coach who thinks she’s not allowed to be on her team chat bc athletes are under 18...

I can see why they would do the announcement on social media like this in a generalized public announcement. Suzy and her mom would have all sorts of hysterics if they were suddenly defriended and unfollowed on social media.

I know that this is hockey, but it is an interesting subject. I am sure that the USASF's legal team is looking at stories like this and having their knee jerk reaction to their social media policy. It is interesting that USAHockey is involved and helping the families.

What happens next with sexual misconduct investigation into hockey coach after his suicide? | 11alive.com

This is a very difficult situation. I don't know what the answers are.

I agree, and I'm actually surprised at how many parents feel this is overstepping. Coach/athlete relationships are very prevalent in all sports, back in 2012 the NCAA was pleading with colleges/universities to put policies in place because it was such an issue (I don't know if policies are in place or not). In cheer, there are many coaches that age out and immediately go into coaching, so the age differences can be minuscule. Consenting age and parental consent doesn't matter to the law when there's a power imbalance. "Following, liking and retweeting" can be considered flirting to our MS and HS kids, to SM it can be considered favoritism and/or inappropriate. Why go there? Not to mention, I have gotten some pretty graphic material on my timeline from people I follow "liking" something on their timeline.

When parents are added to Group Me's/texts there's nothing stopping a coach from telling them only athletes are to respond and parents can text the coach privately if they have questions/concerns. It says group information needs to be "non-personal" in nature and only to communicate team activities. Fair enough. When I'm at work I expect my work to be critiqued, but I think most adults would agree that once we are away from work we don't want to be in a Group Me verbally critiqued in writing in front of our peers where it can be screen shot and tallied up by Suzie and her mom.

NCAA asks colleges to prohibit romantic relationships between athletes, coaches

Back