All-Star Warmup Standards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe we need bigger standards. I was being on the minimal but maybe I need to raise expectations?

Whenever coaches invite me to competitions they know how I am about safety, they always tell me to bring my "heart meds" for warm ups because they know I am going to flip out when I see so much unsafe risk management.

I have not been in a warm up area for 18 months. I refuse to keep watching something I know by it's mechanisms in place will lead to preventable injuries.

According to the law an accident can only be an accident if you could not foresee it.

If adequate warm up time is not given and then an injury occurs that is not an accident. We know from experience that if you do not warm up properly you exponentially increase the risk of injury so when an injury occurs because warm up was too short of time or over an hour ago and the athletes are no longer warmed up it is not an accident. If we can predict it than it's not an accident.

These are the types of risk parents are not signing off for on a waiver, these are not inherent risks of the sport but preventable injuries due to poor risk management.

What covers all situations reasonably? 25? 22?

It needs to be high enough to safely accommodate coed basket tosses. My team doesn't throw tosses in our gym because the ceiling is too low (our coed 6 team is the only one this is an issue for). We rely on warmups and the hospitality of another gym periodically throughout the season to throw ours.

It needs to be high enough to safely accommodate coed basket tosses. My team doesn't throw tosses in our gym because the ceiling is too low (our coed 6 team is the only one this is an issue for). We rely on warmups and the hospitality of another gym periodically throughout the season to throw ours.
minimum height should be 25 feet

Whenever coaches invite me to competitions they know how I am about safety, they always tell me to bring my "heart meds" for warm ups because they know I am going to flip out when I see so much unsafe risk management.

I have not been in a warm up area for 18 months. I refuse to keep watching something I know by it's mechanisms in place will lead to preventable injuries.

According to the law an accident can only be an accident if you could not foresee it.

If adequate warm up time is not given and then an injury occurs that is not an accident. We know from experience that if you do not warm up properly you exponentially increase the risk of injury so when an injury occurs because warm up was too short of time or over an hour ago and the athletes are no longer warmed up it is not an accident. If we can predict it than it's not an accident.

These are the types of risk parents are not signing off for on a waiver, these are not inherent risks of the sport but preventable injuries due to poor risk management.

Standardization of warmups should provide help for all of that. If you know everywhere you go has a set warmup that is the same you can practice it at your gym. You would increase hitting and decrease injuries.

As soon as I hear about the bad warm up area during a comp....I cringe. Or when you see people not throwing certain passes and I ask what happen and I hear "she/he couldnt warm it up......"

Now this isn't to take all the responsibility off the coach. We do choose what our kids are expected to attempt. But I feel as coaches if we have appropriate warmup time we can make more reasonable decisions.

I also have not thought of a good solution to the extra practicing aspect.

We also have had a competition before and the stunting mat was in one room thats always super hot, then you have to walk to a different room (or hallway in this case) and there's the tumbling strip, then go to a different room for the full non spring mat and you have to move formations up or back for stunting and pyramids because there is big lights hanging from the ceiling that are probably 2 feet around. This is one example of it but the warm ups are always different a this venue but i remember this happened twice the one year.

Why? What skill goes anywhere near 25'?

College Level 6 baskets with little flyers thrown on big boys. Not saying its common but that would cover every scenario I would think.

Just imagine if she flipped, Her legs would have probably hit. Disclaimer, I don't know how high the ceiling was.

Back