OT What Did You Go To College For?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Can you explain a little more about what Information Systems is?

It's kinda of a hybrid of a masters in computer science and an MBA, with emphasis more on the technical. I've actually been thinking about switching to getting an information security/assurance master's instead, since I'm doing more and more security functions in my current job.

There's a crazy amount of fiercers on here that are web design/computer science, which makes me happy. I took a web class in high school and decided I loved doing that. Slippery Rock's communication program has a track called emerging technology and multimedia which includes web/design classes, so I declared that. I've taken the web classes (i'll be going into my junior year this fall) already and I'm afraid that I'm not proficient enough in it to make it a career or that I'll forget what I do know in the next two years before I graduate :| I picked up a concentration within communication this year (I was ahead on credits and had extra space) so I'm doing public relations with it. Does anyone who has had either of these majors know of the job outlook or types of companies one could work for within it?

Ashley BuegeSmalls

There's a crazy amount of fiercers on here that are web design/computer science, which makes me happy. I took a web class in high school and decided I loved doing that. Slippery Rock's communication program has a track called emerging technology and multimedia which includes web/design classes, so I declared that. I've taken the web classes (i'll be going into my junior year this fall) already and I'm afraid that I'm not proficient enough in it to make it a career or that I'll forget what I do know in the next two years before I graduate :| I picked up a concentration within communication this year (I was ahead on credits and had extra space) so I'm doing public relations with it. Does anyone who has had either of these majors know of the job outlook or types of companies one could work for within it?

Ashley BuegeSmalls

It's not hard to refresh on what you learned. Basic web dev is fairly easy to pick back up.

That being said, I don't really know the job prospects for something like that. A lot of web app development want CS/Engineering degrees because you're building complicated web applications with a lot of back end code. I looked into doing a New Media Design major at one of the schools I was applying to, but it seemed like the best route with that would be free-lancing, which was something I did not want. I wanted a 9-5 job.

You're kind of in an awkward spot because you're not a full blown designer, they take tons of art classes and have fancy portfolios and so forth, and you're not a programmer. Everyone and their mom knows HTML these days.

Sorry, hope I didn't get you down too much. It can only help to have web experience, keep working on it on your own time. Get some books, read up, I wouldn't worry too much about losing it.

I think you should really sit down with career services and work with them to figure out what you can/want to do. I'm not familiar enough with that program, but it seems like since you'll have a comm degree you could start out somewhere as a social network manager/blogger of some sort.

It's not hard to refresh on what you learned. Basic web dev is fairly easy to pick back up.

That being said, I don't really know the job prospects for something like that. A lot of web app development want CS/Engineering degrees because you're building complicated web applications with a lot of back end code. I looked into doing a New Media Design major at one of the schools I was applying to, but it seemed like the best route with that would be free-lancing, which was something I did not want. I wanted a 9-5 job.

You're kind of in an awkward spot because you're not a full blown designer, they take tons of art classes and have fancy portfolios and so forth, and you're not a programmer. Everyone and their mom knows HTML these days.

Sorry, hope I didn't get you down too much. It can only help to have web experience, keep working on it on your own time. Get some books, read up, I wouldn't worry too much about losing it.

I think you should really sit down with career services and work with them to figure out what you can/want to do. I'm not familiar enough with that program, but it seems like since you'll have a comm degree you could start out somewhere as a social network manager/blogger of some sort.

Thanks for the input. yeah, the whole reason i didn't do the computer sci program is because I didn't like that and felt that it and web were two separate type of things, now I realize more that they overlap quite a bit in job postings. I'm hoping the PR helps me out, as to possibly do something with PR that maybe they also need someone who does web. I'm not sure. I wouldnt be changing my major now, because I do like what I"m doing, nor do I have an interest in any other majors in particular. Growing up, decisions, can I go back to just worrying about stunts and tumbling? :rolleyes:

In addition to looking into what employment options you have with your degree I also recommend you look into the ease of getting hired in that field once your done with school. Also, depending on what you are going for, you should look into if there are any post graduate requirements you need and how long it takes to get that.

I started out majoring in Math and going Pre-Law at St. John's in New York. I quickly realized that I was one of millions getting a law degree, and decided to re-evaluate what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to go into family law, so I began looking into the different jobs that dealt with the family, but in different aspects. I then settled on becoming a therapist, so I went ahead and got my BS in Psychology. This degree is very limiting if you want to make enough money to support yourself on this degree alone. So before I was done with my BS, I had already made up my mind to get my PHD. After doing some research I decided to settle on my Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. Here is why I say to look into post graduate requirements. It's all well and good to get this masters, however, I was unable to be reimbursed for services from insurance companies without a Licence. Which meant working for a year (depending on the state) with crappy pay since I had to work a non-profit, study my butt off, and pass a boards exam. However, now that I am licenced, I can accept insurance from my clients, and only get paid $20 (on average) less than a PHD therapist. So make sure you look into your options, and where you can get the most bang for your buck. My masters was expensive enough, and it was probably only half of what a PHD program would cost!

Ashley BuegeSmalls

I wish I could help, but I'll just be a Fresman this year so I'm not sure. But this year my computer programming teacher said that computer science related jobs were in high demand. That probably doesn't help much, sorry!

