College Weight And Height For A College Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 15, 2013
So I'm 5'5 and 135lbs and I've flown on my JV cheer squad last year, but I wanted to know if my height and weight is too big to fly in college? I have a lot of muscle, I'm a strong tumbler and base but for college I know I have to fly in coed stunts. Should i try to lose weight? Thank you!

No most flyers don't squeeze and suck in their stomachs but I do it I never fall and I weigh way more than alot think but the more you squeeze and suck in your stomach your bases will think you lost weight

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

So I'm 5'5 and 135lbs and I've flown on my JV cheer squad last year, but I wanted to know if my height and weight is too big to fly in college? I have a lot of muscle, I'm a strong tumbler and base but for college I know I have to fly in coed stunts. Should i try to lose weight? Thank you!
I don't really want to go into height and weight for flyers, but are you dead set on cheering at a school that has strictly coed team? Do you reaaaaally want to fly or are you open to being a base or tumbler who will just fly in basic stunts? What colleges are you looking into?

I won't sugar coat it. Yes, some colleges have weight requirements for their flyers. When I cheered co-ed in college (early-mid 90s) our team had a weight limit of 120 for flyers, no matter your height or your body fat %. I watched a girl who was a great flyer and tumbler get cut the first day of tryouts because she weighed 121. Yes, first step of tryouts was to get on the scale, and if you were over 120 you didn't continue on with the tryout. Horrible. I know that at many schools this isn't the case and that coaches look for skill and an overall "athletic look". I would ask outright if there is a weight limit, and if there is-I would look at different schools. Any coach that thinks that a weight limit is appropriate or safe isn't someone I would want to cheer for. It's just asking for injuries and eating disorders.

This is such a sensitive issue for young women wanting to Fly in college, especially at the Coed level. My suggestion is to go to as many clinics/practices of the programs you are interested in as possible. Look at the their flyers, stunt with their bases. You can get a 1st hand idea if you are a good "fit".

Size isn't everything though , and I'll use my CP as an example. She is 5'2" and approx. 90lbs. At one point she was extremely interested in trying out for UK's Blue squad...but was told she may be a bit tall, and decided on SFA after she was recruited by a stunter who saw her potential. At SFA she was the tallest flyer on Coed and then again at University of Memphis. Even on team USA she is one of the tallest top girls...but that extra height is in her legs...and makes for pretty lines.
Point is....height weight isn't everything...but realistically ..the ELITE programs would steer you more to all girl and maybe mid layer, basing, and tumbling.

Best wishes to you!

Flyer sizes are all over board. My recommendation is to learn to base, not because you'll HAVE to, but because it's a good idea to be well rounded.

If you want to cheer on a coed team in college yet still want to base, I would look for schools with small coed teams where there is a more limited number of boys, and coaches always have the option to put you in as a flyer or a base.

This is such a sensitive issue for young women wanting to Fly in college, especially at the Coed level. My suggestion is to go to as many clinics/practices of the programs you are interested in as possible. Look at the their flyers, stunt with their bases. You can get a 1st hand idea if you are a good "fit".

Size isn't everything though , and I'll use my CP as an example. She is 5'2" and approx. 90lbs. At one point she was extremely interested in trying out for UK's Blue squad...but was told she may be a bit tall, and decided on SFA after she was recruited by a stunter who saw her potential. At SFA she was the tallest flyer on Coed and then again at University of Memphis. Even on team USA she is one of the tallest top girls...but that extra height is in her legs...and makes for pretty lines.
Point is....height weight isn't everything...but realistically ..the ELITE programs would steer you more to all girl and maybe mid layer, basing, and tumbling.

Best wishes to you!
Wow, that is shocking to me to hear that 5' 2" is considered tall for a flyer! Both of my CPs are 5' 2" and they are short compared to most of their friends. My oldest who weighs 115 lbs wants to cheer in college and has never been a flyer. She started taking co-Ed stunting classes and the coaches were amazed at how quickly she picked it up and how easy she was to put in the air. She has an athletic build and she has a lot of core strength. I don't think she cares whether she is on a co-Ed or all-girl because she has been a main base her entire cheer career but she wants to increase her chances of making a squad. She has 2 years before she has to worry about tryouts so I am hoping that she continues to improve her flying abilities.

I'm 5'4 and about 108. I've been a flyer up until this year. I'm thinking ill be a flyer in college, but I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll base if I'm on an all girl team and fly on a coed? I already know how to coed stunt, I'm just curious as to what y'all think I should go for

I'm 5'4 and about 108. I've been a flyer up until this year. I'm thinking ill be a flyer in college, but I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll base if I'm on an all girl team and fly on a coed? I already know how to coed stunt, I'm just curious as to what y'all think I should go for

You're itty bitty! Since you can also base you could probably do both if you're on all girl. Do you like flying or basing more?

You'd probably be fine doing either. I'm 5'5" and 110 and I flew and based on my small coed team. Depends on where they need you.

Back