USASF Regional Mtg: Great Lakes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Update from the Rules Discussion

Topics of Discussion:
1) Crossovers: Discussion to limit crossovers on an athlete basis. For example, to limit athletes to perform only 2 cheer routines (2:30) in one day. Talk that it is too much on an athlete's body to compete more than twice per day.

2) Lack of Competition: Discussions to eliminate lower level divisions (i.e. Limit Tiny to level 1 only, Mini to levels 1 and 2, Youth to levels 1-3, and junior/senior to 5. Also discussion to reduce skills based on age group (i.e. no doubles at youth 5, etc).

3) Progression: Discussion on the missing link between Level 4 and Level 5 tumbling (i.e. missing full progression between layout and double full). Some people mentioned allowing fulls at level 4, but contradictory statements were made stating that this is the purpose of Senior Open 5.

4) Membership Cards: USASF stated that membership cards are in the works, but legally it is difficult based on the amount of information being requested from young athletes.

Update from the Rules Discussion

Topics of Discussion:
1) Crossovers: Discussion to limit crossovers on an athlete basis. For example, to limit athletes to perform only 2 cheer routines (2:30) in one day. Talk that it is too much on an athlete's body to compete more than twice per day.

2) Lack of Competition: Discussions to eliminate lower level divisions (i.e. Limit Tiny to level 1 only, Mini to levels 1 and 2, Youth to levels 1-3, and junior/senior to 5. Also discussion to reduce skills based on age group (i.e. no doubles at youth 5, etc).

3) Progression: Discussion on the missing link between Level 4 and Level 5 tumbling (i.e. missing full progression between layout and double full). Some people mentioned allowing fulls at level 4, but contradictory statements were made stating that this is the purpose of Senior Open 5.

4) Membership Cards: USASF stated that membership cards are in the works, but legally it is difficult based on the amount of information being requested from young athletes.

Just so everyone knows having any child carry around a picture ID with their name on it is NOT smart. A person could identify and call that child by name to their face on the card. You can see the issues that would cause.

The better way to do it is have a small RFID tag with a childs USASF number on it. This number would be long and meaningless until scanned. Then only by a secure server and connection could a picture, first name, and last initial be revealed.

The key to any type of tracking system is that not just anyone cane have access to the information. An ID carried by an athlete will eventually be used by some one for the wrong reasons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Good point Kingston, but not much different than walking around with their name sewn into the front of their jacket and their name sewn on the backpack they are wearing ;).

ETA: I am ALL FOR the tag system you have proposed :)

Good point Kingston, but not much different than walking around with their name sewn into the front of their jacket and their name sewn on the backpack they are wearing ;).

Except the usasf is not legally responsible for their uniform. In an error of people quick to sue and blame you must make sure all all data encompassing system is not at fault. Names on a uniform are not required in any capacity for this sport to function. They would be a choice by a parent or gym.

I completely agree with this. As long as the info was database accessible based on a tag number, it would serve a purpose.

Legally responsible for their name on their uniform or warmup to clarify.

Simple solution. Rfid shoe tag with an area to write your usasf number on the back. At the beginning of the year you are sent one after you register with your number already printed on it. If you lose it at a competition you pay a small fee (so incentive not to lose) to get one reprogrammed with your number like you program a hotel key. On the back a staff member writes in sharpie your number. All id tags that are registered have a number on the back that matches the rfud number. All information is only accessed when scanned and searched by this number by a secure station.

Of course king.... I didn't realize you were referring to legal issues. I thought your post was referring to those unthinkable issues!

You could just put a picture and barcode on the ID without other Personally Identifiable Information.

You would still want to have the RFID because otherwise every athlete would have to be hand scanned at every checkpoint position. RFID could be made into a shoe tag (which is hard to lose during the day of competition) and practically invisible to all the consumers. The more complexity you give to the system so that how people act at a competition will be different and more of a hassle will make everything harder. I think most people think of seniors with the ID Cards. I think of ANYONE 12 and younger (which is probably over half of cheerleaders). If we have enough trouble getting those little kids (and parents... and ESPECIALLY first year parents) to remember parts of their uniform or forget little details for our gym (were sticklers for that kinda stuff) I can't imagine what other gyms would have to go through.

So here are the positive negatives I see of both. Feel free to expand:

ID Card

Positives
Easily identifiable picture of child
Size makes it easier to keep up with between competitions

Negatives
As child grows older would need new card every year (because of picture)
Cost is much higher than RFID
harder to replace at competition
hard to keep up with at competition if you are just in your uniform
RFID could be put into card BUT then why even have a card at all

RFID Shoe Tag

Positives
Cheap (to produce and replace)
Lightweight
Invisible once on
easily replaced (at a competition)
multiple checkins can be had while at a competition just by walking over an RFID scanner bar
shoe tag is viable for the life of the tag

Negatives
No way to identify athlete without scanner

What else do you all see?

I guess the shoe tag could stay on the shoe tag could stay on the shoe between competitions, right?

I agree with what you said. Something to consider is what will the users be comfortable with. I think there are some that prefer a card.

Users as in parents? Coaches? Gym Owners? Event Producers?

And what do you do when you lose a card if this ID is what you need to do everything at a competition? Not compete?

Would it not be possible for the team mom or another gym rep to be responsible for carrying these cards to each competition for each athlete?

Back