Thanks for the input. yeah, the whole reason i didn't do the computer sci program is because I didn't like that and felt that it and web were two separate type of things, now I realize more that they overlap quite a bit in job postings. I'm hoping the PR helps me out, as to possibly do something with PR that maybe they also need someone who does web. I'm not sure. I wouldnt be changing my major now, because I do like what I"m doing, nor do I have an interest in any other majors in particular. Growing up, decisions, can I go back to just worrying about stunts and tumbling? :rolleyes:

You're right, you shouldn't change your major, I hope I didn't imply that. I think your best bet is to focus on Communications jobs (that is your major right? just with the web track?) where your experience with web dev can help you.

If you really *do* want to be a web developer, you can do that, but it's not your degree that would get you that job, it's how much work you put into it on your own learning HTML5/CSS3/Javascript and keeping up with current trends - maybe try and have some side projects, find an organization to make a website for.

Maybe newcheerdad has some input, I think he works in the field too.

You're right, you shouldn't change your major, I hope I didn't imply that. I think your best bet is to focus on Communications jobs (that is your major right? just with the web track?) where your experience with web dev can help you.

If you really *do* want to be a web developer, you can do that, but it's not your degree that would get you that job, it's how much work you put into it on your own learning HTML5/CSS3/Javascript and keeping up with current trends - maybe try and have some side projects, find an organization to make a website for.

Maybe newcheerdad has some input, I think he works in the field too.

At least where I live, there are a lot of comp sci grads competing for a small number of jobs. So if you're going to try to get into the field with a less traditional major, here are a couple of hints:

-Build up a portfolio. Even if it means designing a site for free, that's better than not having experience. If you build anything, make sure you're using an in-demand paradigm. I love coding in classic ASP, but there isn't much call these days for that.

-Take advantage of any opportunities your school has to learn new languages or concepts. If you can work a computer science elective into your schedule, do it. Multimedia design is something else that can help get you in the door if you're looking to do more of a creative/marketing-type position.

-Intern, intern, intern. Be especially aware of small companies where you might get to wear multiple hats - someone with communication skills and technical knowledge can be valuable in a small PR or marketing shop. But the big companies sometimes offer better benefits and opportunities to get hired right out of college. In either case, it's important to get experience and network as much as possible with people in the field now - not after you graduate.

Did my undergraduate degree in Linguistics and my graduate degree in Speech/Language Pathology. Although I initially had no idea what the field was, when I was a freshman in college my mother sent me an article in which fields were wide open and hiring, and Speech was one of them. Not the first or last time I listened to my mother! I went on to work in a Special Ed preschool, then a children's rehab hospital and finally worked for myself in Early Intervention. Sometimes you have to do a little research in where the jobs are and you might fall into something you find you love and are able to get a job in.

At least where I live, there are a lot of comp sci grads competing for a small number of jobs. So if you're going to try to get into the field with a less traditional major, here are a couple of hints:

-Build up a portfolio. Even if it means designing a site for free, that's better than not having experience. If you build anything, make sure you're using an in-demand paradigm. I love coding in classic ASP, but there isn't much call these days for that.

Classic ASP?! I used to do that, now I'm a .NET girl :)

newcheerdad Ashley Thank you both for your imput. I been looking for internships or just different job desciptions and what they call for online lately as well to get an idea of what I need to stand out. I took a on campus job last year for the housing dept. where I'm a web assistant... needless to say, there is very little web involved so my title is misleading, however, I found a job posting this summer for our PR department for the University and they were looking for someone either emerging tech or PR, and I'm both. I'm taking that job for this year since I feel like it'd give me much more worth it experience for my major. :)

All throughout middle and high school I thought I wanted to go to school for forensic science. I went to college for 3 years towards my BS and last year I took my electives in digital photography and photo imaging and changed my major to photography with a minor in graphic design. Now I am taking a year off from going to school full time. I will probably take one or two classes just to make sure it's what I definitely want to do. I will also be looking to work as an assistant or in a portrait studio to get a little experience (and possibly make a little money in addition to my Red Robin tips).
I already photograph a few of my friends kids and I just carry my camera with me everywhere just to start building up my portfolio. I can't imagine doing anything else with the rest of my life.
Something might sound amazing now but college is for experiencing new things. Take as many elective classes as you can. Even one during the summer at your local community college will help you to realize exactly what it is you want to do. It's probably going to take me a total of 6 or 7 years to finish school because of the path I took but I would rather that than to be done in 4, get out into the field, hate what I'm doing, and then have to go back. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to figure out what you love, just as long as you find your passion in what you want to do.

newcheerdad Ashley Thank you both for your imput. I been looking for internships or just different job desciptions and what they call for online lately as well to get an idea of what I need to stand out. I took a on campus job last year for the housing dept. where I'm a web assistant... needless to say, there is very little web involved so my title is misleading, however, I found a job posting this summer for our PR department for the University and they were looking for someone either emerging tech or PR, and I'm both. I'm taking that job for this year since I feel like it'd give me much more worth it experience for my major. :)

I'll agree with the others that having any work experience will go a long way when looking for jobs after graduation.

And your selling point to any employer could be the ability to "talk tech" but also talk the general side. I was able to do something similar in my career. I could just as easily talk programming with the tech folks but then be able to "translate" that back to a user in a way they could understand. Granted this was a few years ago, but it was a great skill for me to have (and there were very few others who could do it.)

Back