All-Star Warmup Standards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
I know all warmup areas are different but I was thinking about this again yesterday. What if there were some basic requirements that all warmup situations must meet, but still gave the flexibility for Eps to create the area however needed? So in this example as long as the EP's warmup is the same or MORE than what is asked for that is fine.

My idea was:

All warmups must be at least 12 minutes on skill related mats (you can't say stretching is part of the warmup mats).

All warmups must include a full floor (9 panels) for at least 4 minutes.

All warmups must include two tumbling spring strips (I forget the length of a full floor diagonal but that length) with side mats sloping down.

No warmup will be allowed to put any less than 3 mats together on flat floor for warmup.

All warmup stations may not be less than 4 minutes.

This would allow Cheersport to have its hour long warmup but also everyone else to adjust. Any thoughts?

Oh, and while we are at it, all spring floors (whether in warmups or competing) must have an extra half foot after out of bounds and padded sloping sides.

I'm not against a recommendation for it but that I think would be harder to enforce. As well kids can bring a small bottle of water usually with them.

Along with the tumbling one, there needs to be a minimum high restriction. I remember tumbling warmup being down a hallway with low ceilings. And that's just not safe. You couldn't throw anything more than a handspring.

So minimum height requirement? 30 feet? I think a universal rule for the entire warmup is smarter than individual station heights (easier to enforce too).

I am going to summarize this into one proposal for voting. Keep em coming.

Feel free to throw in why this would be a bad idea

So yesterday, our flyers were touching the ceiling on the "stretch" mat and our tumblers had to break their tumbling passes in halves since the spring strip was about 46 feet (corner to corner is about 68).

But, I have been to worse

So minimum height requirement? 30 feet? I think a universal rule for the entire warmup is smarter than individual station heights (easier to enforce too).

I am going to summarize this into one proposal for voting. Keep em coming.

Feel free to throw in why this would be a bad idea

I wouldn't go 30 that would knock out a lot of venues, 16 feet would let you stunt but you would have to possibly tone down some baskets

What covers all situations reasonably? 25? 22?

Regarding safety.. I think a well lighted area should be important and venues where you can't practice in hallways, their should be an open practice area for you to work on things. I notice competitions with bad warm ups have more injuries during performances.

I completely agree. And I think performances hitting would increase if a solid warmup was created. And even add if it was really standardized and the exact same everywhere there would be an even higher hit rate.

I mean everyone here practices warmups for each competition, right? Making it the same everywhere would be fantastic!

My dead simple but no one on the other side would agree warmup is take however long it takes one team to compete and how long before the next team in the same division goes X three on a full spring floor.

5 minutes between teams means 15 minutes of full spring warmup. Need 3 full floors per division. 6 floors for one hall two simultaneous divisions.

Is there any way that there could be minimum requirements set up for athletic trainers? I always have pre-wrap and tape, kleenex, first aid kit, etc but there are always times when you need more. 2 out of our first 3 competitions had huge gushing bloody nose problems. One of them wasn't even in warmup- a girl on my junior team (who apparently just gets bloody noses sometimes) started gushing blood when they were doing hair and makeup. Thankfully they were able to quickly locate EP staff to get ice and more tissues, etc. We had a mini get bopped in the nose at a competition, and the coach was able to get kleenex and stuff out of her bag but it wasn't enough. The EP staff in warmup took almost 10 minutes to get help, and this was after there was no water or trainer in the warmup area. Really?

Like my coaches always say, you do on stage what you do in practice... So if warmup wasn't solid, people are definitely going to go out on the floor unsure and there's a greater chance that things won't hit..

Back