All-Star What Do You Do It For?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do it (well did :( ) for that moment when you get to the dance, and you know you just killed the rest of your routine. It's pure exhilaration-you did your part, and when it all works out and you get to the dance, you feel like your on top of the world. With the lights flashing, and the crowd in front of you, my heart just wswells up with pride. I'm so sappy..

I do it because I honestly don't know what I would do without cheerleading. It helped me break out of my shell, and not be scared to be in front of people. I love that feeling of being up there in front of so many people and having all eyes on you and the girls/boys you spend the majority of your life with. Its also like the greatest feeling in the world when you hit your routine.

I do it because I could never imagine doing anything else! Like my screen name, cheer really is my life and I don't know what I'd do without it! Of course my favorite part is performing and everyone watching and cheering for you!

Ah, so many reasons! <3
But one main reason...: Three seasons ago I quit cheering. I thought I'd never go back, because I'd gotten a bad mental block and it was so frustrating to me. But a little bit before tryouts of the upcoming season, I watched an old video from UCA of the previous year where I almost fell in my stunt, but I saved it... and I remembered how amazing I felt at the split second in the air when I realized that I'd kept myself from falling (especially at one of our biggest competitions of the year), and that's what caused me to come back. I just love the feeling of pride and accomplishment that cheer brings to me... even though I still have that mental block, I feel so proud of myself whenever I throw tumbling even with spot just because I pushed through it and was able to accomplish what I set out to. Going out on that floor and giving an amazing performance, hitting all my stunts with a huge smile on my face, and ending the routine practically in tears because I'm so thrilled with my and my team's performance... I'll never forget the feeling <3
So really, I can't sum it up in one word.. clearly! But I do it for the rush of emotions cheering brings to me; for those times when it makes me feel on top of the world <3

I (did) it for the love of teamwork. All star cheerleading was my first sport and first experience being on a team. I loved working side by side with so many people all hungry for the same goal. It gave me a purpose greater than myself, it gave me confidence, it gave me lifelong friendships, and it also gave me a lot of weird looks from strangers when I was marking routines while standing in line somewhere or walking through the mall : )

lol-cats_i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg

I do it because of that feeling of hitting a routine, running off stage, hugging your teammates while in tears, and realizing that all of those practices when you felt you couldn't pull through or couldn't make it were worth it!!! Realizing that you put every ounce of energy you had on that mat, and having no regrets.
Also because I don't know what I would do without cheer!!! I've tried so many times to stop thinking about stunts, or playing so and so's Worlds 2009 mix in my head, and I just can't do it!!! Before I started cheer, I was so quiet, and it has brought me out of my shell and allowed me to be myself!!!
Cheer has done so much for me, and I am never looking back. <3

And now I'll actually respond, though everyone already said what I was going to say pretty much...

I do it because cheerleading saved me. I was an outcast who never had a place anywhere in life except on the competition floor and on the stage of the music hall. Stunting and performing were the only areas in my life that my parents could look at and say "wow, she really excels at this." Without that sense of importance, belonging, self, etc, I would not have made it past high school. I started as an alternate to varsity my sophomore year, and all the others scoffed at me and wrote me off, as if I had nothing to contribute to the team. Then, one day, I saved their buns when a girl called out sick the morning of competition. I was the only alternate, and I hadn't missed a single practice or game or competition all season. It killed me to sit there and watch them have all the fun, but I continued holding onto the hope that my day would come, and it did. The flyer had a fit, "I'm not stunting with her." etc.... all because I was "of the nerd persuasion." The coach actually said this in front of me "What do you want me to do? She's the only option left." Guess whose stunt hit that hadn't hit all season? Guess who became permanent base for that group? Guess who suddenly got respect, and became the most in-demand base and back on the team for the next two years?

On the outside, I looked like nothing. All I needed was a chance to show what I could do. This is why I coach. I coach for that kid who no one wanted to give a chance, for that kid who just isn't good at anything, but may really have the heart for it, for that kid who is just a little different from all the others, and just needs someone to believe in them, etc. I will always believe that this is a sport for everyone- if you're shy, tall, short, big, small, loud, etc. It builds so much character and provides so many opportunities for growth. It's truly amazing<3

I have to say, that when I was thinking of starting this thread earlier, I was hoping that people would get it. Some of these stories have been so touching. I truly believe that coaching saved my life. I'm so glad that we have all found something that keeps us going, makes us a better person or gets us involved with our kids.

I have to say, that when I was thinking of starting this thread earlier, I was hoping that people would get it. Some of these stories have been so touching. I truly believe that coaching saved my life. I'm so glad that we have all found something that keeps us going, makes us a better person or gets us involved with our kids.

Seriously an awesome tread/post, reiterates everything I know and love about cheering and coaching<3 My kids are my life, like my very own, and I just can't imagine life without them!:)

Back