High School Varsity Brand Bow - Won't Sit Right?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mini bobby pins work so Greg. In my profile pic they are varsity bows and after compete in three times and not fixing them they still,stand perfect with the small ones!

*i love varsity bows I think they look great! But then for another team I'm on we have bows that aren't even made out of ribbon and they're just annoying and all over the place
Yeah I do like the design but I just don't like how heavy ours is! I'm going to try mini bobby pins since they seem to be the solution for most people!

I'm basing this on your profile pic but, your pony appears to be lying flat against your head. When you put your hair half up/half down try putting your pony a little higher on your head and then use 2-3 nonslip bands on top of each other so they create a "post". Your hair may have a slight "fountain" effect but, when you put the bow on top of the nonslip bands (as close to the base as possible), the hair/bands should help support the bow in an upward position and the bow should correct any fountain effect. Hope that helps, if not, a fabric store employee may be able to suggest something to give it more support.
Thanks!
Bowfixedjpg_zps11af723f.jpg
tried this and it worked great! :)

Do what catlady said.

Also, you can try some Stiffen Quick. It's spray stuff like starch. Spray the bow, stuff the loops with toilet paper and take it out once the stiffener dries. You can buy it at JoAnn's or Michael's and it's the best stuff ever.

I don't think we've ever had a uniform bow that I didn't have to take apart and rebuild.

I will not comment as to the quality of the varsity bows, or anyone else's bow(s), but as a bow maker, I will say that you should not "have" to use bobby pins or anything else to hold your bows down. The reason why this is necessary is because of the placement of the elastic band. if the band is placed towards/close to the top of the bow they will flip up. when the elastic is placed directly in back center or below they stay flat......the issue here is where you are putting your ponytail. if it is a high pony tail, as most cheerleaders for competitions do, the elastic band needs to be in back center or lower. If it is a game bow where most girls use a lower poney tail, the elastic band can be more towards the top......all bows should have the pony O in the center in order to be worn with either hair styles......
Mass producing bows without specifications will result in the ponyO being placed in different places.....as long as it is in the back somewhere.......however, this does not work. For some it will be great because of the hair style, while for others it will suck for the same reason.
I know there are many people out there that feels like it is a headache to work with small bow vendors for several different reasons, but I would recommend that you find someone and work with them to get exactly what you are looking for. I think this is easier, than trying to sit with your varsity rep and explain exactly what you want when it comes to bows and get exactly what you are looking for along with the perfect fit.

I ordered varsity bows once the very first year they offered them and sent them immediately back for a refund. Those were the cheapest and lowest quality bows I've ever seen. They could have changed since then, but I will never order from them again.

@tosh
This has been a most awesome tutorial. I make bows for CP and her friends sometimes and putting the elastic low on the bow sounds like something I should experiment with. I always put it dead center.

And mini bobby pins, here I come.

I'm basing this on your profile pic but, your pony appears to be lying flat against your head. When you put your hair half up/half down try putting your pony a little higher on your head and then use 2-3 nonslip bands on top of each other so they create a "post". Your hair may have a slight "fountain" effect but, when you put the bow on top of the nonslip bands (as close to the base as possible), the hair/bands should help support the bow in an upward position and the bow should correct any fountain effect. Hope that helps, if not, a fabric store employee may be able to suggest something to give it more support.

This is what I do always.......I will add that once the hair is up and the bow is in I then section the "ponytail" part in 2 and pull gently until my CP says Ouch..........(LMAO). In 10 years her bow has fallen out once........little bit to me......."I can do it....I can do it" Yea....no ya can't!

Back