What Did I Get Myself Into...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2014
Hi! I am in my second year of college, and upon arrival from the summer found out that my school had started a cheer squad. Apparently if you are a guy with previous cheer experience, the girls seek you out pretty quick and next thing you know you are being asked to go toss-to-hands on the first practice. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I am doing. I haven't had to lift competitively since high school and have taken it easy on the side of lifting weights rather than pushing my body. I find myself trying to scramble and put together a workout regiment for the week, working around our practices, and trying to find any and all information on coed stunting that I can. I would seriously love any help on how to improve strength wise so I can get my flyer up high enough on the toss and be able to extend her.
Thanks!

Sure! @backAgain it sounds like scheduling and structure are what you are having the most issues with?

What are your plans for the years?

This year is the first year our university has a squad, and we are only cheering at our guys basketball home games. We have practice twice a week to straighten out chants, cheers, and stunts. The secret hope, that I believe most of us have, is that we could get good enough to compete at some level. My goal is that by the end of the season, my flyer and I are able to pull off stunts together and hopefully have some sense of tumbling. I just don't know what I need to be doing to improve other than hitting the gym, conditioning, and putting in extra stunt practice.

This year is the first year our university has a squad, and we are only cheering at our guys basketball home games. We have practice twice a week to straighten out chants, cheers, and stunts. The secret hope, that I believe most of us have, is that we could get good enough to compete at some level. My goal is that by the end of the season, my flyer and I are able to pull off stunts together and hopefully have some sense of tumbling. I just don't know what I need to be doing to improve other than hitting the gym, conditioning, and putting in extra stunt practice.

What you said is exactly what you want to work on. The key to getting better at cheerleading is have a definitive plan. Tumbling is easy because most of the ground work has been laid for you. Once you have a solid handstand (that is correct) and a cartwheel start working on backbends and kickovers. Once those are you can start solid handsprings.

For stunting really focus on toss platform to build height and stability. To me a platform is where you toss and catch the stunt but the feet are together. I really considering this a progression and a drill, but not something you want to perform for a crowd / comp. For control and technique work hands extensions and hands libs, then bump n go extensions and libs. Toss extensions and libs come eventually. Work on grounding yourself while stunting. You should never move.

Working out you want to do kettle bells, hang cleans, dumbell military presses (but one arm at a time), lots of core work, squats, and bicep curls. Crossfit is an excellent workout style to develop good cheerleading, just be careful you choose a good gym and have restraint. It really isnt good for the human body to workout to complete exhaustion every day.

@King Thank you so much! Will pass this on to my flyer who has more experience than me and put this into practice right away!

Welcome to the club!
For weight training, work on explosive lifts (squats and jumping through them, etc), do a lot of shoulder/chest/back/core work too with light to medium weights. No need to max out just get lots of reps in.

For stunting, work the basics. You are going to hit a wall with the basics after awhile. Keep pushing, eventually it will click and the wall will be gone and you'll be ready to work on tons of new skills! The wall is usually around when you are working hands lib, hands cupie, and toss libs. Focus on your toss technique as well as your hand technique (your grips).

Some things to help with your toss and grips: Get a huge bag of kitty litter and cover it in duct tape. You now have a weighted torso to work on tosses with. Toss it up and keep the bag vertical without wobbling or tilting. then you know your flick is right. Also ask your flyer for an old pair of her cheer shoes, keep these by your couch and work on you grips while you watch tv (hands to lib). You can take that a step further and tape the right shoe to an old basketball so it has balance and some weight in it.

Let me know if you have other questions, happy to help!
S/o to @Mamarazzi for tagging me!

Hi! I missed this thread! Exactly what King and Scotty said. I would also add get to know your flyers (and spotters) and build trust with them. The more they trust you the more likely they are to do stupid stuff and experiment with new skills. It's a fun ride! Good luck and keep us updated [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I love Fierce Board. This guy came on and was vulnerable in his post and in return he received a lot of really great advice! I love that there are people with so much experience in different areas that just about anyone can get advice about just about anything cheer related if they are open to it. It just makes me happy!

This is why I love Fierce Board. This guy came on and was vulnerable in his post and in return he received a lot of really great advice! I love that there are people with so much experience in different areas that just about anyone can get advice about just about anything cheer related if they are open to it. It just makes me happy!

I also think these bits of advice haven't been discussed to death. Coed stunt training is an area that I haven't seen a ton of attention brought to and I think it's fantastic that there are knowledgeable guys here!

A steadily increasing weight lifting plan along with good Nutrition ( I personally recommend adding hemp powder to your diet)
Also remember to use more free weights than machines that will guid flexibility and strength at the same time.

A steadily increasing weight lifting plan along with good Nutrition ( I personally recommend adding hemp powder to your diet)
Also remember to use more free weights than machines that will guid flexibility and strength at the same time.
Interesting, I've never heard of that!

I would also add that one should speak to one's physician before making big changes to one's diet.

**ACE: we're coming to your city.**

Back